[Salix-main] packages.salixos.org

George Vlahavas
Hi! I have made a new website for searching/browsing packages available in
Salix. It's not 100% yet, I still have some details to fix, but it's
usable.

https://packages.salixos.org

For now it only searches prebuilt packages. I'll add support for also
searching SlackBuilds at some point.

Also, when you switch repositories, usually it happens quickly, but
sometimes it takes a few seconds to load the new data and until then
search/browse won't work. I want to make the loading visible somehow.

You'll need a fairly modern browser for it to work. Midori and other
webkit 2.4 browsers will probably not work.

Re: [Salix-main] packages.salixos.org

Tim Beech
Looks great, and works well! Is this CompSci homework?

On Sun, 25 Jun 2017, George Vlahavas wrote:

> Hi! I have made a new website for searching/browsing packages available in
> Salix. It's not 100% yet, I still have some details to fix, but it's usable.
>
> https://packages.salixos.org
>
> For now it only searches prebuilt packages. I'll add support for also
> searching SlackBuilds at some point.
>
> Also, when you switch repositories, usually it happens quickly, but sometimes
> it takes a few seconds to load the new data and until then search/browse
> won't work. I want to make the loading visible somehow.
>
> You'll need a fairly modern browser for it to work. Midori and other webkit
> 2.4 browsers will probably not work.

Re: [Salix-main] packages.salixos.org

Dimitris Tzemos-3
it works fine. very good and useful site.

Στις 25 Ιουν 2017 3:58 μμ, ο χρήστης "George Vlahavas" <[hidden email]> έγραψε:
Hi! I have made a new website for searching/browsing packages available in Salix. It's not 100% yet, I still have some details to fix, but it's usable.

https://packages.salixos.org

For now it only searches prebuilt packages. I'll add support for also searching SlackBuilds at some point.

Also, when you switch repositories, usually it happens quickly, but sometimes it takes a few seconds to load the new data and until then search/browse won't work. I want to make the loading visible somehow.

You'll need a fairly modern browser for it to work. Midori and other webkit 2.4 browsers will probably not work.

Re: [Salix-main] packages.salixos.org

Tim Beech
Another thought - how about a link for it on the homepage?

On Sun, 25 Jun 2017, Dimitris Tzemos wrote:

> it works fine. very good and useful site.
>
> Στις 25 Ιουν 2017 3:58 μμ, ο χρήστης "George Vlahavas" <[hidden email]> έγραψε:
>       Hi! I have made a new website for searching/browsing packages available in Salix. It's not 100% yet, I still have some details to fix, but it's usable.
>
>       https://packages.salixos.org
>
>       For now it only searches prebuilt packages. I'll add support for also searching SlackBuilds at some point.
>
>       Also, when you switch repositories, usually it happens quickly, but sometimes it takes a few seconds to load the new data and until then search/browse won't work. I want to make the loading visible somehow.
>
>       You'll need a fairly modern browser for it to work. Midori and other webkit 2.4 browsers will probably not work.

Re: [Salix-main] packages.salixos.org

Yes! I needed to do something in HTML5/Javascript, so I came up with this.
:D

On Sun, 25 Jun 2017, tim.beech wrote:

> Looks great, and works well! Is this CompSci homework?
>
> On Sun, 25 Jun 2017, George Vlahavas wrote:
>
>> Hi! I have made a new website for searching/browsing packages available in
>> Salix. It's not 100% yet, I still have some details to fix, but it's
>> usable.
>>
>> https://packages.salixos.org
>>
>> For now it only searches prebuilt packages. I'll add support for also
>> searching SlackBuilds at some point.
>>
>> Also, when you switch repositories, usually it happens quickly, but
>> sometimes it takes a few seconds to load the new data and until then
>> search/browse won't work. I want to make the loading visible somehow.
>>
>> You'll need a fairly modern browser for it to work. Midori and other webkit
>> 2.4 browsers will probably not work.

Re: [Salix-main] packages.salixos.org

Done.

On Sun, 25 Jun 2017, tim.beech wrote:

> Another thought - how about a link for it on the homepage?
>
> On Sun, 25 Jun 2017, Dimitris Tzemos wrote:
>
>> it works fine. very good and useful site.
>>
>> Στις 25 Ιουν 2017 3:58 μμ, ο χρήστης "George Vlahavas" <[hidden email]>
>> έγραψε:
>>       Hi! I have made a new website for searching/browsing packages
>> available in Salix. It's not 100% yet, I still have some details to fix,
>> but it's usable.
>>
>>       https://packages.salixos.org
>>
>>       For now it only searches prebuilt packages. I'll add support for also
>> searching SlackBuilds at some point.
>>
>>       Also, when you switch repositories, usually it happens quickly, but
>> sometimes it takes a few seconds to load the new data and until then
>> search/browse won't work. I want to make the loading visible somehow.
>>
>>       You'll need a fairly modern browser for it to work. Midori and other
>> webkit 2.4 browsers will probably not work.

Re: [Salix-main] packages.salixos.org

Filip Danilovic
On 25/06/17 14:58, George Vlahavas wrote:

> Hi! I have made a new website for searching/browsing packages available
> in Salix. It's not 100% yet, I still have some details to fix, but it's
> usable.
>
> https://packages.salixos.org
>
> For now it only searches prebuilt packages. I'll add support for also
> searching SlackBuilds at some point.
>
> Also, when you switch repositories, usually it happens quickly, but
> sometimes it takes a few seconds to load the new data and until then
> search/browse won't work. I want to make the loading visible somehow.
>
> You'll need a fairly modern browser for it to work. Midori and other
> webkit 2.4 browsers will probably not work.

