[Salix-main] Re : Re: salix or slackel, that is the question

12

[Salix-main] Re : Re: salix or slackel, that is the question

Pierrick Le Brun
It's an ecosystem, everybody profits from everybody. Slackel benefits from Salix which benefits from Slackware which benefits from Salix which benefits from Slackel.

Most misunderstanding usually stems from lack of communication but alas we all have been too busy in spite of our good intentions (me in the first place!) to be able to communicate more.

So in a way it's good to bring this up because it will lead to more communication which in the end will show that we are really all in this together.

Pierrick

Envoyé depuis mon Sony Ericsson Xperia pro

Dimitris Tzemos <[hidden email]> a écrit :

hi fredg.

It is known that slackel depends on Slackware and Salix. It is written here http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=slackel

and on Slackel web page it is clearly shown on top.

About the release Announcement in distrowatch i just send the link on distrowatch. I did not write the announcemment.

Furthermore it is quite clear in slackel web page ( I add more clear details on slackel openbox page announcement and i do it in bold in the next releases. If this has to be clear to all. Slackel is based on Slackware and Salix. It uses the excelent Salix tools and Salix packages. Many thanks to Salix team for this great work of developing.)

Slackel is based on current branch of slackware. And it is not against Salix. I am sorry if anyone ( i dont mean you) thought so.

Last 2-3 (maybe more) months i packaged so many packages needed for openbox edition. And others too needed for Salix KDE.

First i put them on salix package submission. Also a salix-14.0-openbox-edition iso came out and it is here. Before this a salix-14.0-KDEbeta1 iso is announced also.

I do not take the decisions to release a salix edition because i am not alone, we are a team. Gapan, timcow, zachary, Jrd knew about the link.

It is here http://www.slackel.gr/isos/openbox/salix-openbox-14.0beta1.iso

http://www.slackel.gr/isos/openbox/salix-openbox-14.0beta1.iso.md5

Date is 22-Dec-2012

In Slackel if i release somehting which is not really good or ready it is my fault. I cannot take the responsibillity for salix to release a beta or a rc when other team members will not know and agree with it. They can say, it is not ready yet.

Slackel which is based on current brunch is more like a testing thing, while Salix is stable for using it for everyday work.

If for any reason it is not made clear that Slackel uses Salix tools and packages, I apologise.

I first made a salix-beta1 edition. If it is not announced in public, It is not my fault.

Dimitris

Στις Κυρ 13 Ιαν 2013 21:05:46 Frédéric Galusik έγραψε:

> Hi,

> I have just read at distrowatch that a new slackel release is out.

> http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=07663

> Good, congrats to djemos.

> But I find that it is not very fair that there isn't any mention to

> Salix in the announcement whereas I am pretty sure that gapan , I and

> others have checked djemos packages which are used in this slackel

> release and maybe there are some salix tools and salix packages too.

> I know that it is written in the slackel main website that slackel is

> based on slackware and salix, but in a release announcement like this

> one, it is not very clear, and many of the distrowatch readers will

> not even thought about Salix.

> Just my 2 cents.

> Cheers.

> fredg

Re: [Salix-main] Re : Re: salix or slackel, that is the question

George Vlahavas
I'm sure there was no harm intended on any side.

To be honest, I don't really care if salix was mentioned or not. If
anything, we're making everything in salix publicly available so that
other people can use it. No reason to complain when they actually do.
There have been other cases where salix packages have been used in
other distributions, sometimes without a mention (slacko puppy is one
example). I really don't mind.

djemos has done a lot of work for salix. He's the most prominent
packager in salix right now (after myself). And I at least am very
thankful for that (as I am for any other contribution). I'm sure that
djemos would have made a salix openbox release before a slackel
openbox release, if I had found the time to check his work, but I
haven't.

On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 10:23 AM, Pierrick Le Brun <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>
>> Hi,
>

>> I have just read at distrowatch that a new slackel release is out.
>
>> http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=07663
>

>> Good, congrats to djemos.
>

>> But I find that it is not very fair that there isn't any mention to
>
>> Salix in the announcement whereas I am pretty sure that gapan , I and
>
>> others have checked djemos packages which are used in this slackel
>
>> release and maybe there are some salix tools and salix packages too.
>

>> I know that it is written in the slackel main website that slackel is
>
>> based on slackware and salix, but in a release announcement like this
>
>> one, it is not very clear, and many of the distrowatch readers will
>
>> not even thought about Salix.
>

>> Just my 2 cents.
>

>> Cheers.
>

>> fredg

Re: [Salix-main] Re : Re: salix or slackel, that is the question

Dimitris Tzemos
I agree with Pierrick that It's an ecosystem, everybody profits from
everybody.
And i am sure also, as gapan wrote, that there was no harm
intended on any side.

We belong to a team and we all target to same scope, working for Salix
to be more and more better, without having to earn something other than
fun and love for Linux and Open source.

As of my part to not mention Salix it was against myself
since i made a lot of packages for salix. It is not logical to have any
intension to myself. So this is not about it.

Noone answered the Fred's question Slackel or Salix.
Because noone can answered, except me, i develop Slackel.

Always talk from my heart, I am always talking straight and honest to
people.
Fred is absolutely right. The truth is that he is the second person who
made this question, the first is myself a long time ago.

So i have to answer to this question, Slackel or Salix, publicly.

Slackel exists before Salix appear.

One day i met gapan online and told him congratulations about salix.
So i met you all and liked your team, build packages in the start with
the help of gapan or translating the Salix guide in Greek and later
made Salix KDE edition with your help as a whole team.
Before to met you i was developing Slackel using my own type
of developing. No SLKBUILDS i did not know anything about them. Gapan
told me. I did not know how to make a repository, gapan told me how to
do it.
I used the slackware way of packages or slackbuild.org packages.
But even with this way Slackel was good at least to myself.

I made this question to myself, Slackel or Salix, when i made the
Salix KDE edition with the help of the salix team.

I did not understand that this decision was really the death of
Slackel. So i had to burried Slackel and work for Salix.
Or to stop working for Salix and developing Slackel as it was before
Salix appears. A real delima because i love both.

One day, because i like to use the latest programs and latest
slackware kernels, testing new things, i saw that both could exist.

The answer to myself i gave then to this question, Slackel or Salix, it
was BOTH. One it is not against the other.
Slackel could follow the current branch of Slackware and it will be a
testing enviroment while Salix follow the stable branch of slackware.

Salix-14.0-KDE beta1 edition, it is really ready
since users did not report any problems except a forgotten firefox icon.
Or maybe it is not ready and users don't use salix KDE anymore so they
did not report bugs.
If they have tested it and did not report any bugs then it was well
tested on Slackel's current branch releases. So it is good for Salix
also to exist a testing enviroment.

Now, Why i made the decision to work on a Salix Openbox edition?
I really had no intension to spend a lot of time of my free time to
make an openbox edition.

People from USA asked for an openbox
slackware edition which follows the current brunch of Slackware and
work on old pc's. This could not be in salix since it follows the
stable tree.

Another reason for that is that in the laboratory at my school
i have a P4 and two other more new PC's only.
Since there are no money for buying new pc's for schools (i need 8 more
at least) and because it is more easy to find old low memory pc's which
people will put them on garbage, for free, an openbox edition it will be
useful to students. I just want to use them to PLC
(Programmable Logic Controlers).
The program uses java to program them. And 256B is OK. It uses its own
java. And also they can have internet, office, etc.

I found this a good idea and also i saw that there was no openbox Salix
edition. So could have a stable Salix edition and a current Slackel
openbox edition. That was the idea of making an openbox edition.

But because always people will make this question Slackel or Salix. It
is the truth and i dont want any harm for Salix, in the next Slackel KDE
current brunch release, i could turn slackel as it was in the start.
No salix tools or packages.

And of cource i will continue to work for Salix also.

friendly

Dimitris

On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 14:08:13 +0200
George Vlahavas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >

> >> Good, congrats to djemos.
> >

> >> But I find that it is not very fair that there isn't any mention to
> >
> >> Salix in the announcement whereas I am pretty sure that gapan , I
> >> and
> >
> >> others have checked djemos packages which are used in this slackel
> >
> >> release and maybe there are some salix tools and salix packages
> >> too.
> >

> >> I know that it is written in the slackel main website that slackel
> >> is
> >
> >> based on slackware and salix, but in a release announcement like
> >> this
> >
> >> one, it is not very clear, and many of the distrowatch readers will
> >
> >> not even thought about Salix.
> >

> >> Just my 2 cents.
> >

> >> Cheers.
> >

> >> fredg

Re: [Salix-main] Re : Re: salix or slackel, that is the question

Frédéric Galusik
It's good when things are said.
I have understood the purpose of the slakel-kde release, now I
understand the openbox one ;)

We have checked your openbox packages and we/I have thought that it
was for a salix release, so I was a bit surprised to see a slackel
one.
As akuna said, it was just a lack of communications.

Else, it's a pity that your work for a Salix openbox beta release has
not been made public. I think that the work worth the public
announcement and if you are not sure, just call it alpha ;), and if
you are not very very sure just ask to *everybody* on the ML ;).

So, don't misunderstand me, I appreciate your work for both salix and
slackel, I think it's just better for a team if communications are as
open as the sources are ;)

Best regards.

Fred.

2013/1/14 Dimitris Tzemos <[hidden email]>:

> [...]
>> >
>> > It is here
>> > http://www.slackel.gr/isos/openbox/salix-openbox-14.0beta1.iso
>> >
>> > http://www.slackel.gr/isos/openbox/salix-openbox-14.0beta1.iso.md5
>> >
>> > Date is 22-Dec-2012
>> >

>> > In Slackel if i release somehting which is not really good or ready
>> > it is my fault. I cannot take the responsibillity for salix to
>> > release a beta or a rc when other team members will not know and
>> > agree with it. They can say, it is not ready yet.
>> >

>> > Slackel which is based on current brunch is more like a testing
>> > thing, while Salix is stable for using it for everyday work.
>> >

>> > If for any reason it is not made clear that Slackel uses Salix
>> > tools and packages, I apologise.
>> >
>> > I first made a salix-beta1 edition. If it is not announced in
>> > public, It is not my fault.
>> >

>> > Dimitris
>> >

>> > Στις Κυρ 13 Ιαν 2013 21:05:46 Frédéric Galusik έγραψε:

Google+: https://plus.google.com/108565419331171281999
GPG ID: 2E31334B

Re: [Salix-main] Re : Re: salix or slackel, that is the question

Dimitris Tzemos
It is also good to me that things are said and it is clear now.
Always it is good to communicate.
I never misunderstand you. I am also thankful to you for checked my packages
and also to gapan and JRD, i am sorry if i forget someone else to mention
here.

Making the final release for slackel current openbox i found some minor changes
to make for midori and xdg-open.
On openbox, xdg-open does not pick midori. It is not exist on xdg-open. Using
BROWSER=midori has not work on all situations. e.g. running "Manage Printing"
(/usr/share/applications/cups.desktop) from menus
 Exec=/usr/bin/xdg-open http://localhost:631/

If i add midori on line 529 of /usr/bin/xdg-open
BROWSER=firefox:mozilla:epiphany:konqueror:chromium-browser:google-chrome:
$BROWSER
it works fine.
So line has to be changed using sed command to
BROWSER=firefox:mozilla:epiphany:konqueror:chromium-browser:google-
chrome:midori:$BROWSER

This can be done on zzz-settings-openbox package using sed command.
I am not a specialist on sed and triyng to do it change other lines also. Any
help how to do it it is appreciated. Only this line has to be change. Or if it
is another way. I dont know.
On slackel i changed the menus. using midori url.
This cannot be done on salix because salix is a stable release and have so
many editions, i propose to
do it with sed command
so it will work on all editions if someone use salix-openbox and later install
xfce on top of it for example.

So a salix-beta openbox it will be ready soon for public.

Best regards
Dimitris

Στις Δευ 14 Ιαν 2013 18:49:13 Frédéric Galusik έγραψε:

On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 5:56 PM, Dimitris Tzemos <[hidden email]> wrote:

> But because always people will make this question Slackel or Salix. It
> is the truth and i dont want any harm for Salix, in the next Slackel KDE
> current brunch release, i could turn slackel as it was in the start.
> No salix tools or packages.

No please don't do that. That would be bad for both salix and slackel.

