[Salix-main] fast! - repos

James Freer
having only just this week installed saline i've been looking at docs
and trying to learn more. Just got a couple of quick questions.

Why is Salix (and other slackware based derivatives) so fast in
comparison with other distros like ubuntu and Fedora! Slackware
follows this KISS model and from what i can determine it does seem
faster.

Be grateful if someone could clarify on the repos. My ver 14 xfce has three
a] http://salix.enialis.net/i486/14.0
b] http://salix.enialis.net/i486/slackware-14.0/
c] http://salix.enialis.net/i486/slackware-14.0/extra

I read that salix was compatible with slackware repos so is a] the
salix repo, b] and c] the slackware repos copied over from slackware?

One app i'm looking for is efax which if not in salix repo would
ceertainly be in slackware. [I still find faxing very useful despite
some folk claiming it's old technology]. Maybe my first build coming
up!

thanks
james

Re: [Salix-main] fast! - repos

Richard Lapointe
On 01/28/2013 05:07 PM, James Freer wrote:

> having only just this week installed saline i've been looking at docs
> and trying to learn more. Just got a couple of quick questions.
>
> Why is Salix (and other slackware based derivatives) so fast in
> comparison with other distros like ubuntu and Fedora! Slackware
> follows this KISS model and from what i can determine it does seem
> faster.
>
> Be grateful if someone could clarify on the repos. My ver 14 xfce has three
> a] http://salix.enialis.net/i486/14.0
> b] http://salix.enialis.net/i486/slackware-14.0/
> c] http://salix.enialis.net/i486/slackware-14.0/extra
A] is a binary repo for Salix packages that are not available in the
Slackware repo.  In a small number of cases there a packages that are
slightly different than those found in the Slackware repo.  See here
http://www.salixos.org/wiki/index.php/Packages,_that_are_different_from_Slackware

repos b] & c] are Slackware binary repositories that only holds
dependency info. The actual packages are downloaded from a real
Slackware mirror.  See
http://www.salixos.org/wiki/index.php/How_to_create_a_local_slackware_repository_with_dependency_support.
These are all the main Slackware packages that salix is based off.

You will need all three active to maintain your system and install
binary packages

> I read that salix was compatible with slackware repos so is a] the
> salix repo, b] and c] the slackware repos copied over from slackware?
See 2nd link above.

> One app i'm looking for is efax which if not in salix repo would
> ceertainly be in slackware. [I still find faxing very useful despite
> some folk claiming it's old technology]. Maybe my first build coming
> up!
eFax is available via slapt-src.  In a terminal as root do:

     slapt-src --update
     slapt-src --install efax-gtk

slapt-src builds and installs packages using buildscripts from
Slackbuild.  See:

http://people.salixos.org/tsuren/doc/startupguide/en-US/html/chap-Startup_Guide-Your_Salix.html#sect-Startup_Guide-Package_Management-slapt_src

If you can't find pre-compiled packages using slapt-get, then your next
resource should be slapt-src

Regards

Rich Lapointe (laprjns)

Re: [Salix-main] fast! - repos

jayseye
The Sourcery GUI app can be a useful front-end for slapt-src (System >
Sourcery Slackbuild Manager).

Compared to GSlapt, which is the GUI binary package manager, Sourcery
is faster, more efficient, and lightweight. Also it's written by one
of the main Salix developers.

Re: [Salix-main] fast! - repos

James Freer
>> Be grateful if someone could clarify on the repos. My ver 14 xfce has three
>> a] http://salix.enialis.net/i486/14.0
>> b] http://salix.enialis.net/i486/slackware-14.0/
>> c] http://salix.enialis.net/i486/slackware-14.0/extra
> A] is a binary repo for Salix packages that are not available in the
> Slackware repo.  In a small number of cases there a packages that are
> slightly different than those found in the Slackware repo.  See here
> http://www.salixos.org/wiki/index.php/Packages,_that_are_different_from_Slackware
>
> repos b] & c] are Slackware binary repositories that only holds
> dependency info. The actual packages are downloaded from a real
> Slackware mirror.  See
> http://www.salixos.org/wiki/index.php/How_to_create_a_local_slackware_repository_with_dependency_support.
> These are all the main Slackware packages that salix is based off.
>
> You will need all three active to maintain your system and install
> binary packages
>>
>> I read that salix was compatible with slackware repos so is a] the
>> salix repo, b] and c] the slackware repos copied over from slackware?
> See 2nd link above.
>>
>> One app i'm looking for is efax which if not in salix repo would
>> ceertainly be in slackware. [I still find faxing very useful despite
>> some folk claiming it's old technology]. Maybe my first build coming
>> up!
> eFax is available via slapt-src.  In a terminal as root do:
>
>      slapt-src --update
>      slapt-src --install efax-gtk
>
> slapt-src builds and installs packages using buildscripts from
> Slackbuild.  See:
>
> http://people.salixos.org/tsuren/doc/startupguide/en-US/html/chap-Startup_Guide-Your_Salix.html#sect-Startup_Guide-Package_Management-slapt_src
>
> If you can't find pre-compiled packages using slapt-get, then your next
> resource should be slapt-src
>
> Regards
>
> Rich Lapointe (laprjns)

Thanks for clearing up my query about the repos b] and c]. (I haven't
been able to get back to you for a few days... sorry).

I'm going to have to do some package installation and i'm sure all
will become clear.

As for efax. It doesn't seem to be in the repo - efax-gtk is only a
frontend for the efax app. It replaces the 'fax' script that's in the
efax app. I had a number of issues with efax-gtk and i'll post it on
the forum in case anyone is interested. It is much easier i think to
forget about efax-gtk and run efax from the command line (with
included options) as an alias rather than bothering with efax-gtk. I
look after my mother with Alzheimer's and find faxing useful to
contact the doctor, social worker etc. Fax isn't outdated (compared
with email) it is useful when one needs to contact someone, when,
should they be out of the office a colleague can take the necessary
action on their behalf.... like the social worker or doctor i find. A
lot of businesses have a fax number when they don't necessarily have
an email publicised i find.

thanks
james