[Salix-main] Salix 14.2 artwork

12

[Salix-main] Salix 14.2 artwork

George Vlahavas
Considering the artwork for the next release, I think I like this one for
the default wallpaper:
http://people.salixos.org/gapan/artwork/blurry_blue_1920x1200.png

It's definitely simpler than all previous ones... License is CC BY-NC-SA
3.0.

Does anybody else have any objections or other suggestions?

Also, what about the default icon theme, widget theme and window decorator
theme?

Until now we've been using this combination:

- icon theme: mate-colors-brave
- widgets: clearlooks-phenix
- windows: kokodi

however, clearlooks-phenix seems to have some problems with the newer GTK
3.18. Specifically, with abiword, the border around the page is black,
which is totally wrong. There may of course be similar problems with other
applications too. Now, the Adwaita theme doesn't seem to have any such
problems, and it's also the theme that is included by default in the gtk
packages, so it's definitely supported better. Keep in mind that we need a
theme that works and looks the same in both GTK+2 and GTK+3 applications.
It's a bonus if Qt applications can be made to look similar too. Adwaita
has all that and I don't think it's bad...

For the windows decorations, I'm suggesting to keep using the kokodi
theme. Unfortunately with the newer xfce, the selection of window
decorations themes has shrunk considerably; there are only 5-6 themes
included by default and kokodi is probably the nicest (Daloa is not that
bad either). Does anyone like the Default (grey) window decoration theme
better?

As for the icon theme, I'm completely open to suggestions. I like the one
we already have, but there are several very good looking icon themes out
there too. I'm not even sure if we should keep using a blue icon theme, or
switch to a different color.

Feel free to chime in...

Re: [Salix-main] Salix 14.2 artwork

ChuangTzu
Hi George,

Nice simple wallpaper!

What about greybird theme:
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/xfce-theme-greybird/  ?  Can be used
for widgets and windows.  I also like the current icon theme.

Regards.

George Vlahavas wrote:

> Considering the artwork for the next release, I think I like this one for
> the default wallpaper:
> http://people.salixos.org/gapan/artwork/blurry_blue_1920x1200.png
>
> It's definitely simpler than all previous ones... License is CC BY-NC-SA
> 3.0.
>
> Does anybody else have any objections or other suggestions?
>
> Also, what about the default icon theme, widget theme and window decorator
> theme?
>
> Until now we've been using this combination:
>
> - icon theme: mate-colors-brave
> - widgets: clearlooks-phenix
> - windows: kokodi
>
> however, clearlooks-phenix seems to have some problems with the newer GTK
> 3.18. Specifically, with abiword, the border around the page is black,
> which is totally wrong. There may of course be similar problems with other
> applications too. Now, the Adwaita theme doesn't seem to have any such
> problems, and it's also the theme that is included by default in the gtk
> packages, so it's definitely supported better. Keep in mind that we need a
> theme that works and looks the same in both GTK+2 and GTK+3 applications.
> It's a bonus if Qt applications can be made to look similar too. Adwaita
> has all that and I don't think it's bad...
>
> For the windows decorations, I'm suggesting to keep using the kokodi
> theme. Unfortunately with the newer xfce, the selection of window
> decorations themes has shrunk considerably; there are only 5-6 themes
> included by default and kokodi is probably the nicest (Daloa is not that
> bad either). Does anyone like the Default (grey) window decoration theme
> better?
>
> As for the icon theme, I'm completely open to suggestions. I like the one
> we already have, but there are several very good looking icon themes out
> there too. I'm not even sure if we should keep using a blue icon theme, or
> switch to a different color.
>
> Feel free to chime in...

Re: [Salix-main] Salix 14.2 artwork

Richard Lapointe
I like the simple look of the blue blurry wall paper. I usually end up
changing the wallpaper to a solid color, usually  a mid blue color so
this wallpaper fits my eye.  I agree that abiword looks awful with the
clearlooks-phenix widget theme. I fine with Adwaite. As for the windows
decorations, I prefer some contrast in color so themes like the gray
default don't appeal to me.  So I'm good with Kokodi.  As for the icon,
I'm easy I like the ones being used as default in 14.2

Rich Lapointe (laprjns)

On 04/07/2016 04:52 PM, George Vlahavas wrote:

> Considering the artwork for the next release, I think I like this one for
> the default wallpaper:
> http://people.salixos.org/gapan/artwork/blurry_blue_1920x1200.png
>
> It's definitely simpler than all previous ones... License is CC BY-NC-SA
> 3.0.
>
> Does anybody else have any objections or other suggestions?
>
> Also, what about the default icon theme, widget theme and window decorator
> theme?
>
> Until now we've been using this combination:
>
> - icon theme: mate-colors-brave
> - widgets: clearlooks-phenix
> - windows: kokodi
>
> however, clearlooks-phenix seems to have some problems with the newer GTK
> 3.18. Specifically, with abiword, the border around the page is black,
> which is totally wrong. There may of course be similar problems with other
> applications too. Now, the Adwaita theme doesn't seem to have any such
> problems, and it's also the theme that is included by default in the gtk
> packages, so it's definitely supported better. Keep in mind that we need a
> theme that works and looks the same in both GTK+2 and GTK+3 applications.
> It's a bonus if Qt applications can be made to look similar too. Adwaita
> has all that and I don't think it's bad...
>
> For the windows decorations, I'm suggesting to keep using the kokodi
> theme. Unfortunately with the newer xfce, the selection of window
> decorations themes has shrunk considerably; there are only 5-6 themes
> included by default and kokodi is probably the nicest (Daloa is not that
> bad either). Does anyone like the Default (grey) window decoration theme
> better?
>
> As for the icon theme, I'm completely open to suggestions. I like the one
> we already have, but there are several very good looking icon themes out
> there too. I'm not even sure if we should keep using a blue icon theme, or
> switch to a different color.
>
> Feel free to chime in...

Re: [Salix-main] Salix 14.2 artwork

Tim Beech
I like it aesthetically, though I do slightly miss an element of Salix "branding".

Max

Re: [Salix-main] Salix 14.2 artwork

Max
Here's one with a rather obvious branding element:

http://s28.postimg.org/c6zgd7xzx/blurry_blue_1920x1200_branded.png

I'm sure someone with better taste could make something more pleasing ;-)

Max

On 08/04/16 16:55, Tim Beech wrote:
I like it aesthetically, though I do slightly miss an element of Salix "branding".

On 8 April 2016 at 01:29, Richard Lapointe <[hidden email]> wrote:
I like the simple look of the blue blurry wall paper. I usually end up
changing the wallpaper to a solid color, usually  a mid blue color so
this wallpaper fits my eye.  I agree that abiword looks awful with the
clearlooks-phenix widget theme. I fine with Adwaite. As for the windows
decorations, I prefer some contrast in color so themes like the gray
default don't appeal to me.  So I'm good with Kokodi.  As for the icon,
I'm easy I like the ones being used as default in 14.2

Rich Lapointe (laprjns)

On 04/07/2016 04:52 PM, George Vlahavas wrote:
> Considering the artwork for the next release, I think I like this one for
> the default wallpaper:
> http://people.salixos.org/gapan/artwork/blurry_blue_1920x1200.png
>
> It's definitely simpler than all previous ones... License is CC BY-NC-SA
> 3.0.
>
> Does anybody else have any objections or other suggestions?
>
> Also, what about the default icon theme, widget theme and window decorator
> theme?
>
> Until now we've been using this combination:
>
> - icon theme: mate-colors-brave
> - widgets: clearlooks-phenix
> - windows: kokodi
>
> however, clearlooks-phenix seems to have some problems with the newer GTK
> 3.18. Specifically, with abiword, the border around the page is black,
> which is totally wrong. There may of course be similar problems with other
> applications too. Now, the Adwaita theme doesn't seem to have any such
> problems, and it's also the theme that is included by default in the gtk
> packages, so it's definitely supported better. Keep in mind that we need a
> theme that works and looks the same in both GTK+2 and GTK+3 applications.
> It's a bonus if Qt applications can be made to look similar too. Adwaita
> has all that and I don't think it's bad...
>
> For the windows decorations, I'm suggesting to keep using the kokodi
> theme. Unfortunately with the newer xfce, the selection of window
> decorations themes has shrunk considerably; there are only 5-6 themes
> included by default and kokodi is probably the nicest (Daloa is not that
> bad either). Does anyone like the Default (grey) window decoration theme
> better?
>
> As for the icon theme, I'm completely open to suggestions. I like the one
> we already have, but there are several very good looking icon themes out
> there too. I'm not even sure if we should keep using a blue icon theme, or
> switch to a different color.
>
> Feel free to chime in...

Re: [Salix-main] Salix 14.2 artwork

George Vlahavas
Hah, yes. Maybe it would be more subtle if the logo was in the lower right
corner, and smaller.

BTW, I have a significantly bigger version of that, that would be more
suitable for editing (and shrinking at the end). Something like 5000x3000
pixels, if anyone wants it.

But does anyone else think that we should have the wallpaper branded?

On Fri, 8 Apr 2016, Max wrote:

> [...]
>>     > has all that and I don't think it's bad...
>>     >
>>     > For the windows decorations, I'm suggesting to keep using the kokodi
>>     > theme. Unfortunately with the newer xfce, the selection of window
>>     > decorations themes has shrunk considerably; there are only 5-6
>>     themes
>>     > included by default and kokodi is probably the nicest (Daloa is
>>     not that
>>     > bad either). Does anyone like the Default (grey) window
>>     decoration theme
>>     > better?
>>     >
>>     > As for the icon theme, I'm completely open to suggestions. I
>>     like the one
>>     > we already have, but there are several very good looking icon
>>     themes out
>>     > there too. I'm not even sure if we should keep using a blue icon

If you look at Distrowatch, the large majority of the distributions have
branded wallpaper and most of them are very subtle. So yes I think
having a default wallpaper with the Salix branding in the lower right
hand corner would be good.

Rich Lapointe

On 04/08/2016 05:57 PM, George Vlahavas wrote:

> [...]
>>>      > has all that and I don't think it's bad...
>>>      >
>>>      > For the windows decorations, I'm suggesting to keep using the kokodi
>>>      > theme. Unfortunately with the newer xfce, the selection of window
>>>      > decorations themes has shrunk considerably; there are only 5-6
>>>      themes
>>>      > included by default and kokodi is probably the nicest (Daloa is
>>>      not that
>>>      > bad either). Does anyone like the Default (grey) window
>>>      decoration theme
>>>      > better?
>>>      >
>>>      > As for the icon theme, I'm completely open to suggestions. I
>>>      like the one
>>>      > we already have, but there are several very good looking icon
>>>      themes out
>>>      > there too. I'm not even sure if we should keep using a blue icon

tsuren Tsuchiya
I think a bit of Salix branding (a subtle one) would be good. And also for screenshots of the default desktop, like this, you can see clearly which distro it is.
tsuren

> To: [hidden email]

> From: [hidden email]
> Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2016 06:39:32 -0400
> Subject: Re: [Salix-main] Salix 14.2 artwork
>
> If you look at Distrowatch, the large majority of the distributions have
> branded wallpaper and most of them are very subtle. So yes I think
> having a default wallpaper with the Salix branding in the lower right
> hand corner would be good.
>
> Rich Lapointe
>
> On 04/08/2016 05:57 PM, George Vlahavas wrote:
> > Hah, yes. Maybe it would be more subtle if the logo was in the lower right
> > corner, and smaller.
> >
> > BTW, I have a significantly bigger version of that, that would be more
> > suitable for editing (and shrinking at the end). Something like 5000x3000
> > pixels, if anyone wants it.
> >
> > But does anyone else think that we should have the wallpaper branded?
> >
> > On Fri, 8 Apr 2016, Max wrote:
> >
> >> Here's one with a rather obvious branding element:
> >>
> >> http://s28.postimg.org/c6zgd7xzx/blurry_blue_1920x1200_branded.png
> >>
> >> I'm sure someone with better taste could make something more pleasing ;-)
> >>
> >> Max

Re: [Salix-main] Salix 14.2 artwork

OK, so this is the largest version I have:
http://people.salixos.org/gapan/artwork/blurry_blue_5120x3200.png

Max, can you add the logo on the lower right? It shouldn't be too big and
it should allow some space for a double-sized taskbar at least.

We can then shrink it to the size we want to include. Until now the
largest size we used was 1920x1200. Should we increase that size or is it
OK? Do people generally have larger monitors than that?

On Sat, 9 Apr 2016, Richard Lapointe wrote:

> If you look at Distrowatch, the large majority of the distributions have
> branded wallpaper and most of them are very subtle. So yes I think
> having a default wallpaper with the Salix branding in the lower right
> hand corner would be good.
>
> Rich Lapointe
>
> On 04/08/2016 05:57 PM, George Vlahavas wrote:
>> Hah, yes. Maybe it would be more subtle if the logo was in the lower right
>> corner, and smaller.
>>
>> BTW, I have a significantly bigger version of that, that would be more
>> suitable for editing (and shrinking at the end). Something like 5000x3000
>> pixels, if anyone wants it.
>>
>> But does anyone else think that we should have the wallpaper branded?
>>
>> On Fri, 8 Apr 2016, Max wrote:
>>
>>> Here's one with a rather obvious branding element:
>>>
>>> http://s28.postimg.org/c6zgd7xzx/blurry_blue_1920x1200_branded.png
>>>
>>> I'm sure someone with better taste could make something more pleasing ;-)
>>>
>>> Max

Re: [Salix-main] Salix 14.2 artwork

Thorsten M.-2
Am 17.04.2016 13:03 schrieb George Vlahavas:
> We can then shrink it to the size we want to include. Until now the
> largest size we used was 1920x1200. Should we increase that size or is
> it
> OK? Do people generally have larger monitors than that?

IMHO the size should be increased. Nowadays 2560x1440 monitors start at
~250 € only.

Re: [Salix-main] Salix 14.2 artwork

Alejandro Simón
  Hi!
I thought it was time to create a text-logo to add to the leaf-logo.
View proposalsin:
http://www.aleximon.com.ar/imagenes/Salix_logos/SalixLogo.png
http://www.aleximon.com.ar/imagenes/Salix_logos/SalixLogo_Light.png

There are wallpaper thumbnails too:
http://www.aleximon.com.ar/imagenes/Salix_logos/blurry_blue_Salix_mini.PNG
http://www.aleximon.com.ar/imagenes/Salix_logos/blurry_blue_Salix2_mini.PNG
http://www.aleximon.com.ar/imagenes/Salix_logos/Gray_Salix_mini.PNG
http://www.aleximon.com.ar/imagenes/Salix_logos/Red_Salix_mini.PNG

You can view and download normal size wallpapers(~10 MB each file) from:
http://www.aleximon.com.ar/imagenes

If you like the proposed logos, I can send .svg versions.

Alejandro Simón
aleXimon

Max

Re: [Salix-main] Salix 14.2 artwork

Max
Sorry, been away for a couple of days. Yep, I'll fix that!

Max

Re: [Salix-main] Salix 14.2 artwork

Max
Nice! Thanks :-)

Max

Re: [Salix-main] Salix 14.2 artwork

Max
How does this look?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5owuLidGEAmNlRET2FuZ192Nzg/view?usp=sharing

On 17/04/16 13:03, George Vlahavas wrote:

> OK, so this is the largest version I have:
> http://people.salixos.org/gapan/artwork/blurry_blue_5120x3200.png
>
> Max, can you add the logo on the lower right? It shouldn't be too big and
> it should allow some space for a double-sized taskbar at least.
>
> We can then shrink it to the size we want to include. Until now the
> largest size we used was 1920x1200. Should we increase that size or is it
> OK? Do people generally have larger monitors than that?
>
> On Sat, 9 Apr 2016, Richard Lapointe wrote:
>
>> If you look at Distrowatch, the large majority of the distributions have
>> branded wallpaper and most of them are very subtle. So yes I think
>> having a default wallpaper with the Salix branding in the lower right
>> hand corner would be good.
>>
>> Rich Lapointe

Re: [Salix-main] Salix 14.2 artwork

George Vlahavas
Great! Thanks Max!

On Wed, 20 Apr 2016, Max wrote:

> How does this look?
>
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5owuLidGEAmNlRET2FuZ192Nzg/view?usp=sharing
>
> On 17/04/16 13:03, George Vlahavas wrote:
>> OK, so this is the largest version I have:
>> http://people.salixos.org/gapan/artwork/blurry_blue_5120x3200.png
>>
>> Max, can you add the logo on the lower right? It shouldn't be too big and
>> it should allow some space for a double-sized taskbar at least.
>>
>> We can then shrink it to the size we want to include. Until now the
>> largest size we used was 1920x1200. Should we increase that size or is it
>> OK? Do people generally have larger monitors than that?
>>
>> On Sat, 9 Apr 2016, Richard Lapointe wrote:
>>
>>> If you look at Distrowatch, the large majority of the distributions have
>>> branded wallpaper and most of them are very subtle. So yes I think
>>> having a default wallpaper with the Salix branding in the lower right
>>> hand corner would be good.
>>>
>>> Rich Lapointe

Re: [Salix-main] Salix 14.2 artwork

I have to say these are very nice! Thank you! Now we have a few to choose
from for 14.2.