Re: [Salix-main] Re : Re: salix or slackel, that is the question

Andreas Born
Am 14.01.2013 19:49, schrieb Dimitris Tzemos:
> Making the final release for slackel current openbox i found some minor changes
> to make for midori and xdg-open.
> On openbox, xdg-open does not pick midori. It is not exist on xdg-open. Using
> BROWSER=midori has not work on all situations. e.g. running "Manage Printing"
> (/usr/share/applications/cups.desktop) from menus
>   Exec=/usr/bin/xdg-open http://localhost:631/
Maybe it needs to be set earlier? .xinitrc before openbox-session? Or
the environment is just lost somewhere.

> If i add midori on line 529 of /usr/bin/xdg-open
> BROWSER=firefox:mozilla:epiphany:konqueror:chromium-browser:google-chrome:
> $BROWSER
> it works fine.
> So line has to be changed using sed command to
> BROWSER=firefox:mozilla:epiphany:konqueror:chromium-browser:google-
> chrome:midori:$BROWSER
>
> This can be done on zzz-settings-openbox package using sed command.
For such a static change a patch created with diff is probably the
easier and safer alternative. Patches are only not applicable to dynamic
changes like putting the package version somewhere or changing source
file in a very small manner regardless of upstream changes.
Why zzz-settings-openbox? xdg-open is from xdg-utils here.
> So a salix-beta openbox it will be ready soon for public.
Great! i'm almost exclusively using openbox for it's simplicity and
configurability. Maybe I get a chance to try it out. It probably makes
my usual installation procedure much easier.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: [Salix-main] Re : Re: salix or slackel, that is the question

Cyrille Pontvieux
Hi all :)

Well, about all what have been said, I also think communication is a
great thing.
But whereas I'm very locace when you meet me (George, Pierrick, Fred
and Tomoki can confirm), I'm very shy to talk on a ML, and using a fix
form like an email is hard for me, because I cannot correct myself if
someone misundertsood something I wrote.

For exemple, I was too shy to post the Salix Live Xfce 14.0 32 bits
Alpha on the ML. I thought that it's not ready yet, and I think that
everybody can read the ML and not only the Salix team. But maybe it does
not matter.

Well maybe it's time to put it nevertheless:

http://enialis.net/~jrd/salix/salixlive/.intern/salixlive-xfce-14.0-32-alpha.iso

http://enialis.net/~jrd/salix/salixlive/.intern/salixlive-xfce-14.0-32-alpha.iso.md5

So what are the changes and additions in this release:
   - new SaLT system, with new grub2 menu.
     * debug improvements with SaLT
     * timezones
     * grub2 menu string translations (using gettextvar new grub2
command I wrote)
     * full rewrite of "generate", while still sticking to Python.
     * improve installing on USB from Windows Vista+ (but the script
install-on-USB.cmd included in the iso is still buggy, please get the
one from git)
     * some SaLT improvements and fixes (new busybox, lsof available,
better chrooting, …)
   - timezones! (For now, UTC is stored in HardwareClock, I may change
it to localtime later for better compatibility with Windows (damn
fucking idiot system)).
   - All software of Salix 14.0 Xfce
What are not included:
   - Salix-live-installer: need to be rewritten, with the help of Fred
and Akuna
   - Lilo-setup: need to be rewritten, with the help of Fred and Akuna
   - Live-clone: need to be rewritten, with the help of Fred and Akuna
   - Upgraded documentation. This is still 13.37 documentation.
   - Upgraded gdm package with upgraded themes. I wait for gapan to
upgrade the package.

So feel free to test it.
You can find more information and the sources on my github account.

About midori, there is also a bug in the "htmlview" link in a package
(I don't reckon which one). I think gapan may know which one.

Well see you later folks :-)

--
Cyrille Pontvieux - JRD

P.S. Sorry for not having tested earlier your openbox edition djemos…

Re: [Salix-main] Re : Re: salix or slackel, that is the question

jayseye
@Dimitris: To echo gapan's reply, and as one of the people from USA
who requested a Slackel "lite," I sincerely hope that you will
continue to use Salix as a base. That certainly strengthens both
projects.

@Cyrille: Thank you for the work on Live, I will definitely download
and test it.