Gorgeus looking and mighty fast! Great work Gapan! :)

Couple of suggestions btw:

1. On a large/hi-res screen "Back" & "Go to top" buttons are quite
spread out so it takes some "mousing" around to reach.
Perhaps moving them bellow the package details box would be a good idea
( see mockup [1] )?

2. Fonts inside pkg details box could be a bit larger.

3. It would be great to allow passing queries via URL. That way site
could be used as a browser search engine.

And most important of all things, the favicon... :D

@WebKit 1 (xombrero browser):

Just to confirm, it's useless ( rendering is slightly broken, but, most
importantly, search does nothing ).

WK2 & QtWebKit ( new one ) are fine.

[1] http://en.zimagez.com/zimage/sl-pkg-mockup.php

On Sun, 25 Jun 2017, Filip Danilovic wrote:

> Gorgeus looking and mighty fast! Great work Gapan! :)

Thanks!

> Couple of suggestions btw:
>
> 1. On a large/hi-res screen "Back" & "Go to top" buttons are quite spread out
> so it takes some "mousing" around to reach.
> Perhaps moving them bellow the package details box would be a good idea ( see
> mockup [1] )?

Not sure. Where would you put them in the search results screen? I was
thinking of registering keystrokes and making it possible to navigate
with the keyboard though. Although still not decided what the arrows would
do in the search results screen, move between results, or move between
slides?

> 2. Fonts inside pkg details box could be a bit larger.

Oh I didn't think they were small. I know I see a lot better than most
people :D

Anyone else thinks they are small? It's an easy fix to make everything a
bit larger.

> 3. It would be great to allow passing queries via URL. That way site could be
> used as a browser search engine.

Great idea! I'll see what I can do.

> And most important of all things, the favicon... :D

Ah, I totally forgot about that.

> @WebKit 1 (xombrero browser):
>
> Just to confirm, it's useless ( rendering is slightly broken, but, most
> importantly, search does nothing ).
>
> WK2 & QtWebKit ( new one ) are fine.

Yeah, I expected so from webkit1. Thanks for checking!

Not much free time this week, but I'll get around to fixing those the next
one.

On 25/06/17 22:10, George Vlahavas wrote:

> Not sure. Where would you put them in the search results screen? I was
> thinking of registering keystrokes and making it possible to navigate
> with the keyboard though. Although still not decided what the arrows
> would do in the search results screen, move between results, or move
> between slides?

Maybe next to the search results themselves ( mockups bellow )?

Also, making them float would be good.
Static, combined with big enough results list makes them pretty much
useless.

> Oh I didn't think they were small. I know I see a lot better than most
> people :D
>
> Anyone else thinks they are small? It's an easy fix to make everything a
> bit larger.

I also have very good vision, but...
Should have elaborated more previously that, on a 21.5" FullHD monitor
and "normal" (~50cm) viewing distance, fonts on 95% of websites tend to
be small enough to cause squinting.
Nothing major ofc, but I've seen others ( including myself ), getting
closer to the screen every now and then to make sure they read the text
correctly.

For comparison/example, take a look at the interface font size @mockups
( in full size ), it's Noto Sans 10.5pt.
That ( or closer to ) would make reading perfectly comfortable ( for me
ofc, accounting the screen size/resolution combo^^ ).

Anyhow, it's nothing that cannot be fixed with Stylish/NoSquint addon
and such, so don't worry about it if nobody else complains! :)

>> @WebKit 1 (xombrero browser):
>>
>> Just to confirm, it's useless ( rendering is slightly broken, but,
>> most importantly, search does nothing ).
>>
>> WK2 & QtWebKit ( new one ) are fine.
>
> Yeah, I expected so from webkit1. Thanks for checking!
>
> Not much free time this week, but I'll get around to fixing those the
> next one.

No problem! :)

I'll also test it with Otter browser using the old/default QtWebKit (
one bundled with QT5 ) once I get to the other machine that has it.
If I wasn't clear previously, by the "new" QtWebKit I meant the revived
one, which is actually developed and quite advanced compared to the
default ( should be merged back into QT around 5.10 AFAIK ).

See:
http://qtwebkit.blogspot.rs/
https://github.com/annulen/webkit

--------

Mockups:

Results: http://en.zimagez.com/zimage/search-res-mockup.php
Details: http://en.zimagez.com/zimage/pkg-details-mockup.php

On Sun, 25 Jun 2017, Filip Danilović wrote:

>> Oh I didn't think they were small. I know I see a lot better than most
>> people :D
>>
>> Anyone else thinks they are small? It's an easy fix to make everything a
>> bit larger.
>
> I also have very good vision, but...
> Should have elaborated more previously that, on a 21.5" FullHD monitor and
> "normal" (~50cm) viewing distance, fonts on 95% of websites tend to be small
> enough to cause squinting.
> Nothing major ofc, but I've seen others ( including myself ), getting closer
> to the screen every now and then to make sure they read the text correctly.
>
> For comparison/example, take a look at the interface font size @mockups ( in
> full size ), it's Noto Sans 10.5pt.
> That ( or closer to ) would make reading perfectly comfortable ( for me ofc,
> accounting the screen size/resolution combo^^ ).
>
> Anyhow, it's nothing that cannot be fixed with Stylish/NoSquint addon and
> such, so don't worry about it if nobody else complains! :)

I increased the font size a bit. That was the easy one. Better now?

On 25/06/17 23:55, George Vlahavas wrote:

> I increased the font size a bit. That was the easy one. Better now?

Ahhh, it's perfect now, thanks! :)