[Salix-main] pukka

Tim Beech
I have written a script with various features to help with packaging,
which has now been uploaded to the repositories - pukka, the Finnish
fisherman's knife for packagers.

This started life in the runup to the 14.0 release, when all it did was
check for unpackaged dependencies of a particular package - that is,
whichever of its dependencies in 13.37 had not been built yet for 14.0,
and, recursively, their dependencies. This is now the -D option. The
script refers to 'stable' and 'current', but the latter isn't
necessarily what is currently the Slackware current repository - it's
just whichever is the most recent version of Salix, even once there has
been a final release.

Other options are to list all packages made by a particular packager
last time that haven't been done yet, and perhaps most usefully, to
download source and package files for a given package. There are options
to do both or either, to do so for a different architecture (default is
that of the running system) and to get the files for 'current' rather
than 'stable', that is, once that package has already been built. This
is intended mainly for use after the release with packages that need
security updates. You can also just get the SLKBUILD, if you already
have the source.

The -p option provides detailed information about the status of a given
package (which might for instance have been a Salix package in the past, but is now
provided by Slackware itself).

More details are in the man page, or try -h for a summary of options.

pukka doesn't currently work with Slackware packages (though it will
tell about them) nor SlackBuilds in the Salix repositories such as those
by Alien Bob. It also can't cope at all with cases where a package has
been renamed, like python-lxml versus lxml.

It uses slapt-get to download package data (though root privileges
aren't required) and this should happen automatically on first run, but
after that it needs to be updated manually. As well as the architecture,
you can change the mirror and which repositories are being compared; for
instance, when the time comes, you can point it at 14.1 as the "stable"
version and 14.x as "current". These changes are saved persistently in a
configuration file, but can of course be reversed.

Many thanks to JRD, laprjns and gapan for their help and advice with the
development of this project, which uses some code by fredg and JRD and
libraries by gapan and fredg. ElderDryas explained to me the virtues of
the "pukka knife", which I wasn't thinking of at all at first with the
name.

mimosa

Re: [Salix-main] pukka

George Vlahavas
On Sat, 4 Jan 2014, tim.beech wrote:

> I have written a script with various features to help with packaging,
> which has now been uploaded to the repositories - pukka, the Finnish
> fisherman's knife for packagers.
>
> This started life in the runup to the 14.0 release, when all it did was
> check for unpackaged dependencies of a particular package - that is,
> whichever of its dependencies in 13.37 had not been built yet for 14.0,
> and, recursively, their dependencies. This is now the -D option. The
> script refers to 'stable' and 'current', but the latter isn't
> necessarily what is currently the Slackware current repository - it's
> just whichever is the most recent version of Salix, even once there has
> been a final release.
>
> Other options are to list all packages made by a particular packager
> last time that haven't been done yet, and perhaps most usefully, to
> download source and package files for a given package. There are options
> to do both or either, to do so for a different architecture (default is
> that of the running system) and to get the files for 'current' rather
> than 'stable', that is, once that package has already been built. This
> is intended mainly for use after the release with packages that need
> security updates. You can also just get the SLKBUILD, if you already
> have the source.
>
> The -p option provides detailed information about the status of a given
> package (which might for instance have been a Salix package in the past, but is now
> provided by Slackware itself).
>
> More details are in the man page, or try -h for a summary of options.
>
> pukka doesn't currently work with Slackware packages (though it will
> tell about them) nor SlackBuilds in the Salix repositories such as those
> by Alien Bob. It also can't cope at all with cases where a package has
> been renamed, like python-lxml versus lxml.
>
> It uses slapt-get to download package data (though root privileges
> aren't required) and this should happen automatically on first run, but
> after that it needs to be updated manually. As well as the architecture,
> you can change the mirror and which repositories are being compared; for
> instance, when the time comes, you can point it at 14.1 as the "stable"
> version and 14.x as "current". These changes are saved persistently in a
> configuration file, but can of course be reversed.
>
> Many thanks to JRD, laprjns and gapan for their help and advice with the
> development of this project, which uses some code by fredg and JRD and
> libraries by gapan and fredg. ElderDryas explained to me the virtues of
> the "pukka knife", which I wasn't thinking of at all at first with the
> name.
>
> mimosa

Thank you very much for this Tim!

Unfortunately a fresh install of the package doesn't work. See below:

------------------------------------------------------>8
george[~]$ pukka -u
Downloading package data for x86_64 14.0
Done
Downloading package data for x86_64 14.1
Done
george[~]$ pukka -p giblib
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/usr/bin/pukka", line 545, in <module>
     main()
   File "/usr/bin/pukka", line 518, in main
     repos = parseRepos()
   File "/usr/bin/pukka", line 448, in parseRepos
     db = openDict(target, release)
   File "/usr/bin/pukka", line 460, in openDict
     slxdict, slkdict = repoToDict(release)
   File "/usr/bin/pukka", line 425, in repoToDict
     db = Package.parse(Package(), pdata)
   File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/ParsePkgtxt/parsepkgtxt.py",
line 56, in parse
     with open(pkgtxtfile) as f:
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory:
'/home/george/.config/pukka/slapt-get-x86_64-14.0/package_data'
george[~]$ ls ~/.config/pukka/slapt-get-x86_64-14.0/
george[~]$
------------------------------------------------------>8

Also in slapt-get-update.sh, you're using:

cd /home/$USER/.config/pukka

but this is not good. You can't guarantee that the homedir of any user
will be /home/$USER. It usually is, but it could be practically
anything. You could use "~" or "$HOME" instead.

Re: [Salix-main] pukka

Tim Beech

> Thank you very much for this Tim!
>
> Unfortunately a fresh install of the package doesn't work. See below:

Thanks for the report. I can't reproduce this here, does anyone else see
it?

By the way, you don't need to run pukka -u on first run, it does it
automatically if there is no package data. But it makes no difference
anyway.

> ------------------------------------------------------>8
> george[~]$ pukka -u
> Downloading package data for x86_64 14.0
> Done
> Downloading package data for x86_64 14.1
> Done
> george[~]$ pukka -p giblib
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/bin/pukka", line 545, in <module>
>     main()
>   File "/usr/bin/pukka", line 518, in main
>     repos = parseRepos()
>   File "/usr/bin/pukka", line 448, in parseRepos
>     db = openDict(target, release)
>   File "/usr/bin/pukka", line 460, in openDict
>     slxdict, slkdict = repoToDict(release)
>   File "/usr/bin/pukka", line 425, in repoToDict
>     db = Package.parse(Package(), pdata)
>   File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/ParsePkgtxt/parsepkgtxt.py",
> line 56, in parse
>     with open(pkgtxtfile) as f:
> IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory:
> '/home/george/.config/pukka/slapt-get-x86_64-14.0/package_data'
> george[~]$ ls ~/.config/pukka/slapt-get-x86_64-14.0/
> george[~]$
> ------------------------------------------------------>8
>
> Also in slapt-get-update.sh, you're using:
>
> cd /home/$USER/.config/pukka
>
> but this is not good. You can't guarantee that the homedir of any user
> will be /home/$USER. It usually is, but it could be practically
> anything. You could use "~" or "$HOME" instead.

Re: [Salix-main] pukka

Tim Beech
This looks like a problem with certificate verification that may not
affect most users, making slapt-get fail when downloading package data.
This is fixed on github, for anyone who has experienced it too. A new
package will be uploaded to the repositories in due course.

You can install the version on github by doing

git clone https://github.com/mimosa67/pukka.git

cd into the pukka directory and do make && make install (as root) afer
uninstalling the existing package.

On Sun, 5 Jan 2014, George Vlahavas wrote:

> [...]
>     db = openDict(target, release)
>   File "/usr/bin/pukka", line 460, in openDict
>     slxdict, slkdict = repoToDict(release)
>   File "/usr/bin/pukka", line 425, in repoToDict
>     db = Package.parse(Package(), pdata)
>   File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/ParsePkgtxt/parsepkgtxt.py",
> line 56, in parse
>     with open(pkgtxtfile) as f:
> IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory:
> '/home/george/.config/pukka/slapt-get-x86_64-14.0/package_data'
> george[~]$ ls ~/.config/pukka/slapt-get-x86_64-14.0/
> george[~]$
> ------------------------------------------------------>8
>
> Also in slapt-get-update.sh, you're using:
>
> cd /home/$USER/.config/pukka
>
> but this is not good. You can't guarantee that the homedir of any user
> will be /home/$USER. It usually is, but it could be practically
> anything. You could use "~" or "$HOME" instead.

Markus Muttilainen
Even i'm finnish i'v never heard about pukka, totally strange word to me.
:D
Br. Markus

Lähetetty AuroraPhonesta

> "tim.beech" <[hidden email]> kirjoitti 4.1.2014 kello 13.35:
>
> I have written a script with various features to help with packaging,
> which has now been uploaded to the repositories - pukka, the Finnish
> fisherman's knife for packagers.
>
> This started life in the runup to the 14.0 release, when all it did was
> check for unpackaged dependencies of a particular package - that is,
> whichever of its dependencies in 13.37 had not been built yet for 14.0,
> and, recursively, their dependencies. This is now the -D option. The
> script refers to 'stable' and 'current', but the latter isn't
> necessarily what is currently the Slackware current repository - it's
> just whichever is the most recent version of Salix, even once there has
> been a final release.
>
> Other options are to list all packages made by a particular packager
> last time that haven't been done yet, and perhaps most usefully, to
> download source and package files for a given package. There are options
> to do both or either, to do so for a different architecture (default is
> that of the running system) and to get the files for 'current' rather
> than 'stable', that is, once that package has already been built. This
> is intended mainly for use after the release with packages that need
> security updates. You can also just get the SLKBUILD, if you already
> have the source.
>
> The -p option provides detailed information about the status of a given
> package (which might for instance have been a Salix package in the past, but is now
> provided by Slackware itself).
>
> More details are in the man page, or try -h for a summary of options.
>
> pukka doesn't currently work with Slackware packages (though it will
> tell about them) nor SlackBuilds in the Salix repositories such as those
> by Alien Bob. It also can't cope at all with cases where a package has
> been renamed, like python-lxml versus lxml.
>
> It uses slapt-get to download package data (though root privileges
> aren't required) and this should happen automatically on first run, but
> after that it needs to be updated manually. As well as the architecture,
> you can change the mirror and which repositories are being compared; for
> instance, when the time comes, you can point it at 14.1 as the "stable"
> version and 14.x as "current". These changes are saved persistently in a
> configuration file, but can of course be reversed.
>
> Many thanks to JRD, laprjns and gapan for their help and advice with the
> development of this project, which uses some code by fredg and JRD and
> libraries by gapan and fredg. ElderDryas explained to me the virtues of
> the "pukka knife", which I wasn't thinking of at all at first with the
> name.
>
> mimosa

Re: [Salix-main] pukka

Tim Beech

On Tue, 7 Jan 2014, Stillborn wrote:

> Even i'm finnish i'v never heard about pukka, totally strange word to me.
> :D
> Br. Markus
>
> Lähetetty AuroraPhonesta

That's the American version of the name (the knife is used by the army
there); really it should be puukko:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puukko

Re: [Salix-main] pukka

Markus Muttilainen