Quantcast

[Salix-main] newbie - quick question on dual boot

[Salix-main] newbie - quick question on dual boot

James Freer
Hi folks

I'm just about to do an install of Salix 14 and i was just wondering
how dual boot is handled... hopefully no different to Fedora, Ubuntu
or others. In my case the secondary drive has got windows XP on and i
just put Salix on the primary. [As soon as i've got another scanner...
i'll forget about windoze... i promise!].

james

Re: [Salix-main] newbie - quick question on dual boot

Cyrille Pontvieux
Hi !
Salix proposes LILO as bootloader by default. You can also install
grub2 if you prefer.
If you install Lilo, lilosetup will help you configure it to have a
menu to either boot Salix or Windows (or any other distribution like
Fedora or Ubuntu your mentionned). If you decide to install grub2, also
install osprober, and it will detect all OS installed in your box and
will also propose you a boot menu.
Lilo : simpler but no fancy menu and no automatic OS detection (you
should use lilosetup)
Grub2 : a lot more of possibilities, more appealing, can detect all OS
automatically, but could be a bit more difficult to install if your
partitions are not aligned correctly, especially the first one, easy if
it is aligned correctly.

One way or another, it is not difficult to have dual (or multiple)
boot.

---
Cyrille Pontvieux - JRD

Le 2013-01-25 22:00, James Freer a écrit :

> Hi folks
>
> I'm just about to do an install of Salix 14 and i was just wondering
> how dual boot is handled... hopefully no different to Fedora, Ubuntu
> or others. In my case the secondary drive has got windows XP on and i
> just put Salix on the primary. [As soon as i've got another
> scanner...
> i'll forget about windoze... i promise!].
>
> james

Re: [Salix-main] newbie - quick question on dual boot

James Freer
Thanks for the reply. Lilo of couse!

I was forgetting derived from Slackware of course it'll be Lilo! Grub
seems to be going through bad times at present from what i can gather
on some distros. I did try Zenwalk several years ago but didn't look
into the Slack way of doing things much further.

Now that Ubuntu, Fedora and others seem to be having more and more
problems with Gnome - i started using xfce 2 years ago and want to
stay with it. So i'll do the install and see how i get on.

thanks
james

On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 9:24 PM, Cyrille Pontvieux <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi !
> Salix proposes LILO as bootloader by default. You can also install
> grub2 if you prefer.
> If you install Lilo, lilosetup will help you configure it to have a
> menu to either boot Salix or Windows (or any other distribution like
> Fedora or Ubuntu your mentionned). If you decide to install grub2, also
> install osprober, and it will detect all OS installed in your box and
> will also propose you a boot menu.
> Lilo : simpler but no fancy menu and no automatic OS detection (you
> should use lilosetup)
> Grub2 : a lot more of possibilities, more appealing, can detect all OS
> automatically, but could be a bit more difficult to install if your
> partitions are not aligned correctly, especially the first one, easy if
> it is aligned correctly.
>
> One way or another, it is not difficult to have dual (or multiple)
> boot.
>
> ---
> Cyrille Pontvieux - JRD
>
> Le 2013-01-25 22:00, James Freer a écrit :
>> Hi folks
>>
>> I'm just about to do an install of Salix 14 and i was just wondering
>> how dual boot is handled... hopefully no different to Fedora, Ubuntu
>> or others. In my case the secondary drive has got windows XP on and i
>> just put Salix on the primary. [As soon as i've got another
>> scanner...
>> i'll forget about windoze... i promise!].
>>
>> james

Re: [Salix-main] newbie - quick question on dual boot

James Freer
How did the install go! Best linux install i've ever done! I left it
on 'auto' and all works fine.

Only thing i've forgotten in the 'excitement' is the filename to edit
to change the default to 'linux' rather than 'windows' on the reboot.

thanks
james

On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 9:50 AM, James Freer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for the reply. Lilo of couse!
>
> I was forgetting derived from Slackware of course it'll be Lilo! Grub
> seems to be going through bad times at present from what i can gather
> on some distros. I did try Zenwalk several years ago but didn't look
> into the Slack way of doing things much further.
>
> Now that Ubuntu, Fedora and others seem to be having more and more
> problems with Gnome - i started using xfce 2 years ago and want to
> stay with it. So i'll do the install and see how i get on.
>
> thanks
> james
>
> On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 9:24 PM, Cyrille Pontvieux <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi !
>> Salix proposes LILO as bootloader by default. You can also install
>> grub2 if you prefer.
>> If you install Lilo, lilosetup will help you configure it to have a
>> menu to either boot Salix or Windows (or any other distribution like
>> Fedora or Ubuntu your mentionned). If you decide to install grub2, also
>> install osprober, and it will detect all OS installed in your box and
>> will also propose you a boot menu.
>> Lilo : simpler but no fancy menu and no automatic OS detection (you
>> should use lilosetup)
>> Grub2 : a lot more of possibilities, more appealing, can detect all OS
>> automatically, but could be a bit more difficult to install if your
>> partitions are not aligned correctly, especially the first one, easy if
>> it is aligned correctly.
>>
>> One way or another, it is not difficult to have dual (or multiple)
>> boot.
>>
>> ---
>> Cyrille Pontvieux - JRD
>>
>> Le 2013-01-25 22:00, James Freer a écrit :
>>> Hi folks
>>>
>>> I'm just about to do an install of Salix 14 and i was just wondering
>>> how dual boot is handled... hopefully no different to Fedora, Ubuntu
>>> or others. In my case the secondary drive has got windows XP on and i
>>> just put Salix on the primary. [As soon as i've got another
>>> scanner...
>>> i'll forget about windoze... i promise!].
>>>
>>> james

Re: [Salix-main] newbie - quick question on dual boot

Tim Beech
Edi /etc/lilo.conf, and simply swap the sections referring to the OSs in
question. Then do

#lilo -v

(first making sure that the partitions are mounted to the paths specified in
lilo.conf)

to reinstall the bootloader with priorities changed.

