Quantcast

[Salix-main] Salix Xfce 14.1RC1

George Vlahavas
Hi, the first Release Candidate is out. If everything is well, we should
release it as final after it has received a bit of testing. See the
announcement in the forums here:

http://forum.salixos.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5107

Thanks!

Re: [Salix-main] Salix Xfce 14.1RC1

Didier Spaier
On 09/02/2014 13:06, George Vlahavas wrote:
> Hi, the first Release Candidate is out. If everything is well, we should
> release it as final after it has received a bit of testing.

As already posted on IRC, I successfully installed salix64 XFCE 14.1RC1 in a vmplayer VM with efi. Congrats!

I prefer to stay with su instead of sudo, but that's only my taste. Anyway just changing root's password at end of installation did the trick ;)

Other than that, in case you were too busy to notice these days, now slint includes Greek translation, see:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/internationalized-slackware-14-installer-what-languages-to-start-4175455701/#post5112404
and the changelog: http://slint.fr/changelog.html

Oh, and I'm ready to begin internationalization of Salix installer, just waiting for your instructions about how-to communicate edited files included in the initrd  ;)

Re: [Salix-main] Salix Xfce 14.1RC1

Cyrille Pontvieux-3
Good!
Didn't tested the RC1, but I bet it's ok.
Gapan, could you consider to include my modified grub package in it? It will
not change a thing, but then one will not have an update of it just after
installation (because I need it for Live). If what I'm saying is too
nebulous, please ask me in one-to-one email. (I often don't express myself in
simple comprehensive way :'( ).

I'll test this RC1 today when I go home.

Cyrille.

Le 2014-02-09 19:12, Didier Spaier a écrit :

> On 09/02/2014 13:06, George Vlahavas wrote:
>> Hi, the first Release Candidate is out. If everything is well, we should
>> release it as final after it has received a bit of testing.
>
> As already posted on IRC, I successfully installed salix64 XFCE 14.1RC1 in a
> vmplayer VM with efi. Congrats!
>
> I prefer to stay with su instead of sudo, but that's only my taste. Anyway
> just changing root's password at end of installation did the trick ;)
>
> Other than that, in case you were too busy to notice these days, now slint
> includes Greek translation, see:
> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/internationalized-slackware-14-installer-what-languages-to-start-4175455701/#post5112404
> and the changelog: http://slint.fr/changelog.html
>
> Oh, and I'm ready to begin internationalization of Salix installer, just
> waiting for your instructions about how-to communicate edited files included
> in the initrd  ;)

JRD - Cyrille Pontvieux

Re: [Salix-main] Salix Xfce 14.1RC1

Akuna
Installed well on my atom netbook, I'll have to use it a bit more to
detect eventual problems but so far so good.
It's an older machine, no efi.

Pierrick

Le 10/02/2014 10:19, Cyrille Pontvieux a écrit :

> Good!
> Didn't tested the RC1, but I bet it's ok.
> Gapan, could you consider to include my modified grub package in it? It will
> not change a thing, but then one will not have an update of it just after
> installation (because I need it for Live). If what I'm saying is too
> nebulous, please ask me in one-to-one email. (I often don't express myself in
> simple comprehensive way :'( ).
>
> I'll test this RC1 today when I go home.
>
> Cyrille.
>
> Le 2014-02-09 19:12, Didier Spaier a écrit :
>> On 09/02/2014 13:06, George Vlahavas wrote:
>>> Hi, the first Release Candidate is out. If everything is well, we should
>>> release it as final after it has received a bit of testing.
>> As already posted on IRC, I successfully installed salix64 XFCE 14.1RC1 in a
>> vmplayer VM with efi. Congrats!
>>
>> I prefer to stay with su instead of sudo, but that's only my taste. Anyway
>> just changing root's password at end of installation did the trick ;)
>>
>> Other than that, in case you were too busy to notice these days, now slint
>> includes Greek translation, see:
>> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/internationalized-slackware-14-installer-what-languages-to-start-4175455701/#post5112404
>> and the changelog: http://slint.fr/changelog.html
>>
>> Oh, and I'm ready to begin internationalization of Salix installer, just
>> waiting for your instructions about how-to communicate edited files included
>> in the initrd  ;)

Re: [Salix-main] Salix Xfce 14.1RC1

Hi Cyrille,

On Mon, 10 Feb 2014, Cyrille Pontvieux wrote:

> Gapan, could you consider to include my modified grub package in it?

Grub is not included as a package in the iso anyway. elilo is installed in
efi systems  and lilo otherwise. Grub is only used to boot the
installation medium in efi systems.