And yes please, svg versions of the logos would be great.

On Tue, 19 Apr 2016, Alejandro Simón wrote:

>  Hi!
> I thought it was time to create a text-logo to add to the leaf-logo.
> View proposalsin:
> http://www.aleximon.com.ar/imagenes/Salix_logos/SalixLogo.png
> http://www.aleximon.com.ar/imagenes/Salix_logos/SalixLogo_Light.png
>
> There are wallpaper thumbnails too:
> http://www.aleximon.com.ar/imagenes/Salix_logos/blurry_blue_Salix_mini.PNG
> http://www.aleximon.com.ar/imagenes/Salix_logos/blurry_blue_Salix2_mini.PNG
> http://www.aleximon.com.ar/imagenes/Salix_logos/Gray_Salix_mini.PNG
> http://www.aleximon.com.ar/imagenes/Salix_logos/Red_Salix_mini.PNG
>

> You can view and download normal size wallpapers(~10 MB each file) from:
> http://www.aleximon.com.ar/imagenes
>
> If you like the proposed logos, I can send .svg versions.
>
> Alejandro Simón
> aleXimon
>>
>> --- El 17/04/16 a las 11:10, Thorsten M. escribió: ---
>>> IMHO the size should be increased. Nowadays 2560x1440 monitors start at
>>> ~250 € only.

Re: [Salix-main] Salix 14.2 artwork

Alejandro Simón
I'm very happy that you liked my designs.

The .svg versions of the new logo are in:
http://www.aleximon.com.ar/imagenes/Salix_logos/Salix_logo.svg

Screenshot - 04212016 - 05:26:19 AM.png (1M) Download Attachment

Re: [Salix-main] Salix 14.2 artwork

George Vlahavas
Right. Also, the KDE taskbar is almost double the size of the Xfce taskbar
by default, so we'll have to be ready for that too.

On Thu, 21 Apr 2016, Richard Lapointe wrote:

> These look great.  One thing though, on the ones with the branding in the
> lower right hand corner, the brand needs to be move up higher.  I'm using
> Xfce with a single menu bar down at the bottom and the bar does slightly
> covers the brand. I have attached a screen shot. I believe that George
> suggested that the branding be move up high enough so that there could be a
> double menu bar without the brand being covers
>

> On 04/20/2016 01:57 PM, George Vlahavas wrote:
>> I have to say these are very nice! Thank you! Now we have a few to choose
>> from for 14.2.
>>
>> And yes please, svg versions of the logos would be great.
>>
>> On Tue, 19 Apr 2016, Alejandro Simón wrote:
>>
>>>  Hi!
>>> I thought it was time to create a text-logo to add to the leaf-logo.
>>> View proposalsin:
>>> http://www.aleximon.com.ar/imagenes/Salix_logos/SalixLogo.png
>>> http://www.aleximon.com.ar/imagenes/Salix_logos/SalixLogo_Light.png
>>>
>>> There are wallpaper thumbnails too:
>>> http://www.aleximon.com.ar/imagenes/Salix_logos/blurry_blue_Salix_mini.PNG
>>> http://www.aleximon.com.ar/imagenes/Salix_logos/blurry_blue_Salix2_mini.PNG
>>> http://www.aleximon.com.ar/imagenes/Salix_logos/Gray_Salix_mini.PNG
>>> http://www.aleximon.com.ar/imagenes/Salix_logos/Red_Salix_mini.PNG
>>>

>>> You can view and download normal size wallpapers(~10 MB each file) from:
>>> http://www.aleximon.com.ar/imagenes
>>>
>>> If you like the proposed logos, I can send .svg versions.
>>>
>>> Alejandro Simón
>>> aleXimon

Re: [Salix-main] Salix 14.2 artwork

Alejandro Simón

Hello.

New versions are in:

http://www.aleximon.com.ar/imagenes/blurry_blue_Salix3.png

http://www.aleximon.com.ar/imagenes/Salix_Wallpaper.png

Please, try them...

--- El 21/04/16 a las 10:10, George Vlahavas escribió: ---
[...]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Find and fix application performance issues faster with Applications Manager
reduces your MTTR. Get your free trial!