[Salix-main] Work on 14.2

George Vlahavas
Hi all,

I have slowly started working on 14.2.

Initially, I created slackware-14.2 repositories. These track
slackware-current for now, but will switch to 14.2 when it is officially
released. They include dependency information as with our previous
releases. You can find the dependency files here:

https://github.com/gapan/slackware-deps

Then I started populating our own 14.2 repositories. You can find these
under:

http://slackware.uk/salix/i486/14.2/
and
http://slackware.uk/salix/x86_64/14.2/

For now I have been trying to add packages to complete the lists for our
xfce iso, but I'm only adding things that I believe are not going to need
a rebuild until slackware goes into RC1. There are a lot of things
still missing, but if you feel adventurous enough, you can upgrade. I have
added instructions in the wiki:

https://docs.salixos.org/wiki/How_to_upgrade_Salix_14.1_to_14.2

You'll find things like libreoffice or firefox locales or many other stuff
missing. This is definitely not for everyone and please don't upgrade your
main boxes yet. You could certainly try in a VM or in a secondary PC
though.

At the same time, I'm updating the xfce iso package lists:
https://github.com/gapan/iso-creation/tree/master/lists-xfce
This is a work in progress of course.

To complete the package lists for xfce, we need about 60 more packages,
which is not too bad.

We could probably make an initial alpha release iso in a week or two.

I don't think we should start rebuilding everything for 14.2 yet. I'm
waiting for slackware to go to RC1 first at least. But we can test what is
already there.

In other news, Didier Spaier offered to work on the standard installer. He
would be updating it for 14.2 and at the same time (and more importantly)
he will be adding internationalization support to it! Didier has already
internationalized the slackware installer, so he has good experience with
this. Unfortunately, PV doesn't seem to be interested in it though. So, at
some point, we're going to need some translations for it. Thanks Didier!

I will be sending more emails about things to do for 14.2...

Regards,

George

Re: [Salix-main] Work on 14.2

ChuangTzu
This is great news all around.  Thank You George!

George Vlahavas wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have slowly started working on 14.2.
>
> Initially, I created slackware-14.2 repositories. These track
> slackware-current for now, but will switch to 14.2 when it is officially
> released. They include dependency information as with our previous
> releases. You can find the dependency files here:
>
> https://github.com/gapan/slackware-deps
>
> Then I started populating our own 14.2 repositories. You can find these
> under:
>
> http://slackware.uk/salix/i486/14.2/
> and
> http://slackware.uk/salix/x86_64/14.2/
>
> For now I have been trying to add packages to complete the lists for our
> xfce iso, but I'm only adding things that I believe are not going to need
> a rebuild until slackware goes into RC1. There are a lot of things
> still missing, but if you feel adventurous enough, you can upgrade. I have
> added instructions in the wiki:
>
> https://docs.salixos.org/wiki/How_to_upgrade_Salix_14.1_to_14.2
>
> You'll find things like libreoffice or firefox locales or many other stuff
> missing. This is definitely not for everyone and please don't upgrade your
> main boxes yet. You could certainly try in a VM or in a secondary PC
> though.
>
> At the same time, I'm updating the xfce iso package lists:
> https://github.com/gapan/iso-creation/tree/master/lists-xfce
> This is a work in progress of course.
>
> To complete the package lists for xfce, we need about 60 more packages,
> which is not too bad.
>
> We could probably make an initial alpha release iso in a week or two.
>
> I don't think we should start rebuilding everything for 14.2 yet. I'm
> waiting for slackware to go to RC1 first at least. But we can test what is
> already there.
>
> In other news, Didier Spaier offered to work on the standard installer. He
> would be updating it for 14.2 and at the same time (and more importantly)
> he will be adding internationalization support to it! Didier has already
> internationalized the slackware installer, so he has good experience with
> this. Unfortunately, PV doesn't seem to be interested in it though. So, at
> some point, we're going to need some translations for it. Thanks Didier!
>
> I will be sending more emails about things to do for 14.2...
>
> Regards,
>
> George

Re: [Salix-main] Work on 14.2

Thorsten M.-2
Am 09.03.2016 14:04 schrieb George Vlahavas:

> For now I have been trying to add packages to complete the lists for
> our
> xfce iso, but I'm only adding things that I believe are not going to
> need
> a rebuild until slackware goes into RC1. There are a lot of things
> still missing, but if you feel adventurous enough, you can upgrade. I
> have
> added instructions in the wiki:
>
> https://docs.salixos.org/wiki/How_to_upgrade_Salix_14.1_to_14.2
>
> You'll find things like libreoffice or firefox locales or many other
> stuff
> missing. This is definitely not for everyone and please don't upgrade
> your
> main boxes yet. You could certainly try in a VM or in a secondary PC
> though.

I've installed Salix Openbox 14.1 in a VM and upgraded to 14.2. System
was usable after upgrade but I had to switch to runlevel 3 because GDM
is broken and needs a rebuild.
Probably I will also upgrade my main machine soon because I need a more
recent kernel anyway.

I've added this to the wiki to make the upgrade more easy:
There are some more packages replaced or removed that most users want to
follow, too:
slapt-get -i aaa_elflibs procps-ng ConsoleKit2 adwaita-icon-theme motif
elfutils libjpeg-turbo libtirpc rpcbind
spkg -d cxxlibs procps ConsoleKit gnome-icon-theme imlib lesstif libelf
libjpeg portmap xf86-input-aiptek xf86-video-modesetting

Greetings
Thorsten

Re: [Salix-main] Work on 14.2

Dimitris Tzemos-3
I also want to add that if glibc-solibs is also installed then upgrading
in init 4 may break system, make it unusable and has to boot with live
iso or other salix version installed to reinstall glibc. New users will
have serious problems with this.
I do not think this is happened only to me. It is happened twice.

So it is better to tell users to remove glibc-solibs if it is installed
before upgrade the system.

On 14/03/2016 03:33 μμ, Thorsten M. wrote:

> Am 09.03.2016 14:04 schrieb George Vlahavas:
>> For now I have been trying to add packages to complete the lists for
>> our
>> xfce iso, but I'm only adding things that I believe are not going to
>> need
>> a rebuild until slackware goes into RC1. There are a lot of things
>> still missing, but if you feel adventurous enough, you can upgrade. I
>> have
>> added instructions in the wiki:
>>
>> https://docs.salixos.org/wiki/How_to_upgrade_Salix_14.1_to_14.2
>>
>> You'll find things like libreoffice or firefox locales or many other
>> stuff
>> missing. This is definitely not for everyone and please don't upgrade
>> your
>> main boxes yet. You could certainly try in a VM or in a secondary PC
>> though.
> I've installed Salix Openbox 14.1 in a VM and upgraded to 14.2. System
> was usable after upgrade but I had to switch to runlevel 3 because GDM
> is broken and needs a rebuild.
> Probably I will also upgrade my main machine soon because I need a more
> recent kernel anyway.
>
> I've added this to the wiki to make the upgrade more easy:
> There are some more packages replaced or removed that most users want to
> follow, too:
> slapt-get -i aaa_elflibs procps-ng ConsoleKit2 adwaita-icon-theme motif
> elfutils libjpeg-turbo libtirpc rpcbind
> spkg -d cxxlibs procps ConsoleKit gnome-icon-theme imlib lesstif libelf
> libjpeg portmap xf86-input-aiptek xf86-video-modesetting
>

> Greetings
> Thorsten

Re: [Salix-main] Work on 14.2

Hi Thorsten,

On Mon, 14 Mar 2016, Thorsten M. wrote:

> I've installed Salix Openbox 14.1 in a VM and upgraded to 14.2. System
> was usable after upgrade but I had to switch to runlevel 3 because GDM
> is broken and needs a rebuild.

Actually, there is no GDM in 14.2 yet. I'm not even sure GDM is usable in
14.2 anymore. We might finally have to switch to something else (LXDM
perhaps).

> Probably I will also upgrade my main machine soon because I need a more
> recent kernel anyway.

If it's your main PC, you should probably wait a bit more. You can only
upgrade the kernel if you like. Otherwise you'll have to compile lots of
things from SlackBuilds if you want to have something usable.

> I've added this to the wiki to make the upgrade more easy:
> There are some more packages replaced or removed that most users want to
> follow, too:
> slapt-get -i aaa_elflibs procps-ng ConsoleKit2 adwaita-icon-theme motif
> elfutils libjpeg-turbo libtirpc rpcbind

aaa_elflibs should probably not be installed in Salix. It is nothing but a
collection of libraries that are already present in other packages. If
someone actually wants to install it, he better do that before upgrading
any other package.

motif is not installed by default in any salix edition. If the user has
another package that needs it, it will be installed anyway.

elfutils, libjpeg-turbo, libtirpc and rpcbind will be installed as
dependencies of other packages anyway.

For adwaita-icon-theme, it's a maybe. Depends on which icon theme we'll
end up using as default in 14.2.

procps-ng and ConsoleKit2 are probably valid suggestions as they don't
appear as dependencies, but are actually needed.

> spkg -d cxxlibs procps ConsoleKit gnome-icon-theme imlib lesstif libelf
> libjpeg portmap xf86-input-aiptek xf86-video-modesetting

All these will be taken care of by the:

slapt-get --remove-obsolete --remove

step, which is mentioned already.

Re: [Salix-main] Work on 14.2

Hi Dimitris,

On Mon, 14 Mar 2016, Dimitris Tzemos wrote:

> I also want to add that if glibc-solibs is also installed then upgrading
> in init 4 may break system, make it unusable and has to boot with live
> iso or other salix version installed to reinstall glibc. New users will
> have serious problems with this.
> I do not think this is happened only to me. It is happened twice.

I'm not sure. In any case glibc-solibs is not installed by default in
salix and it is locked in gslapt, so if a user has it installed, he should
better know what he's doing. I cannot see how new users will have
glibc-solibs installed in their system.

As a note, if something goes wrong during a glibc-* package upgrade, it's
most probably something in the doinst failed to run. If you still have a
root terminal open, it will most probably be fixed by running:

ldconfig

without having to reboot with a live CD or anything.

Re: [Salix-main] Work on 14.2

Dimitris Tzemos-2
George i have unsusable system ls and everything in /bin /sbin was not
there :-) To be sure if both are installed need to go to init 1 and
upgrade.
ldconfig could not execute either.
Never mind.
About gdm. It is usable and i have no problem use it. Of course I had to
recompiled it. It is working fine.

Dimitris

On 15/03/2016 12:21 πμ, George Vlahavas wrote:

> Hi Dimitris,
>
> On Mon, 14 Mar 2016, Dimitris Tzemos wrote:
>
>> I also want to add that if glibc-solibs is also installed then upgrading
>> in init 4 may break system, make it unusable and has to boot with live
>> iso or other salix version installed to reinstall glibc. New users will
>> have serious problems with this.
>> I do not think this is happened only to me. It is happened twice.
> I'm not sure. In any case glibc-solibs is not installed by default in
> salix and it is locked in gslapt, so if a user has it installed, he should
> better know what he's doing. I cannot see how new users will have
> glibc-solibs installed in their system.
>
> As a note, if something goes wrong during a glibc-* package upgrade, it's
> most probably something in the doinst failed to run. If you still have a
> root terminal open, it will most probably be fixed by running:
>
> ldconfig
>
> without having to reboot with a live CD or anything.

Re: [Salix-main] Work on 14.2

Thorsten M.-2
Hi George,

> Actually, there is no GDM in 14.2 yet. I'm not even sure GDM is usable
> in
> 14.2 anymore. We might finally have to switch to something else (LXDM
> perhaps).

Of course I was talking about the old GDM package from 14.1, which was
not upgraded. Was meant just as note for others. Switching to runlevel 3
in inittab and startx works until there is a new login manager. Or
switching to KDM should work, too.

> probably wait a bit more. You can only
> upgrade the kernel if you like.

Got a question here: Some time ago I've tried to switch to the Slackware
current kernel, which did not work. My impression was it will not work
together with udev, so I switched back to my self compiled kernel. I did
not want to spend much time with it. I know there was a lot of
discussion about systemd in the past, which I did not follow. Also I did
not follow kernel development. Does the 4.4 kernel still work with udev?

  > elfutils, libjpeg-turbo, libtirpc and rpcbind will be installed as
> dependencies of other packages anyway.

You are right, dependencies should manage this in Salix ;)

> For adwaita-icon-theme, it's a maybe. Depends on which icon theme we'll
> end up using as default in 14.2.

Correct.

> All these will be taken care of by the:
>
> slapt-get --remove-obsolete --remove
>
> step, which is mentioned already.

I'm just not a friend of this step because it removes all self compiled
packages (including slapt-src packages), doesn't it?

Thorsten

Re: [Salix-main] Work on 14.2

Dimitris Tzemos-3
To be clear about gdm.
I mean that for 14.2 gdm need libgnomecanvas to be recompiled and other
packages maybe i do not remember now. And gdm itself need to recompile
also.
After that gdm is working fine in 14.2
And the prove is slackel-openbox 6.0.5 beta2 which after upgrade to
latest packages and 4.4.5 kernel from slackware i use as my main os.

Dimitris

On 15/03/2016 10:14 πμ, Thorsten M. wrote:

> Hi George,
>
>> Actually, there is no GDM in 14.2 yet. I'm not even sure GDM is usable
>> in
>> 14.2 anymore. We might finally have to switch to something else (LXDM
>> perhaps).
> Of course I was talking about the old GDM package from 14.1, which was
> not upgraded. Was meant just as note for others. Switching to runlevel 3
> in inittab and startx works until there is a new login manager. Or
> switching to KDM should work, too.
>
>> probably wait a bit more. You can only
>> upgrade the kernel if you like.
> Got a question here: Some time ago I've tried to switch to the Slackware
> current kernel, which did not work. My impression was it will not work
> together with udev, so I switched back to my self compiled kernel. I did
> not want to spend much time with it. I know there was a lot of
> discussion about systemd in the past, which I did not follow. Also I did
> not follow kernel development. Does the 4.4 kernel still work with udev?
>
>    > elfutils, libjpeg-turbo, libtirpc and rpcbind will be installed as
>> dependencies of other packages anyway.
> You are right, dependencies should manage this in Salix ;)
>
>> For adwaita-icon-theme, it's a maybe. Depends on which icon theme we'll
>> end up using as default in 14.2.
> Correct.
>
>> All these will be taken care of by the:
>>
>> slapt-get --remove-obsolete --remove
>>
>> step, which is mentioned already.
> I'm just not a friend of this step because it removes all self compiled
> packages (including slapt-src packages), doesn't it?
>
> Thorsten

Re: [Salix-main] Work on 14.2

Tim Beech
> Got a question here: Some time ago I've tried to switch to the Slackware
> current kernel, which did not work. My impression was it will not work
> together with udev, so I switched back to my self compiled kernel. I did
> not want to spend much time with it. I know there was a lot of
> discussion about systemd in the past, which I did not follow. Also I did
> not follow kernel development. Does the 4.4 kernel still work with udev?

I've been using the 4.4.4 kernel in 14.1 with no problems for some time.

Re: [Salix-main] Work on 14.2

Thorsten M.-2
Am 15.03.2016 11:10 schrieb tim.beech:

>> Got a question here: Some time ago I've tried to switch to the
>> Slackware
>> current kernel, which did not work. My impression was it will not work
>> together with udev, so I switched back to my self compiled kernel. I
>> did
>> not want to spend much time with it. I know there was a lot of
>> discussion about systemd in the past, which I did not follow. Also I
>> did
>> not follow kernel development. Does the 4.4 kernel still work with
>> udev?
>
> I've been using the 4.4.4 kernel in 14.1 with no problems for some
> time.

I've tested again with 4.4.5 kernel from current and it works :-) No
idea what went wrong last time. Only issue so far: cdrecord showed an
error about missing /dev/pg* files. I had to do "modproge sg" to get it
working again.

Re: [Salix-main] Work on 14.2

On Tue, 15 Mar 2016, Thorsten M. wrote:

>> All these will be taken care of by the:
>>
>> slapt-get --remove-obsolete --remove
>>
>> step, which is mentioned already.
>
> I'm just not a friend of this step because it removes all self compiled
> packages (including slapt-src packages), doesn't it?

Correct. But you'll probably have to rebuild almost all of those anyway.

Re: [Salix-main] Work on 14.2

On Tue, 15 Mar 2016, Dimitris Tzemos wrote:

> To be clear about gdm.
> I mean that for 14.2 gdm need libgnomecanvas to be recompiled and other
> packages maybe i do not remember now. And gdm itself need to recompile
> also.
> After that gdm is working fine in 14.2
> And the prove is slackel-openbox 6.0.5 beta2 which after upgrade to
> latest packages and 4.4.5 kernel from slackware i use as my main os.

Thank you dimitris. I will update gdm for 14.2.

Re: [Salix-main] Work on 14.2

When upgrading to 14.2, as well as installing glibc-zoneinfo you'll also
have to install glibc-i18n, which has also been completely split off from
the main glibc package. Otherwise you'll only get english locale.

I have added the information to the wiki page.