[Salix-main] gnsu

George Vlahavas
Well, I solved the issue with ktsuss/gksu: we'll use our own.

See this blogpost for more details:
http://salixos.blogspot.gr/2013/11/the-gksu-problem.html

gnsu+yad should be in most 14.1 mirrors by now, so you can get it with:
slapt-get -u
slapt-get -i gnsu

it includes symlinks for gksu/gksudo.

You'll have to run:

visudo

as root and add a line that would allow you to use sudo:

yourusername ALL=(ALL) ALL

or

%users ALL=(ALL) ALL

The code is on:
https://github.com/gapan/gnsu

Re: [Salix-main] gnsu

Tim Beech

On Wed, 13 Nov 2013, George Vlahavas wrote:

> Well, I solved the issue with ktsuss/gksu: we'll use our own.
>
> See this blogpost for more details:
> http://salixos.blogspot.gr/2013/11/the-gksu-problem.html
Great stuff! I can report that it works here.

Not all mirrors have it yet though (download.salixos.org does) and in
the process of changing mirrors, I discovered that reposetup seems to be
reverting to 14.0. So update and upgrade promises to bring back all
those packages that were removed.

I had no trouble with the instructions to upgrade a fresh Salix 14.0
Ratpoison to current, by the way. But then I had to install XFCE anyway,
of course ;)

Re: [Salix-main] gnsu

George Vlahavas
OK, thanks for the report, I fixed the version number missmatch and
uploaded a new package. It only needed an update in the
/usr/share/salixtools/salix-version
file anyway.

On Wed, 13 Nov 2013, tim.beech wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Nov 2013, George Vlahavas wrote:
>
>> Well, I solved the issue with ktsuss/gksu: we'll use our own.
>>
>> See this blogpost for more details:
>> http://salixos.blogspot.gr/2013/11/the-gksu-problem.html
> Great stuff! I can report that it works here.
>
> Not all mirrors have it yet though (download.salixos.org does) and in
> the process of changing mirrors, I discovered that reposetup seems to be
> reverting to 14.0. So update and upgrade promises to bring back all
> those packages that were removed.
>
> I had no trouble with the instructions to upgrade a fresh Salix 14.0
> Ratpoison to current, by the way. But then I had to install XFCE anyway,
> of course ;)

Re: [Salix-main] gnsu

Dimitris Tzemos

Very good work. It works here, too.

I just wanted to say that yesterday i was talking in jabber with a greek friend. He was using arch linux and shadow-4.1.5 ( i told him to look what version of shadow exists in his system).

I told him to install ktsuss and try to see if it is working.

He reported that ktsuss is working fine with shadow-4.1.5

Arch has compiled shadow with pam support.

But i dont think this is the reason ktsuss is working on arch.

I report this for information.

Στις Τετ 13 Νοε 2013 11:37:35 George Vlahavas έγραψε:

> Well, I solved the issue with ktsuss/gksu: we'll use our own.

> See this blogpost for more details:

> http://salixos.blogspot.gr/2013/11/the-gksu-problem.html

> gnsu+yad should be in most 14.1 mirrors by now, so you can get it with:

> slapt-get -u

> slapt-get -i gnsu

> it includes symlinks for gksu/gksudo.

> You'll have to run:

> visudo

> as root and add a line that would allow you to use sudo:

> yourusername ALL=(ALL) ALL

> or

> %users ALL=(ALL) ALL

> The code is on:

> https://github.com/gapan/gnsu

> -- DreamFactory - Open Source REST & JSON Services for HTML5 & Native Apps

> OAuth, Users, Roles, SQL, NoSQL, BLOB Storage and External API Access Free

> app hosting. Or install the open source package on any LAMP server. Sign up

> and see examples for AngularJS, jQuery, Sencha Touch and Native!

> http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=63469471&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk

Re: [Salix-main] gnsu

Dimitris Tzemos

I added --title $CMD on

GNSU_PASSWORD=$( yad \

--window-icon=$ICON \

--image=$ICON \

--text="$MSG" \

--hide-text \

--title $CMD \

--entry 2> /dev/null)

so user can see on yad title window the program which tries to run with root privilages.

If it is useful then can be included.

It is on https://github.com/djemos/gnsu

as apull request.

Στις Τετ 13 Νοε 2013 16:20:49 Dimitris Tzemos έγραψε:

Very good work. It works here, too.

I just wanted to say that yesterday i was talking in jabber with a greek friend. He was using arch linux and shadow-4.1.5 ( i told him to look what version of shadow exists in his system).

