[Salix-main] xdg-open and midori

Frédéric Galusik
Hi,

I have uploaded djemos packages zzz-settings-openbox and noticed that
he used sed to patch the xdg-open script to add midori to the browsers
list.
After uploading it, I thought a bit and I think that it is not a good idea.

xdg-open has to be patched, yes, because salix use midori for now as
default browser, but xdg-open has to be patched from the original
package.
In this way, all salix users can benefit from this addon, and not only
openbox users ;)

So, I have patched the Slackware package.
You can find it here:
http://people.salixos.org/fredg/packages/xdg-utils/1.1.0-rc1/

Tell me what do you think about it and test it.
I will then add it then to our repo.

--fredg
--
Google+: https://plus.google.com/108565419331171281999
GPG ID: 2E31334B

Re: [Salix-main] xdg-open and midori

Dimitris Tzemos
I have done this with a SLKBUILD a week ago for slackel and upload it on
slackel repos.
http://www.slackel.gr/repo/source/openbox/xdg-utils/

It is just a different way.

Στις Πεμ 31 Ιαν 2013 19:41:14 Frédéric Galusik έγραψε:

> Hi,
>
> I have uploaded djemos packages zzz-settings-openbox and noticed that
> he used sed to patch the xdg-open script to add midori to the browsers
> list.
> After uploading it, I thought a bit and I think that it is not a good idea.
>
> xdg-open has to be patched, yes, because salix use midori for now as
> default browser, but xdg-open has to be patched from the original
> package.
> In this way, all salix users can benefit from this addon, and not only
> openbox users ;)
>
> So, I have patched the Slackware package.
> You can find it here:
> http://people.salixos.org/fredg/packages/xdg-utils/1.1.0-rc1/
>
> Tell me what do you think about it and test it.
> I will then add it then to our repo.
>
> --fredg

Re: [Salix-main] xdg-open and midori

Cyrille Pontvieux-2
Good idea.
Is it possible to have both in one? the SLKBUILD of Dimitris and the
patch file of Fred?
I think if a package has to be overwritten from Slackware, it is better
to have a SLKBUILD.
I also think that patch file is better in this situation than a sed
script. The patch could be a separated file or inlined in the SLKBUILD.
What do you think about that ?

Le 2013-01-31 20:58, Dimitris Tzemos a écrit :

> I have done this with a SLKBUILD a week ago for slackel and upload it
> on
> slackel repos.
> http://www.slackel.gr/repo/source/openbox/xdg-utils/
>
> It is just a different way.
>

> Στις Πεμ 31 Ιαν 2013 19:41:14 Frédéric Galusik έγραψε:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have uploaded djemos packages zzz-settings-openbox and noticed
>> that
>> he used sed to patch the xdg-open script to add midori to the
>> browsers
>> list.
>> After uploading it, I thought a bit and I think that it is not a
>> good idea.
>>
>> xdg-open has to be patched, yes, because salix use midori for now as
>> default browser, but xdg-open has to be patched from the original
>> package.
>> In this way, all salix users can benefit from this addon, and not
>> only
>> openbox users ;)
>>
>> So, I have patched the Slackware package.
>> You can find it here:
>> http://people.salixos.org/fredg/packages/xdg-utils/1.1.0-rc1/
>>
>> Tell me what do you think about it and test it.
>> I will then add it then to our repo.
>>
>> --fredg

Re: [Salix-main] xdg-open and midori

Dimitris Tzemos
SLKBUILD is simpler to build the package, meaning have all, slack-desc,
etc in one file.
I used sed because xdg-open had to be created first and then be
patched.

I think patch file of fredg is ok.

On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 23:53:03 +0100
Cyrille Pontvieux <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Good idea.
> Is it possible to have both in one? the SLKBUILD of Dimitris and the
> patch file of Fred?
> I think if a package has to be overwritten from Slackware, it is
> better to have a SLKBUILD.
> I also think that patch file is better in this situation than a sed
> script. The patch could be a separated file or inlined in the
> SLKBUILD. What do you think about that ?
>
> Le 2013-01-31 20:58, Dimitris Tzemos a écrit :
> > I have done this with a SLKBUILD a week ago for slackel and upload
> > it on
> > slackel repos.
> > http://www.slackel.gr/repo/source/openbox/xdg-utils/
> >
> > It is just a different way.
> >

> > Στις Πεμ 31 Ιαν 2013 19:41:14 Frédéric Galusik έγραψε:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I have uploaded djemos packages zzz-settings-openbox and noticed
> >> that
> >> he used sed to patch the xdg-open script to add midori to the
> >> browsers
> >> list.
> >> After uploading it, I thought a bit and I think that it is not a
> >> good idea.
> >>
> >> xdg-open has to be patched, yes, because salix use midori for now
> >> as default browser, but xdg-open has to be patched from the
> >> original package.
> >> In this way, all salix users can benefit from this addon, and not
> >> only
> >> openbox users ;)
> >>
> >> So, I have patched the Slackware package.
> >> You can find it here:
> >> http://people.salixos.org/fredg/packages/xdg-utils/1.1.0-rc1/
> >>
> >> Tell me what do you think about it and test it.
> >> I will then add it then to our repo.
> >>
> >> --fredg

Re: [Salix-main] xdg-open and midori

Frédéric Galusik
Go ahead djemos, take my patch and make the package with SLKBUILD.

> I used sed because xdg-open had to be created first and then be
> patched.
No, it didn't. I have patched the xdg-open source.
Take a look in the Slackbuild if you want to see how I have run it.

--fredg