Quantcast

[Salix-main] Salix Xfce 14.2alpha1

George Vlahavas
Hi all,

I have created an alpha release for 14.2, so it's easier for everyone to
start working on it.

I have not yet uploaded the isos to Sourceforge. I'm only just seeding the
torrents now from my home connection, but still that would be the fastest
and safest way to get them. The upload is slow, but in a few hours from
now, our seedboxes will have picked up the entire isos and then you'll be
able to download really fast.

You can get the torrents from here:
http://people.salixos.org/gapan/iso/

I'll upload the isos to Sourceforge tomorrow and make an announcement in
the forums.

Here's a list of known issues:

- you might not be able to launch X on a UEFI system and the 64bit iso. At
least it wasn't possible for me in a single Virtualbox installation that I
have tried. This could probably be only just an issue with Virtualbox and
UEFI, because I installed the VirtualBox additions and then I could get X.
It might not be a problem with installing on real UEFI hardware. More
testing is needed.
- if you use the 64bit iso, at boot, select the english locale. All others
won't work anyway.
- during installation, make sure you select the correct source for
packages with the first try. If you're installing from a CD, don't select
"USB stick" as the source. The installation will later fail and you'll
have to restart the installer.
- the wpa_gui, hplip and v4l-utils GUIs don't work
- leafpad doesn't start. Update the package using the package manager (You
should get a notification about it soon after boot).
- you'll have to start NetworkManager manually after first boot to have
network access: sudo service start networkmanager
- you'll have to select firefox as the default browser when you first
click on the quicklaunch icon
- some applications/packages are missing. The main ones are: webkitgtk,
claws-mail, flash-plugin, libreoffice, openjre, transmission, zim
- a lot of codecs are missing, as well as salix-codecs-installer. So don't
expect anything gstreamer-based to play proprietary formats.
- the artwork is exactly the same as in 14.1. This will change (we're open
to suggestions -- I'll probably send a separate email for this).

There's a lot of work to be done. You can start submitting packages now.
Feel free to package anything you're missing from your day-to-day work
first.

In the mean time, Didier Spaier has been working hard on the installer.
He's made it possible to translate the installer in different languages
and borrowing translations from his slint project (http://slint.fr/), most
of the translations are almost complete! This alpha does not include these
translations, but these will appear in future releases. We're hoping to
support as many languages as possible in the installer.

Happy testing!

George

Re: [Salix-main] Salix Xfce 14.2alpha1

Tim Beech

> - you might not be able to launch X on a UEFI system and the 64bit iso. At
> least it wasn't possible for me in a single Virtualbox installation that I
> have tried. This could probably be only just an issue with Virtualbox and
> UEFI, because I installed the VirtualBox additions and then I could get X.
> It might not be a problem with installing on real UEFI hardware. More
> testing is needed.
I can confirm that it works in a real UEFI install - but I did need to change
to boot into runlevel 3, and use startx. I haven't tried 32bit yet.