[Salix-main] Working on 14.1

George Vlahavas
I have started working on 14.1.

I have already created the dependencies for all slackware packages and
have created slackware-14.1 repositories on our mirrors. For those that
have not noticed so far, these slackware repositories (as well as the 14.0
repositories) are no longer "ghost" repos pointing only to a single
slackware repository for packages. They are instead full slackware
repositories and all packages are downloaded from the same server. This
way, and with all the new mirrors we have, all packages, salix+slackware
are going to be downloaded from the same server.

Of course there might still be some small problems with the dependency
information. I'm counting on reports to fix any of those.

And I have also set up the salix 14.1 repositories and have already
uploaded over 100 packages to them. The repositories are certainly not
full yet, but these will make the transition somewhat easier for brave
souls that want to upgrade now.

I have added a wiki page with preliminary instructions:
http://docs.salixos.org/wiki/How_to_upgrade_Salix_14.0_to_14.1

Problems encountered so far:
* ktsuss doesn't work in 14.1. Something changed in the shadow package
which makes ktsuss not execute the command it is given. It needs further
investigation, or we should look for alternatives. Any help is
appreciated.
* Forget anything that depends on the obsolete libgnome/libbonobo
packages. The old packages don't work and they can't be rebuilt either.
Fortunately not much software needed those, the most notable one is gpass.
* If you want libreoffice, get the packages from 14.0, until we package a
newer version for 14.1.

I will try to create an alpha release sometime in the next days, so you
can just on the 14.1 development train easier. There are a lot of things
to package and a lot of things to test. The good news from what I saw so
far, is that for most packages that do not need an upgrade (no new version
has been released), the 14.0 packages can be transferred with no problems.

Oh, if you upgrade now, beware of the lilo splash image. Lilo will fail
if you don't change it to something that after the upgrade will be in your
system. /boot/slack.bmp is there. That's until we have our own lilo
package again (with our own artwork).

Re: [Salix-main] Working on 14.1

Deak, Ferenc
Hi!,

I've upgraded according the wiki page.
Everything seems to be working fine, as I'm working today.

Additionaly I've built the following packages with SLKBUILDs from 14.0:
- zim with the latest release version (0.60), and seems to be it working
- gigolo same version (because there is no newer) and it seems OK too.
- libetpan same version  (because there is no newer) and it seems OK too.
- claws-mail with the latest release 3.9.2
  note there is no claws-mail-extra-plugins, plugins are in the base package since 3.9.1

I've installed libreoffice from alienbob's 14.0 repo, and it seems working too.

fdeak

On Sat, Nov 9, 2013 at 9:50 PM, George Vlahavas <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I've also built with SLKBUILDS from 14.0 and using xfce4-cpugraph-plugin, xfce4-netload-plugin
these are already the latest available versions, so no need to chage anything.

Also built the latest libreoffice, and basic tasks are OK. The changes are
pkgver=4.0.6
_majorver=4.0
_minorver=4.0.6.2

this is a conservative choice for the 4.0.x series, 4.1.3 is also available.

fdeak

PS
everything is under i486 platform

Re: [Salix-main] Working on 14.1

Dimitris Tzemos-3

remove ktsuss

install these packages

http://people.salixos.org/djemos/salix/libgee/

http://people.salixos.org/djemos/salix/gksu-polkit/

and run e.g.

gksu sourcery

gksu gslapt

Dimitris

Στις Κυρ 10 Νοε 2013 14:02:24 Deak, Ferenc έγραψε:

Hi,

I've also built with SLKBUILDS from 14.0 and using xfce4-cpugraph-plugin, xfce4-netload-plugin

these are already the latest available versions, so no need to chage anything.

Also built the latest libreoffice, and basic tasks are OK. The changes are

pkgver=4.0.6

_majorver=4.0

_minorver=4.0.6.2

this is a conservative choice for the 4.0.x series, 4.1.3 is also available.

fdeak

PS

everything is under i486 platform

Re: [Salix-main] Working on 14.1

Richard Lapointe
As we discussed, I built Libreoffice 4.1.3 and its language and help
packs.  Also built all xfce plugins that where in the 14.0 repo,
upgrading to latest version where applicable.

http://people.salixos.org/laprjns/14.1/

Rich Lapointe (laprjns)

On 11/09/2013 03:50 PM, George Vlahavas wrote:

> I have started working on 14.1.
>
> I have already created the dependencies for all slackware packages and
> have created slackware-14.1 repositories on our mirrors. For those that
> have not noticed so far, these slackware repositories (as well as the 14.0
> repositories) are no longer "ghost" repos pointing only to a single
> slackware repository for packages. They are instead full slackware
> repositories and all packages are downloaded from the same server. This
> way, and with all the new mirrors we have, all packages, salix+slackware
> are going to be downloaded from the same server.
>
> Of course there might still be some small problems with the dependency
> information. I'm counting on reports to fix any of those.
>
> And I have also set up the salix 14.1 repositories and have already
> uploaded over 100 packages to them. The repositories are certainly not
> full yet, but these will make the transition somewhat easier for brave
> souls that want to upgrade now.
>
> I have added a wiki page with preliminary instructions:
> http://docs.salixos.org/wiki/How_to_upgrade_Salix_14.0_to_14.1
>
> Problems encountered so far:
> * ktsuss doesn't work in 14.1. Something changed in the shadow package
> which makes ktsuss not execute the command it is given. It needs further
> investigation, or we should look for alternatives. Any help is
> appreciated.
> * Forget anything that depends on the obsolete libgnome/libbonobo
> packages. The old packages don't work and they can't be rebuilt either.
> Fortunately not much software needed those, the most notable one is gpass.
> * If you want libreoffice, get the packages from 14.0, until we package a
> newer version for 14.1.
>
> I will try to create an alpha release sometime in the next days, so you
> can just on the 14.1 development train easier. There are a lot of things
> to package and a lot of things to test. The good news from what I saw so
> far, is that for most packages that do not need an upgrade (no new version
> has been released), the 14.0 packages can be transferred with no problems.
>
> Oh, if you upgrade now, beware of the lilo splash image. Lilo will fail
> if you don't change it to something that after the upgrade will be in your
> system. /boot/slack.bmp is there. That's until we have our own lilo
> package again (with our own artwork).

Re: [Salix-main] Working on 14.1

Tim Beech
I'm doing the upgrade now (starting from a clean install of
Ratpoison64).

I was surprised to see qt and gimp will be installed:

   hunspell glu harfbuzz openal-soft opus gcc-java libXevie at-spi2-core
     at-spi2-atk gtk+3 gc libunistring libmnl libnfnetlink
  libnetfilter_conntrack
   lm_sensors libtasn1 libaio mariadb babl gegl libwmf gimp libiodbc
   qt

Re: [Salix-main] Working on 14.1

On Mon, 11 Nov 2013, Dimitris Tzemos wrote:

> remove ktsuss
>
> install these packages
> http://people.salixos.org/djemos/salix/libgee/
> http://people.salixos.org/djemos/salix/gksu-polkit/
>
> and run e.g.
> gksu sourcery
> gksu gslapt

These don't work for me on a 64bit system. Nothing happens when I run
gksu. I don't even get a password prompt. I tried it after a reboot too.

Re: [Salix-main] Working on 14.1

On Sun, 10 Nov 2013, Deak, Ferenc wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've also built with SLKBUILDS from 14.0 and using xfce4-cpugraph-plugin
> , xfce4-netload-plugin
> these are already the latest available versions, so no need to chageanything.
>
> Also built the latest libreoffice, and basic tasks are OK. The changes are
> pkgver=4.0.6
> _majorver=4.0
> _minorver=4.0.6.2
>
> this is a conservative choice for the 4.0.x series, 4.1.3 is also available.
>
> fdeak
>

> PS
> everything is under i486 platform
>
> fdeak

Thanks for the information Ferenc.

What would also be very helpful is for packages that no newer version has
been released since 14.0, to try the package from 14.0 and see if it works
(without building a new one of the same version). Transferring a package
from 14.0 to the 14.1 repositories is always a lot easier than building
one and uploading.

Re: [Salix-main] Working on 14.1

On Mon, 11 Nov 2013, Richard Lapointe wrote:

> As we discussed, I built Libreoffice 4.1.3 and its language and help
> packs.  Also built all xfce plugins that where in the 14.0 repo,
> upgrading to latest version where applicable.
>
> http://people.salixos.org/laprjns/14.1/
>
> Rich Lapointe (laprjns)

Hi Rich,

something is wrong with the libreoffice files. There is only an i486
package and that is only 31MB, while it probably should be something
around 100MB.

Re: [Salix-main] Working on 14.1

Dimitris Tzemos-3

Maybe some packages missing. Look on deps.

polkit-gnome is installed ?

polkit ?

It is running fine in x86_64, i486 systems here.

I will look to see what is missing which is not on deps.