I told him to install ktsuss and try to see if it is working.

He reported that ktsuss is working fine with shadow-4.1.5

Arch has compiled shadow with pam support.

But i dont think this is the reason ktsuss is working on arch.

I report this for information.

Στις Τετ 13 Νοε 2013 11:37:35 George Vlahavas έγραψε:

> Well, I solved the issue with ktsuss/gksu: we'll use our own.

> See this blogpost for more details:

> http://salixos.blogspot.gr/2013/11/the-gksu-problem.html

> gnsu+yad should be in most 14.1 mirrors by now, so you can get it with:

> slapt-get -u

> slapt-get -i gnsu

> it includes symlinks for gksu/gksudo.

> You'll have to run:

> visudo

> as root and add a line that would allow you to use sudo:

> yourusername ALL=(ALL) ALL

> or

> %users ALL=(ALL) ALL

> The code is on:

> https://github.com/gapan/gnsu

> -- DreamFactory - Open Source REST & JSON Services for HTML5 & Native Apps

> OAuth, Users, Roles, SQL, NoSQL, BLOB Storage and External API Access Free

> app hosting. Or install the open source package on any LAMP server. Sign up

> and see examples for AngularJS, jQuery, Sencha Touch and Native!

> http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=63469471&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk

Re: [Salix-main] gnsu

Dimitris Tzemos

Forget about it. I show that on github, gapan has set --title to "gnsu" so yad is not shown anymore.

Στις Τετ 13 Νοε 2013 16:56:22 Dimitris Tzemos έγραψε:

I added --title $CMD on

GNSU_PASSWORD=$( yad \

--window-icon=$ICON \

--image=$ICON \

--text="$MSG" \

--hide-text \

--title $CMD \

--entry 2> /dev/null)

so user can see on yad title window the program which tries to run with root privilages.

If it is useful then can be included.

It is on https://github.com/djemos/gnsu

as apull request.

Στις Τετ 13 Νοε 2013 16:20:49 Dimitris Tzemos έγραψε:

Very good work. It works here, too.

I just wanted to say that yesterday i was talking in jabber with a greek friend. He was using arch linux and shadow-4.1.5 ( i told him to look what version of shadow exists in his system).

I told him to install ktsuss and try to see if it is working.

He reported that ktsuss is working fine with shadow-4.1.5

Arch has compiled shadow with pam support.

But i dont think this is the reason ktsuss is working on arch.

I report this for information.

Στις Τετ 13 Νοε 2013 11:37:35 George Vlahavas έγραψε:

> Well, I solved the issue with ktsuss/gksu: we'll use our own.

> See this blogpost for more details:

> http://salixos.blogspot.gr/2013/11/the-gksu-problem.html

> gnsu+yad should be in most 14.1 mirrors by now, so you can get it with:

> slapt-get -u

> slapt-get -i gnsu

> it includes symlinks for gksu/gksudo.

> You'll have to run:

> visudo

> as root and add a line that would allow you to use sudo:

> yourusername ALL=(ALL) ALL

> or

> %users ALL=(ALL) ALL

> The code is on:

> https://github.com/gapan/gnsu

> -- DreamFactory - Open Source REST & JSON Services for HTML5 & Native Apps

> OAuth, Users, Roles, SQL, NoSQL, BLOB Storage and External API Access Free

> app hosting. Or install the open source package on any LAMP server. Sign up

> and see examples for AngularJS, jQuery, Sencha Touch and Native!

> http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=63469471&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk

Re: [Salix-main] gnsu

Pam could very well be the reason why it works in arch. Or maybe they are
applying a patch that slackware doesn't have. It's hard to tell without
actually trying one or the other.

In any case I really think this is better. It definitely is a lot more
simple than ktsuss or anything else.

On Wed, 13 Nov 2013, Dimitris Tzemos wrote:

> Very good work. It works here, too.
>
> I just wanted to say that yesterday i was talking in jabber with a greek
> friend. He was using arch linux and shadow-4.1.5 ( i told him to look what
> version of shadow exists in his system).
>
> I told him to install ktsuss and try to see if it is working.
> He reported that ktsuss is working fine with shadow-4.1.5
> Arch has compiled shadow with pam support.
> But i dont think this is the reason ktsuss is working on arch.
> I report this for information.
>