> It will
> not change a thing, but then one will not have an update of it just after
> installation (because I need it for Live). If what I'm saying is too
> nebulous, please ask me in one-to-one email. (I often don't express myself in
> simple comprehensive way :'( ).

I need to understand why we have to replace the slackware grub package. We
had a similar discussion with djemos some time ago, he wants to include
some extra scripts in the package. My suggestion was to not replace the
slackware grub package, but instead create a new grub-scripts or something
like that package that will only include the extra strings. Can we do the
same with your changes?

Re: [Salix-main] Salix Xfce 14.1RC1

Cyrille Pontvieux
Hi again,

> Grub is not included as a package in the iso anyway. elilo is installed in
> efi systems  and lilo otherwise. Grub is only used to boot the
> installation medium in efi systems.
Oh, of course. I didn't check…

> I need to understand why we have to replace the slackware grub package. We
> had a similar discussion with djemos some time ago, he wants to include
> some extra scripts in the package. My suggestion was to not replace the
> slackware grub package, but instead create a new grub-scripts or something
> like that package that will only include the extra strings. Can we do the
> same with your changes?
That is a good idea, but it's not scripts, it's C code compiled in, so it
cannot be provided as extra package. And of course I will discuss with you
(and anyone that want information) about the changes I made. Probably the
near meeting WE… I will probably not have time to finish polishing live tools
(BootSetup, LiveClone) until this date by the way.

Will email you later about your RC1, as promised.

Cyrille.

Re: [Salix-main] Salix Xfce 14.1RC1

Gatis Kalnins-2
Hi, have got checksum error, when try install gufw on i386 system.

On 2014.02.10. 19:06, Cyrille Pontvieux wrote:

> Hi again,
>
>> Grub is not included as a package in the iso anyway. elilo is installed in
>> efi systems  and lilo otherwise. Grub is only used to boot the
>> installation medium in efi systems.
> Oh, of course. I didn't check…
>
>> I need to understand why we have to replace the slackware grub package. We
>> had a similar discussion with djemos some time ago, he wants to include
>> some extra scripts in the package. My suggestion was to not replace the
>> slackware grub package, but instead create a new grub-scripts or something
>> like that package that will only include the extra strings. Can we do the
>> same with your changes?
> That is a good idea, but it's not scripts, it's C code compiled in, so it
> cannot be provided as extra package. And of course I will discuss with you
> (and anyone that want information) about the changes I made. Probably the
> near meeting WE… I will probably not have time to finish polishing live tools
> (BootSetup, LiveClone) until this date by the way.
>
> Will email you later about your RC1, as promised.
>
> Cyrille.

Gatis Kalnins
+371 26483745

Re: [Salix-main] Salix Xfce 14.1RC1

George Vlahavas
Try refreshing the package cache with slapt-get -u and then try again. Or
try another mirror.

On Mon, 10 Feb 2014, Gatis Kalnins wrote:

> Hi, have got checksum error, when try install gufw on i386 system.
>
> On 2014.02.10. 19:06, Cyrille Pontvieux wrote:
>> Hi again,
>>
>>> Grub is not included as a package in the iso anyway. elilo is installed in
>>> efi systems  and lilo otherwise. Grub is only used to boot the
>>> installation medium in efi systems.
>> Oh, of course. I didn't check…
>>
>>> I need to understand why we have to replace the slackware grub package. We
>>> had a similar discussion with djemos some time ago, he wants to include
>>> some extra scripts in the package. My suggestion was to not replace the
>>> slackware grub package, but instead create a new grub-scripts or something
>>> like that package that will only include the extra strings. Can we do the
>>> same with your changes?
>> That is a good idea, but it's not scripts, it's C code compiled in, so it
>> cannot be provided as extra package. And of course I will discuss with you
>> (and anyone that want information) about the changes I made. Probably the
>> near meeting WE… I will probably not have time to finish polishing live tools
>> (BootSetup, LiveClone) until this date by the way.
>>
>> Will email you later about your RC1, as promised.
>>
>> Cyrille.

> Gatis Kalnins
> +371 26483745

Re: [Salix-main] Salix Xfce 14.1RC1

Gatis Kalnins-2
Fixed. From my side no more bug reports. Thanks team for work :)

On 2014.02.10. 21:02, George Vlahavas wrote:
[...]

Androi apps run on BlackBerry 10
Get your Android app in front of a whole new audience.  Start now.

Gatis Kalnins
+371 26483745