It's always wise to back up lilo.conf first so you have something to
revert to if it goes pearshaped.

On Sat, 26 Jan 2013, James Freer wrote:

> How did the install go! Best linux install i've ever done! I left it
> on 'auto' and all works fine.
>
> Only thing i've forgotten in the 'excitement' is the filename to edit
> to change the default to 'linux' rather than 'windows' on the reboot.
>
> thanks
> james
>
> On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 9:50 AM, James Freer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Thanks for the reply. Lilo of couse!
>>
>> I was forgetting derived from Slackware of course it'll be Lilo! Grub
>> seems to be going through bad times at present from what i can gather
>> on some distros. I did try Zenwalk several years ago but didn't look
>> into the Slack way of doing things much further.
>>
>> Now that Ubuntu, Fedora and others seem to be having more and more
>> problems with Gnome - i started using xfce 2 years ago and want to
>> stay with it. So i'll do the install and see how i get on.
>>
>> thanks
>> james
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 9:24 PM, Cyrille Pontvieux <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi !
>>> Salix proposes LILO as bootloader by default. You can also install
>>> grub2 if you prefer.
>>> If you install Lilo, lilosetup will help you configure it to have a
>>> menu to either boot Salix or Windows (or any other distribution like
>>> Fedora or Ubuntu your mentionned). If you decide to install grub2, also
>>> install osprober, and it will detect all OS installed in your box and
>>> will also propose you a boot menu.
>>> Lilo : simpler but no fancy menu and no automatic OS detection (you
>>> should use lilosetup)
>>> Grub2 : a lot more of possibilities, more appealing, can detect all OS
>>> automatically, but could be a bit more difficult to install if your
>>> partitions are not aligned correctly, especially the first one, easy if
>>> it is aligned correctly.
>>>
>>> One way or another, it is not difficult to have dual (or multiple)
>>> boot.
>>>
>>> ---
>>> Cyrille Pontvieux - JRD

Re: [Salix-main] newbie - quick question on dual boot

James Freer
Thanks Tim. i think it's mentioned in the Slackbook which i've just
downloaded and reading through. I have a look again tomorrow.

james

On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 10:32 PM, tim.beech <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Edi /etc/lilo.conf, and simply swap the sections referring to the OSs in
> question. Then do
>
> #lilo -v
>
> (first making sure that the partitions are mounted to the paths specified in
> lilo.conf)
>
> to reinstall the bootloader with priorities changed.
>
> It's always wise to back up lilo.conf first so you have something to
> revert to if it goes pearshaped.
>

> On Sat, 26 Jan 2013, James Freer wrote:
>
>> How did the install go! Best linux install i've ever done! I left it
>> on 'auto' and all works fine.
>>
>> Only thing i've forgotten in the 'excitement' is the filename to edit
>> to change the default to 'linux' rather than 'windows' on the reboot.
>>
>> thanks
>> james
>>
>> On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 9:50 AM, James Freer <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks for the reply. Lilo of couse!
>>>
>>> I was forgetting derived from Slackware of course it'll be Lilo! Grub
>>> seems to be going through bad times at present from what i can gather
>>> on some distros. I did try Zenwalk several years ago but didn't look
>>> into the Slack way of doing things much further.
>>>
>>> Now that Ubuntu, Fedora and others seem to be having more and more
>>> problems with Gnome - i started using xfce 2 years ago and want to
>>> stay with it. So i'll do the install and see how i get on.
>>>
>>> thanks
>>> james

Re: [Salix-main] newbie - quick question on dual boot

jayseye
The other option is to leave the sections where they are, and use an
explicit global command to specify the default. Strangely enough,
IIRC, the syntax is "default=XXX". You can likely confirm the exact
syntax using "man lilo" or "man lilo.conf".

On 1/26/13, James Freer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Tim. i think it's mentioned in the Slackbook which i've just
> downloaded and reading through. I have a look again tomorrow.
>
> james
>
> On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 10:32 PM, tim.beech <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Edi /etc/lilo.conf, and simply swap the sections referring to the OSs in
>> question. Then do
>>
>> #lilo -v
>>
>> (first making sure that the partitions are mounted to the paths specified
>> in
>> lilo.conf)
>>
>> to reinstall the bootloader with priorities changed.
>>
>> It's always wise to back up lilo.conf first so you have something to
>> revert to if it goes pearshaped.
>>

>> On Sat, 26 Jan 2013, James Freer wrote:
>>
>>> How did the install go! Best linux install i've ever done! I left it
>>> on 'auto' and all works fine.
>>>
>>> Only thing i've forgotten in the 'excitement' is the filename to edit
>>> to change the default to 'linux' rather than 'windows' on the reboot.
>>>
>>> thanks
>>> james