> Στις Τετ 13 Νοε 2013 11:37:35 George Vlahavas έγραψε:
>> Well, I solved the issue with ktsuss/gksu: we'll use our own.
>>
>> See this blogpost for more details:
>> http://salixos.blogspot.gr/2013/11/the-gksu-problem.html
>>
>> gnsu+yad should be in most 14.1 mirrors by now, so you can get it with:
>> slapt-get -u
>> slapt-get -i gnsu
>>
>> it includes symlinks for gksu/gksudo.
>>
>> You'll have to run:
>>
>> visudo
>>
>> as root and add a line that would allow you to use sudo:
>>
>> yourusername ALL=(ALL) ALL
>>
>> or
>>
>> %users ALL=(ALL) ALL
>>
>> The code is on:
>> https://github.com/gapan/gnsu

>> -- DreamFactory - Open Source REST & JSON Services for HTML5 & Native
> Apps
>> OAuth, Users, Roles, SQL, NoSQL, BLOB Storage and External API Access
> Free
>> app hosting. Or install the open source package on any LAMP server.
> Sign up
>> and see examples for AngularJS, jQuery, Sencha Touch and Native!
>>
> http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=63469471&iu=/4140/ostg.
> clktrk

Re: [Salix-main] gnsu

I had already changed that to $CMD too :D
It makes better sense to have the actual app name displayed.

Thanks!

On Wed, 13 Nov 2013, Dimitris Tzemos wrote:

> Forget about it. I show that on github, gapan has set --title to "gnsu" so
> yad is not shown anymore.
>

> Στις Τετ 13 Νοε 2013 16:56:22 Dimitris Tzemos έγραψε:
>

> I added --title $CMD on
>
> GNSU_PASSWORD=$( yad \
> --window-icon=$ICON \
> --image=$ICON \
> --text="$MSG" \
> --hide-text \
> --title $CMD \
> --entry 2> /dev/null)
>
> so user can see on yad title window the program which tries to run with
> root privilages.
> If it is useful then can be included.
> It is on https://github.com/djemos/gnsu
> as apull request.
>

> Στις Τετ 13 Νοε 2013 16:20:49 Dimitris Tzemos έγραψε:
>

> Very good work. It works here, too.
>
> I just wanted to say that yesterday i was talking in jabber with a greek
> friend. He was using arch linux and shadow-4.1.5 ( i told him to look what
> version of shadow exists in his system).
>
> I told him to install ktsuss and try to see if it is working.
> He reported that ktsuss is working fine with shadow-4.1.5
> Arch has compiled shadow with pam support.
> But i dont think this is the reason ktsuss is working on arch.
> I report this for information.
>

> Στις Τετ 13 Νοε 2013 11:37:35 George Vlahavas έγραψε:
>> Well, I solved the issue with ktsuss/gksu: we'll use our own.
>>
>> See this blogpost for more details:
>> http://salixos.blogspot.gr/2013/11/the-gksu-problem.html
>>
>> gnsu+yad should be in most 14.1 mirrors by now, so you can get it with:
>> slapt-get -u
>> slapt-get -i gnsu
>>
>> it includes symlinks for gksu/gksudo.
>>
>> You'll have to run:
>>
>> visudo
>>
>> as root and add a line that would allow you to use sudo:
>>
>> yourusername ALL=(ALL) ALL
>>
>> or
>>
>> %users ALL=(ALL) ALL
>>
>> The code is on:
>> https://github.com/gapan/gnsu

>> -- DreamFactory - Open Source REST & JSON Services for HTML5 & Native
> Apps
>> OAuth, Users, Roles, SQL, NoSQL, BLOB Storage and External API Access
> Free
>> app hosting. Or install the open source package on any LAMP server.
> Sign up
>> and see examples for AngularJS, jQuery, Sencha Touch and Native!
>>
> http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=63469471&iu=/4140/ostg.
> clktrk

Re: [Salix-main] gnsu

Dimitris Tzemos

No they did not applied any patces. Also i have recompiled shadow without pam support but including their patches but it did not work with ktsuss.

SO maybe it will be pam.

I agree about gnsu. It is good to have our own utility and it is a lot simpler and faster than ktsuss.

One question. In a 14.1 salix installation user has to add in sudoers ( i suggest %users ALL=(ALL) ALL) so it will work for any user name it will be created at installation time.

But this has to be done from user? Many newbies cannot do this.

How we can hadle this?

a suggestion is to have in zzz-settings in do_inst() the following

sed -i "/^root ALL=(ALL) ALL/a%users ALL=(ALL) ALL\n" /etc/sudoers

So user cannot have to use visudo.

Στις Πεμ 14 Νοε 2013 01:31:28 George Vlahavas έγραψε:

> Pam could very well be the reason why it works in arch. Or maybe they are

> applying a patch that slackware doesn't have. It's hard to tell without

> actually trying one or the other.