Στις Δευ 11 Νοε 2013 17:16:41 George Vlahavas έγραψε:

> On Mon, 11 Nov 2013, Dimitris Tzemos wrote:

> > remove ktsuss

> > install these packages

> > http://people.salixos.org/djemos/salix/libgee/

> > http://people.salixos.org/djemos/salix/gksu-polkit/

> > and run e.g.

> > gksu sourcery

> > gksu gslapt

> These don't work for me on a 64bit system. Nothing happens when I run

> gksu. I don't even get a password prompt. I tried it after a reboot too.

> -- November Webinars for C, C++, Fortran Developers

> Accelerate application performance with scalable programming models. Explore

> techniques for threading, error checking, porting, and tuning. Get the most

> from the latest Intel processors and coprocessors. See abstracts and

> register

> http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=60136231&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk

Re: [Salix-main] Working on 14.1

On Mon, 11 Nov 2013, tim.beech wrote:

> I'm doing the upgrade now (starting from a clean install of
> Ratpoison64).
>
> I was surprised to see qt and gimp will be installed:

>   hunspell glu harfbuzz openal-soft opus gcc-java libXevie at-spi2-core
>     at-spi2-atk gtk+3 gc libunistring libmnl libnfnetlink
> libnetfilter_conntrack
>  lm_sensors libtasn1 libaio mariadb babl gegl libwmf gimp libiodbc
>  qt

gimp was included in the sane.dep file and that's probably why it got
included. I have removed the dependency.

qt is probably correct, as the slackware wpa_supplicant package does
depend on qt (it includes a qt gui). Once we have our own wpa_supplicant
package that has no gui, that won't be a problem.

Re: [Salix-main] Working on 14.1

On Mon, 11 Nov 2013, Dimitris Tzemos wrote:

> Maybe some packages missing. Look on deps.
> polkit-gnome is installed ?
> polkit ?
>
> It is running fine in x86_64, i486 systems here.
> I will look to see what is missing which is not on deps.

Yes, polkit-gnome was needed. Now it runs.

But... it works with the user password, not the root password (which is
not much of a problem). The big problem is that it is extremely buggy and
the CPU hits 100% after running... So, we can't use it.

Re: [Salix-main] Working on 14.1

Dimitris Tzemos-3

I have build both packages for x86_64 and i686

One SLACKBUILD is needed for building x86_64 and i686packages running a x86_64 or i486 system.

And also i have build lang and help packages but since the already uploaded are working i did not upload them.

libreoffice packages are here. http://people.salixos.org/djemos/salix/libreoffice/

Στις Δευ 11 Νοε 2013 17:26:57 George Vlahavas έγραψε:

On 11/11/2013 10:26 AM, George Vlahavas wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Nov 2013, Richard Lapointe wrote:
>
>> As we discussed, I built Libreoffice 4.1.3 and its language and help
>> packs.  Also built all xfce plugins that where in the 14.0 repo,
>> upgrading to latest version where applicable.
>>
>> http://people.salixos.org/laprjns/14.1/
>>
>> Rich Lapointe (laprjns)
> Hi Rich,
>
> something is wrong with the libreoffice files. There is only an i486
> package and that is only 31MB, while it probably should be something
> around 100MB.

Yes, both are over 100MB.  It was a bad upload.  I' try it again.

Sorry about that.

Rich

Re: [Salix-main] Working on 14.1

George Vlahavas
I have now uploaded the libreoffice packages to the repos. I took djemos's
packages for libreoffice and laprjns's packages for the libreoffice
locales.

Rich, I couldn't use your libreoffice help packages, because there are
only 64bit packages in your repo. Also I couldn't use your xfce plugins
packages, because I need to sort them out. It seems there are a couple of
packages in there that I have already uploaded to the repos and there are
others with identical names as the packages in 14.0 and I'm not sure if
they had been rebuilt or if they are just transfers from 14.0. If you can
make a list of what is what it would be very helpful.

Unfortunately, as some of you already know, I will be away for around
10 days (still don't know how many exactly), starting tonight,  and I
probably won't have any internet access in the meantime (and of course
I won't be able to work on anything related to Salix for this time).

If someone has the time, it would be helpful if you got more packages
built during this time. You should give precence to the packages you use
yourselves and the packages that are on the standard iso (xfce and kde).
Please coordinate with each other by announcing your intentions in the
mailing list, so that two people won't end up doing the same packages.

As a reminder:
* If a new version of a package that we had in 14.0 has been released,
package that. Create a ticket in the package submission tracker in
sourceforge.
* If no new version of a package that we had in 14.0 has been released,
first check if the package in 14.0 works OK in 14.1.
   1. If it works OK, then calculate dependencies in 14.1 system (they
might be different than 14.0) and put a transfer request in the package
submission tracker in sourceforge.
   2. If the old package doesn't work OK, rebuild it. Don't forget to
increment the build number at the end (and change the initials to yours if
someone else had built the package before). Create a package submission in
the sourceforge tracker.

That's it from me for now. As I said, I'll probably not have any
internet access for the following 10 days or so.

See ya!

Re: [Salix-main] Working on 14.1

Tim Beech
OK, well, for starters, I'll do vimprobable, ratpoison, feh. I think the
latter was one of mine last time too.

Tim

On Sat, 16 Nov 2013, George Vlahavas wrote:

> I have now uploaded the libreoffice packages to the repos. I took djemos's
> packages for libreoffice and laprjns's packages for the libreoffice
> locales.
>
> Rich, I couldn't use your libreoffice help packages, because there are
> only 64bit packages in your repo. Also I couldn't use your xfce plugins
> packages, because I need to sort them out. It seems there are a couple of
> packages in there that I have already uploaded to the repos and there are
> others with identical names as the packages in 14.0 and I'm not sure if
> they had been rebuilt or if they are just transfers from 14.0. If you can
> make a list of what is what it would be very helpful.
>
> Unfortunately, as some of you already know, I will be away for around
> 10 days (still don't know how many exactly), starting tonight,  and I
> probably won't have any internet access in the meantime (and of course
> I won't be able to work on anything related to Salix for this time).
>
> If someone has the time, it would be helpful if you got more packages
> built during this time. You should give precence to the packages you use
> yourselves and the packages that are on the standard iso (xfce and kde).
> Please coordinate with each other by announcing your intentions in the
> mailing list, so that two people won't end up doing the same packages.
>
> As a reminder:
> * If a new version of a package that we had in 14.0 has been released,
> package that. Create a ticket in the package submission tracker in
> sourceforge.
> * If no new version of a package that we had in 14.0 has been released,
> first check if the package in 14.0 works OK in 14.1.
>   1. If it works OK, then calculate dependencies in 14.1 system (they
> might be different than 14.0) and put a transfer request in the package
> submission tracker in sourceforge.
>   2. If the old package doesn't work OK, rebuild it. Don't forget to
> increment the build number at the end (and change the initials to yours if
> someone else had built the package before). Create a package submission in
> the sourceforge tracker.
>
> That's it from me for now. As I said, I'll probably not have any
> internet access for the following 10 days or so.
>
> See ya!

Re: [Salix-main] Working on 14.1

Tim Beech
Note that slk-pkgcheck is already available in the 14.1 repos :)

Re: [Salix-main] Working on 14.1

Richard Lapointe

On 11/16/2013 01:28 PM, George Vlahavas wrote:
Rich, I couldn't use your libreoffice help packages, because there are
only 64bit packages in your repo.
Not sure what make you think this.  There are packages for both 64 and 32bit in my repo
http://people.salixos.org/laprjns/14.1/xap/libreoffice/
I tested both packages before uploading them.  I did have an incomplete upload, but correct that within a day after getting the message.  Anyway it doesn't matter.

Also I couldn't use your xfce plugins
packages, because I need to sort them out. It seems there are a couple of
packages in there that I have already uploaded to the repos and there are
others with identical names as the packages in 14.0 and I'm not sure if
they had been rebuilt or if they are just transfers from 14.0. If you can
make a list of what is what it would be very helpful.
Well I rebuilt them all, but many have not advanced in version so here's the list:

thunar-archive-plugin            transfer
thunar-media-tags-plugin      transfer
xfce4-battery-plugin              transfer
xfce4-cpufreq-plugin             transfer
xfce4-cpugraph-plugin          transfer
xfce4-diskperf-plugin             transfer
xfce4-genmon-plugin             transfer
xfce4-netload-plugin              transfer
xfce4-notes-plugin                transfer
xfce4-places-plugin               New version
xfce4-quicklauncher-plugin   transfer
xfce4-verve-plugin                transfer
xfce4-wavelan-plugin            New version
xfce4-xkb-plugin                  New version

I have not tested the transfer packages in 14.1 . I'll do this over the next week.

Rich Lapointe

Re: [Salix-main] Working on 14.1

George Vlahavas
Rich, I was talking about the libreoffice-help packages in f/, not the
libreoffice packages. I got the libreoffice packages from djemos,
simply because by the time you had uploaded the packages again, I had
already grabbed the ones by djemos.