[Salix-main] Salix manual to Spanish

Perseo

Re: [Salix-main] Salix manual to Spanish

On Mon, 26 Jan 2015, Perseo wrote:
> How about community!!!
>
> The reason why I write is to following. I recently started translating
> the Salix manual to Spanish and I would like to know if: Is there any
> person or team responsible for this section to whom I can to refer? Is
> it possible to contribute openly?
>
> Thanks in advance...

This is a very big task you started working on. I don't mean to discourage
you, but...

1. It really is a lot of work. Ideally you should do it together with at
least another person so that one catches the mistakes the other one makes.
If you do it alone, there will definitely be mistakes in your translated
text, no matter how hard you try.

2. We don't have a procedure for translating the startup guide. The method
that is used to write the guide right now, does not facilitate
translations in any way. For such big projects, there are no
tools that would make the whole translation process easy. Actually, there
are some tools, but they are no more than half measures. Using them will
result in awful more work for people that are already stretched thin with
other tasks. So you have to do everything manually and translate
everything sentence by sentence.

3. If you in fact start working on this, you should definitely *not*
translate using the web files as the source. You should also *not* use
word processing software. The source files for generating the guide are
found here:

https://github.com/gapan/salix-startup-guide

txt2tags is used for generating the final texts. What you should translate
is the *.t2t files. There's basically a single file right now, the
guide.t2t file. You could create a guide_es.t2t file and work on that,
sentence by sentence. You should be careful with formatting text and be
aware of how txt2tags works and how text is marked. You should at least
read the respective documentation in the txt2tags homepage. If you simply
translate using the html files as reference, or use a word processor,
your work will simply go to waste, as we will not be able to use it in any
way.

4. You should make sure that everything looks OK in at least html and pdf
outputs.

5. If you finish the translation, then you'll have to take care to
manually update it as soon as any changes are made to the original text.
While it is unlikely any changes might happen in the following
weeks/months, they will most probably happen when we will be preparing a
new release. Manually monitoring the original text for changes might be
over your head (although you can use git to help with that),
so really consider this point. You might be willing to put a lot of work
on this now, but if changes are made and they are not included in your
translation, it will be out of date and will not be offered to users
anymore. So all your work would seemingly go to waste.

All I'm saying is do not consider this lightly. It is a huge task which
you will have to keep working on in the future. Otherwise it will go to
waste, as the several translations of the previous version of the guide
did. If you do finish and you keep updating it, I'm sure it will be a lot
of help for spanish-speaking people, so everyone would be grateful.

Good luck with your effort, if you need any help with technical matters,
don't be afraid to ask.

Re: [Salix-main] Salix manual to Spanish

Perseo

I got it, thanks for responding!

During the translation process I observed some aspects that are not
updated in the original manual, an example of this situation is the
following:

In section 1.0.2. Salix Editions
(http://guide.salixos.org/102SalixEditions.html) says: "Salix comes in
four different editions - MATE, Xfce , KDE, and Ratpoison", when
currently in the download page appear 6 flavors.

So, can I work directly in the manual sending corrections and updates?
(I really would be happy to do it)

Regards

El 28/01/15 a las 06:15, George Vlahavas escribió:

> [...]
> and they are not included in your translation, it will be out of
> date and will not be offered to users anymore. So all your work
> would seemingly go to waste.
>
> All I'm saying is do not consider this lightly. It is a huge task
> which you will have to keep working on in the future. Otherwise it
> will go to waste, as the several translations of the previous
> version of the guide did. If you do finish and you keep updating
> it, I'm sure it will be a lot of help for spanish-speaking people,
> so everyone would be grateful.
>
> Good luck with your effort, if you need any help with technical
> matters, don't be afraid to ask.

> Media, is your hub for all things parallel software development,
> from weekly thought leadership blogs to news, videos, case studies,
> tutorials and more. Take a look and join the conversation now.

  * Inglés - detectado
  * Español

  * Español

 <javascript:void(0);>

Re: [Salix-main] Salix manual to Spanish

George Vlahavas
On Wed, 28 Jan 2015, Perseo wrote:

> I got it, thanks for responding!
>
> During the translation process I observed some aspects that are not
> updated in the original manual, an example of this situation is the
> following:
>
> In section 1.0.2. Salix Editions
> (http://guide.salixos.org/102SalixEditions.html) says: "Salix comes in
> four different editions - MATE, Xfce , KDE, and Ratpoison", when
> currently in the download page appear 6 flavors.
>
> So, can I work directly in the manual sending corrections and updates?
> (I really would be happy to do it)

Sure, that would be great! Just clone the git repo, make any necessary
changes and then do a pull request.