> In any case I really think this is better. It definitely is a lot more

> simple than ktsuss or anything else.

> On Wed, 13 Nov 2013, Dimitris Tzemos wrote:

> > Very good work. It works here, too.

> > I just wanted to say that yesterday i was talking in jabber with a greek

> > friend. He was using arch linux and shadow-4.1.5 ( i told him to look what

> > version of shadow exists in his system).

> > I told him to install ktsuss and try to see if it is working.

> > He reported that ktsuss is working fine with shadow-4.1.5

> > Arch has compiled shadow with pam support.

> > But i dont think this is the reason ktsuss is working on arch.

> > I report this for information.

> > Στις Τετ 13 Νοε 2013 11:37:35 George Vlahavas έγραψε:

> >> Well, I solved the issue with ktsuss/gksu: we'll use our own.

> >> See this blogpost for more details:

> >> http://salixos.blogspot.gr/2013/11/the-gksu-problem.html

> >> gnsu+yad should be in most 14.1 mirrors by now, so you can get it with:

> >> slapt-get -u

> >> slapt-get -i gnsu

> >> it includes symlinks for gksu/gksudo.

> >> You'll have to run:

> >> visudo

> >> as root and add a line that would allow you to use sudo:

> >> yourusername ALL=(ALL) ALL

> >> or

> >> %users ALL=(ALL) ALL

> >> The code is on:

> >> https://github.com/gapan/gnsu

> >> --- -- DreamFactory - Open Source REST & JSON Services for HTML5 & Native>

> > Apps

> >> OAuth, Users, Roles, SQL, NoSQL, BLOB Storage and External API Access

> > Free

> >> app hosting. Or install the open source package on any LAMP server.

> > Sign up

> >> and see examples for AngularJS, jQuery, Sencha Touch and Native!

> > http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=63469471&iu=/4140/ostg.

> > clktrk

Re: [Salix-main] gnsu

George Vlahavas
No, don't worry about that. We'll add the users group in the sudoers file
by default after an installation. It would only take an:

echo "%users ALL=(ALL) ALL" >> /etc/sudoers

in the zzz-settings package doinst.

On Thu, 14 Nov 2013, Dimitris Tzemos wrote:

> No they did not applied any patces. Also i have recompiled shadow without
> pam support but including their patches but it did not work with ktsuss.
> SO maybe it will be pam.
>

> I agree about gnsu. It is good to have our own utility and it is a lot simpler
> and faster than ktsuss.
>
> One question. In a 14.1 salix installation user has to add in sudoers ( i
> suggest %users ALL=(ALL) ALL) so it will work for any user name it will be
> created at installation time.
>
> But this has to be done from user? Many newbies cannot do this.
> How we can hadle this?
> a suggestion is to have in zzz-settings in do_inst() the following
> sed -i "/^root ALL=(ALL) ALL/a%users ALL=(ALL) ALL\n"  /etc/sudoers
>
> So user cannot have to use visudo.
>

> Στις Πεμ 14 Νοε 2013 01:31:28 George Vlahavas έγραψε:
>> Pam could very well be the reason why it works in arch. Or maybe they
> are
>> applying a patch that slackware doesn't have. It's hard to tell without
>> actually trying one or the other.
>>
>> In any case I really think this is better. It definitely is a lot more
>> simple than ktsuss or anything else.
>>
>> On Wed, 13 Nov 2013, Dimitris Tzemos wrote:
>>> Very good work. It works here, too.
>>>
>>> I just wanted to say that yesterday i was talking in jabber with a greek
>>> friend. He was using arch linux and shadow-4.1.5 ( i told him to look
> what
>>> version of shadow exists in his system).
>>>
>>> I told him to install ktsuss and try to see if it is working.
>>> He reported that ktsuss is working fine with shadow-4.1.5
>>> Arch has compiled shadow with pam support.
>>> But i dont think this is the reason ktsuss is working on arch.
>>> I report this for information.
>>>
>>> Στις Τετ 13 Νοε 2013 11:37:35 George Vlahavas έγραψε:

> with:

> Native>
>>> Apps

> Access
>>>
>>> Free

>>> Sign up

> http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=63469471&iu=/4140/ostg.
>>> clktrk

Re: [Salix-main] gnsu

Dimitris Tzemos-2

Ok. To add it after root line or in the end of sudoers file, no matter :-)

Στις Πεμ 14 Νοε 2013 16:19:58 George Vlahavas έγραψε: