Quantcast

[Salix-main] salix or slackel, that is the question

[Salix-main] salix or slackel, that is the question

Frédéric Galusik
Hi,

I have just read at distrowatch that a new slackel release is out.
http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=07663

Good, congrats to djemos.

But I find that it is not very fair that there isn't any mention to
Salix in the announcement whereas I am pretty sure that gapan , I and
others have checked djemos packages which are used in this slackel
release and maybe there are some salix tools and salix packages too.

I know that it is written in the slackel main website that slackel is
based on slackware and salix, but in a release announcement like this
one, it is not very clear, and many of the distrowatch readers will
not even thought about Salix.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers.

fredg
--
Google+: https://plus.google.com/108565419331171281999
GPG ID: 2E31334B

Re: [Salix-main] salix or slackel, that is the question

Dimitris Tzemos

hi fredg.

It is known that slackel depends on Slackware and Salix. It is written here http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=slackel

and on Slackel web page it is clearly shown on top.

About the release Announcement in distrowatch i just send the link on distrowatch. I did not write the announcemment.

Furthermore it is quite clear in slackel web page ( I add more clear details on slackel openbox page announcement and i do it in bold in the next releases. If this has to be clear to all. Slackel is based on Slackware and Salix. It uses the excelent Salix tools and Salix packages. Many thanks to Salix team for this great work of developing.)

Slackel is based on current branch of slackware. And it is not against Salix. I am sorry if anyone ( i dont mean you) thought so.

Last 2-3 (maybe more) months i packaged so many packages needed for openbox edition. And others too needed for Salix KDE.

First i put them on salix package submission. Also a salix-14.0-openbox-edition iso came out and it is here. Before this a salix-14.0-KDEbeta1 iso is announced also.

I do not take the decisions to release a salix edition because i am not alone, we are a team. Gapan, timcow, zachary, Jrd knew about the link.

It is here http://www.slackel.gr/isos/openbox/salix-openbox-14.0beta1.iso

http://www.slackel.gr/isos/openbox/salix-openbox-14.0beta1.iso.md5

Date is 22-Dec-2012

In Slackel if i release somehting which is not really good or ready it is my fault. I cannot take the responsibillity for salix to release a beta or a rc when other team members will not know and agree with it. They can say, it is not ready yet.

Slackel which is based on current brunch is more like a testing thing, while Salix is stable for using it for everyday work.

If for any reason it is not made clear that Slackel uses Salix tools and packages, I apologise.

I first made a salix-beta1 edition. If it is not announced in public, It is not my fault.

Dimitris

Στις Κυρ 13 Ιαν 2013 21:05:46 Frédéric Galusik έγραψε: