Quantcast

[Salix-main] Taking a looming break

Andreas Born
Hello everybody,

first of all, a happy new year to all of you.

Some of you probably noticed how quiet it got around me. I'm sorry for
having silently dropped out of the picture for quite a while now.
Unfortunately, since I started studying, there has been a growing
tendency that gave me increasingly less time for Salix. This semester
I've been struck by various, bigger than expected tasks, right after
returning from my holiday trip. Since that time I've been unable to
catch up and am even still running 13.37. Ffortunately Salix is that
stable, that I wouldn't need to bother at all, if it weren't for the one
or other more recent application which I need. ;)
Currently I prefer or rather need to spend the few spare time otherwise.
Friendships require their fair share too and my physical (and mental)
health should not be ignored either.

I don't like for myself, not having been able to accomplish the smallest
bit of what I've been planning for. Grub2 for example would have been
one of my highest priorities, being a requirement for Salix Live.
Currently I can't predict when this tense situation is going to get
better. I'm hoping so far for the next holidays, but then again last
time it didn't work out as expected too. I always enjoyed working on
Salix together with an amazing team and I dearly wish to continue doing
so soon. But don't expect much action from me regarding Salix in the
next time. However, let's see what the future holds ...

With all my best wishes,
Andreas

Re: [Salix-main] Taking a looming break

Pierrick Le Brun
Hi Andrea and all,

I finally take the time to answer you and share some of my own
predicaments along the same line. :)

First, it's really nice to have some news from you and have you back
around (even if sparingly). I'd say that not only were you missed on the
LiveCD grub2 front, but also on the forum where your knowledgeable input
have been invaluable over the years.

But hey, that's life and I know exactly what you are talking about. I
have struggled to find any substantial quality time to give to Salix
this last year. Being self-employed actually means that I do not have
off time that easily but also, some of my loved ones long lasting health
problems require my attention and care, as some of you may know.

The truth is that time is simply a limited commodity and we all have to
constantly assess how to best distribute it between our loved ones, our
job and obligations, our friends, our personal needs, hobbies,
emergencies or crisis. And since we can't do it all, we have to make
choices. Some times, it is easy, some other times, it is more complicated.

This is why I am so thankful for you guys: George, Cyrille, FredG and
Djemos who have been working tirelessly these last few months, but also
Richard our long standing package contributor as well as Tim and Chris,
some of our new active packagers which Richard have patiently coached
along. Not to speak of some of our very reactive translators who have
also spent many hours to keep our translations current. Of course, the
rest of us have indeed helped whenever we could, but the few of you guys
mostly kept Salix going. Heartfelt Thank You!

At some point, I have even seriously considered to put myself on the
veteran list too. But I love Salix too much and I do not despair to find
time here and there, even if not regularly, to keep on contributing
somehow. Better do less things in a satisfactory fashion than having a
finger in every pie, and do it less than average. That is why in the
coming months, I'd like to recenter my Salix responsibilities mainly
around the server which in itself is a big job if it is to be done well,
as our recent problems with the forum sluggishness and crashes
demonstrated (which thankfully is now fixed). The server administration,
updates, security, backup, automated scripts, etc, are all jobs that go
unnoticed unless they are not taken care of and I have a lot to do on
that front.

The publishing automated script I'm working on ATM is part of that
server administration. Basically anything server side that can help
improve Salix. And since that server care is also primordial for my own
job, that way I'll kill two birds with one stone.

So you guys can count on me for that, but, I'll have to minimize my
contributions to the LiveCD, I just won't be able to do it so I'd rather
you guys don't count on me (at least for the immediate future).

I believe FredG and Cyrille have started forking some of my tools for
the upcoming LiveCD and that is great! But they will probably need
plenty of help, so if anyone reading this want to help contribute to the
LiveCD, there is a great need with testing and with the live tools
rewriting (if you have some experience with python, gtk and glade, I
originally wrote those tools as a learning project, and it shows ;) ).

ATM, Cyrille does have his hands full with the SaLT scripts, and FredG
is already spending countless hours on the packaging quality
verification. But this is one of the great things about Salix, we are
not elitist and we welcome everyone contributions (so long as they are
useful ;) ), so don't feel shy if you read this and you want to get more
involved, let us know about it.

All this to say that realistically we can only do what we can do, and if
we can't do something, that is probably because someone else is meant to
take care of it. Sharing the need might help raise new vocation? I hope
so. Let's see!

I better stop here as this is long enough (too long) and the publishing
waits for me

:)

Pierrick

On 07/01/2013 18:59, Andreas Born wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> first of all, a happy new year to all of you.
>
> Some of you probably noticed how quiet it got around me. I'm sorry for
> having silently dropped out of the picture for quite a while now.
> Unfortunately, since I started studying, there has been a growing
> tendency that gave me increasingly less time for Salix. This semester
> I've been struck by various, bigger than expected tasks, right after
> returning from my holiday trip. Since that time I've been unable to
> catch up and am even still running 13.37. Ffortunately Salix is that
> stable, that I wouldn't need to bother at all, if it weren't for the one
> or other more recent application which I need. ;)
> Currently I prefer or rather need to spend the few spare time otherwise.
> Friendships require their fair share too and my physical (and mental)
> health should not be ignored either.
>
> I don't like for myself, not having been able to accomplish the smallest
> bit of what I've been planning for. Grub2 for example would have been
> one of my highest priorities, being a requirement for Salix Live.
> Currently I can't predict when this tense situation is going to get
> better. I'm hoping so far for the next holidays, but then again last
> time it didn't work out as expected too. I always enjoyed working on
> Salix together with an amazing team and I dearly wish to continue doing
> so soon. But don't expect much action from me regarding Salix in the
> next time. However, let's see what the future holds ...
>
> With all my best wishes,
> Andreas

Re: [Salix-main] Taking a looming break

jayseye
Hi all,

I'm interested in Salix Live, and experienced with pyGTK / Glade /
etc. The main question is whether the best fit would be as a
developer, or a tester.

Some of you might recall my occasional participation on the Forum,
here on Salix-Main, and/or on Google Plus.

Marc Paul Rubin
Username jayseye

On 21/01/2013 09:43, Pierrick Le Brun wrote:

> Marc (or Marc Paul?), this is great! :-)
>
> Let's see how we can work out something. To start with, we could work
> out some meeting on the chan and talk about it more concretely.
>
> Let's try to find some convenient time in spite of the time zone. I'll
> be out of the picture until tomorrow evening, but then I'll hang
> around there again.
>
> Pierrick
>
> On 19/01/2013 22:03, jayseye wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm interested in Salix Live, and experienced with pyGTK / Glade /
>> etc. The main question is whether the best fit would be as a
>> developer, or a tester.
>>
>> Some of you might recall my occasional participation on the Forum,
>> here on Salix-Main, and/or on Google Plus.
>>
>> Marc Paul Rubin
>> Username jayseye
>>
>> On 1/19/13, Pierrick Le Brun <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I believe FredG and Cyrille have started forking some of my tools for
>>> the upcoming LiveCD and that is great! But they will probably need
>>> plenty of help, so if anyone reading this want to help contribute to
>>> the
>>> LiveCD, there is a great need with testing and with the live tools
>>> rewriting (if you have some experience with python, gtk and glade, I
>>> originally wrote those tools as a learning project, and it shows ;) ).

Re: [Salix-main] Taking a looming break

jayseye
Either "Marc" or "jayseye" works fine Pierrick; we can switch to
"Marc-Paul" if and when I visit France ;->

E-mail would really work best for me, either private or on the
[salix-main] mailing list. My schedule is erratic, plus I'm currently
working on a development project. However, Salix (and Slackel) is my
main OS, on several PCs, so I do consider it important.

My personal Google Plus profile has some professional background info
at <https://plus.google.com/102662062734138107918/about>, and there
are links there to other G+ pages with more specific experience &
interests. And a few actual pictures of me, rather than just my cat...

Are there any particular questions / issues that you would like to discuss?

Regards,
Marc