Regards,
jayseye

On 1/14/13, George Vlahavas <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 5:56 PM, Dimitris Tzemos <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> But because always people will make this question Slackel or Salix. It
>> is the truth and i dont want any harm for Salix, in the next Slackel KDE
>> current brunch release, i could turn slackel as it was in the start.
>> No salix tools or packages.
>
> No please don't do that. That would be bad for both salix and slackel.

Re: [Salix-main] Re : Re: salix or slackel, that is the question

Tim Beech
 I sincerely hope that you will
> continue to use Salix as a base. That certainly strengthens both
> projects.

+1

> @Cyrille: Thank you for the work on Live, I will definitely download
> and test it.

+1

The very convenience (and rapidity) of email & co creates
opportunities for misunderstanding; on the other hand the non-verbal
cues of a real conversation aren't there to correct this.

Re: [Salix-main] Re : Re: salix or slackel, that is the question

Dimitris Tzemos
JRD, about salix-live-xfce-14.0. I made some tests.

On virtualbox cd boots fine.
1. In kernel parameters backspace key do not work if i type something wrong
cant correct it. I have to go out and start again.

2.A package is missing pysimpleconfig so i had to install it to run salix-
codecs-installer.

3. Pitivi cant close from file->close only with click on pitivi window (the X
on the right up corner) This has to do with the package and not the livecd.

4. File manager is working fine, nerwork and samba shares is working but trying
to play a mp3 in a samba share with parole or exaile, i did not had any sound.
It could not play.
Then i download whaawmp from repos and whaawmp play the file from samba share.

copying file locally mp3 play fine with both parole and exaile.
Then i download whaawmp from repos and whaawmp play the file from samba share.
Other  applications like midori, libreoffice, viewnor, gimp etc to not mention
all here work ok.

This for running salix-live-xfce on VirtualBox.

I will burn and test on a real livecd. I just wrote these here to not forget
them later. I am on virtual box now.

Why lilo-setup, live-installer etc dont work? I think they worked fine on last
salt.

As always you did a great job. SalT are excellent.

Dimitris

Στις Τρι 15 Ιαν 2013 01:50:36 Cyrille Pontvieux έγραψε:

> Hi all :)
>
> Well, about all what have been said, I also think communication is a
> great thing.
> But whereas I'm very locace when you meet me (George, Pierrick, Fred
> and Tomoki can confirm), I'm very shy to talk on a ML, and using a fix
> form like an email is hard for me, because I cannot correct myself if
> someone misundertsood something I wrote.
>
> For exemple, I was too shy to post the Salix Live Xfce 14.0 32 bits
> Alpha on the ML. I thought that it's not ready yet, and I think that
> everybody can read the ML and not only the Salix team. But maybe it does
> not matter.
>
> Well maybe it's time to put it nevertheless:
>
> http://enialis.net/~jrd/salix/salixlive/.intern/salixlive-xfce-14.0-32-alpha
> .iso
>
> http://enialis.net/~jrd/salix/salixlive/.intern/salixlive-xfce-14.0-32-alpha
> .iso.md5
>
> So what are the changes and additions in this release:
>    - new SaLT system, with new grub2 menu.
>      * debug improvements with SaLT
>      * timezones
>      * grub2 menu string translations (using gettextvar new grub2
> command I wrote)
>      * full rewrite of "generate", while still sticking to Python.
>      * improve installing on USB from Windows Vista+ (but the script
> install-on-USB.cmd included in the iso is still buggy, please get the
> one from git)
>      * some SaLT improvements and fixes (new busybox, lsof available,
> better chrooting, …)
>    - timezones! (For now, UTC is stored in HardwareClock, I may change
> it to localtime later for better compatibility with Windows (damn
> fucking idiot system)).
>    - All software of Salix 14.0 Xfce
> What are not included:
>    - Salix-live-installer: need to be rewritten, with the help of Fred
> and Akuna
>    - Lilo-setup: need to be rewritten, with the help of Fred and Akuna
>    - Live-clone: need to be rewritten, with the help of Fred and Akuna
>    - Upgraded documentation. This is still 13.37 documentation.
>    - Upgraded gdm package with upgraded themes. I wait for gapan to
> upgrade the package.
>
> So feel free to test it.
> You can find more information and the sources on my github account.
>
> About midori, there is also a bug in the "htmlview" link in a package
> (I don't reckon which one). I think gapan may know which one.
>
> Well see you later folks :-)

Re: [Salix-main] Re : Re: salix or slackel, that is the question

Dimitris Tzemos
I tried everything the only solution which also does not do any harm to any
flaor of salix is to add on doinst() {}
of zzz-settings-openbox the sed command (finally i make it work :-) it is
tested and works fine on salix-openbox.
this is

doinst(){
sed -i "s/BROWSER=firefox:mozilla:epiphany:konqueror:chromium-browser:google-
chrome:\$BROWSER/BROWSER=firefox:mozilla:epiphany:konqueror:chromium-
browser:google-chrome:midori:\$BROWSER/" /usr/bin/xdg-open
}

It was the missing "\" before of $BROWSER

The whole SLKBUILD
#Maintainer: Dimitris Tzemos <djemos~at~slackel~dot~gr>

pkgname=zzz-settings-openbox
pkgver=14.0
pkgrel=1dj
arch=noarch
options=('noautodotnew')

slackdesc=\
(
#|-----handy-ruler------------------------------------------------------|
"zzz-settings-openbox (provides system wide fixes for openbox)"
"This package provides fixes for some packages and default settings for"
"others. It can safely be removed after installation, but it should"
"never be installed or upgraded by the user, or it might change some"
"default system settings."
)

build() {
        mkdir -p $startdir/pkg/etc/
        echo  "salix.example.net" > $startdir/pkg/etc/HOSTNAME
                chown -R root:root $startdir/pkg
}

doinst(){
sed -i "s/BROWSER=firefox:mozilla:epiphany:konqueror:chromium-browser:google-
chrome:\$BROWSER/BROWSER=firefox:mozilla:epiphany:konqueror:chromium-
browser:google-chrome:midori:\$BROWSER/" /usr/bin/xdg-open
}

Στις Δευ 14 Ιαν 2013 23:39:28 Andreas Born έγραψε:

> Am 14.01.2013 19:49, schrieb Dimitris Tzemos:
> > Making the final release for slackel current openbox i found some minor
> > changes to make for midori and xdg-open.
> > On openbox, xdg-open does not pick midori. It is not exist on xdg-open.
> > Using BROWSER=midori has not work on all situations. e.g. running "Manage
> > Printing" (/usr/share/applications/cups.desktop) from menus
> >
> >   Exec=/usr/bin/xdg-open http://localhost:631/
>
> Maybe it needs to be set earlier? .xinitrc before openbox-session? Or
> the environment is just lost somewhere.
>
> > If i add midori on line 529 of /usr/bin/xdg-open
> > BROWSER=firefox:mozilla:epiphany:konqueror:chromium-browser:google-chrome:
> > $BROWSER
> > it works fine.
> > So line has to be changed using sed command to
> > BROWSER=firefox:mozilla:epiphany:konqueror:chromium-browser:google-
> > chrome:midori:$BROWSER
> >
> > This can be done on zzz-settings-openbox package using sed command.
>
> For such a static change a patch created with diff is probably the
> easier and safer alternative. Patches are only not applicable to dynamic
> changes like putting the package version somewhere or changing source
> file in a very small manner regardless of upstream changes.
> Why zzz-settings-openbox? xdg-open is from xdg-utils here.
>
> > So a salix-beta openbox it will be ready soon for public.
>
> Great! i'm almost exclusively using openbox for it's simplicity and
> configurability. Maybe I get a chance to try it out. It probably makes
> my u
> sual installation procedure much easier.
>
> Regards,
> Andreas

Re: [Salix-main] Re : Re: salix or slackel, that is the question

Dimitris Tzemos
I will not do it.
Thanks Gapan for all your help and for everything elase i have learn from you
and from all the other members of salix team.

Στις Δευ 14 Ιαν 2013 23:11:28 George Vlahavas έγραψε:

> On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 5:56 PM, Dimitris Tzemos <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > But because always people will make this question Slackel or Salix. It
> > is the truth and i dont want any harm for Salix, in the next Slackel KDE
> > current brunch release, i could turn slackel as it was in the start.
> > No salix tools or packages.
>
> No please don't do that. That would be bad for both salix and slackel.

Re: [Salix-main] Re : Re: salix or slackel, that is the question

chris

> So a salix-beta openbox it will be ready soon for public.

I am using Slackel64-openbox-1.0 and I like that it includes the
current tree of Slackware and the latest linux kernel.
SpaceFm is a great choice for an openbox or razor-qt file manager.

I assume the Salix version will be using the 14.0 repos and I see that
your new SpaceFm and QT packages were recently added to them.

Thank You Dimitri,
Chris Farrell

Re: [Salix-main] Re : Re: salix or slackel, that is the question

Tim Beech
> Well maybe it's time to put it nevertheless:
>
> http://enialis.net/~jrd/salix/salixlive/.intern/salixlive-xfce-14.0-32-alpha.iso
>
> http://enialis.net/~jrd/salix/salixlive/.intern/salixlive-xfce-14.0-32-alpha.iso.md5

I burned it to an actual optical medium (aka beermat) and had exactly
the same trouble as a while back with 13.37 Maté Live. This isn't the
same machine either - a new (cheap and cheerful) 64-bit motherboard
inside the old box. I haven't tried with a USB key (none spare) but
IIRC, with Maté that worked.

Here's a link to that convoluted thread:

http://www.salixos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=3698&hilit=+mate+live+boot

Re: [Salix-main] Re : Re: salix or slackel, that is the question

Cyrille Pontvieux
Thanks a lot for this test !

Well for this one I used choriso to make the ISO and the hybrid one.
About that thread, I'm afraid it is confused to me as there were both
information about booting from the CD and USB.
To my opinion, one problem must be addressed after another.
What bothered me first is booting from the CD (DVD actually, due to the
size).

Where did it stop in the boot process on the DVD actually?

About your test Dzemos, thank you too. About pitivi not closing, I also
found this early but forgot to report it.
Why need to upgrade salix-live-installer and the like ? Well SaLT has
changed the way to store the packages in the modules, especially the
kernel, to gain some room and being easier to manage. So the installer
and liveclone should be upgraded. LiloSetup will still work, but I want
to add grub2 feature to it, so I prefer to have full test of it later.

---
Cyrille Pontvieux - JRD

Le 2013-01-15 23:53, Tim Beech a écrit :

>> Well maybe it's time to put it nevertheless:
>>

>> http://enialis.net/~jrd/salix/salixlive/.intern/salixlive-xfce-14.0-32-alpha.iso
>>

>> http://enialis.net/~jrd/salix/salixlive/.intern/salixlive-xfce-14.0-32-alpha.iso.md5
>>
> I burned it to an actual optical medium (aka beermat) and had exactly
> the same trouble as a while back with 13.37 Maté Live. This isn't the
> same machine either - a new (cheap and cheerful) 64-bit motherboard
> inside the old box. I haven't tried with a USB key (none spare) but
> IIRC, with Maté that worked.
>
> Here's a link to that convoluted thread:
>

> http://www.salixos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=3698&hilit=+mate+live+boot

> Master SQL Server Development, Administration, T-SQL, SSAS, SSIS,
> SSRS
> and more. Get SQL Server skills now (including 2012) with LearnDevNow
> -
> 200+ hours of step-by-step video tutorials by Microsoft MVPs and
> experts.
> SALE $99.99 this month only - learn more at:
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/learnmore_122512

[Salix-main] Salix Live alpha booting problem

Tim Beech
> About that thread, I'm afraid it is confused to me as there were both
> information about booting from the CD and USB.
Indeed. Here is a better link I found within the thread itself:

http://www.salixos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=3698&start=23

> Where did it stop in the boot process on the DVD actually?

Re: [Salix-main] Salix Live alpha booting problem

Cyrille Pontvieux-2
Ok !
I'm afraid there is no solution. Your bios, for a reason I don't
understand, don't expose your optic drive to the OS (here grub2) by bios
functions.
So grub2 cannot find its own file because it cannot access the optic
drive.
Nomally you should have (cd) or (hd96) in the output of devices, or if
you type "ls" in the rescue shell. grub2 relies on the Bios to list
devices. It finds (memdisk), which is where the basic grub2 files
resides, in a memory disk as it is easy to guess. Then it finds your
hard drive (hd0) and the partitions on it (hd0, msdos 1), (hd0, msdos
5), (hd0, msdos 6), (hd0, msdos 7), (hd0, msdos 8).
So from grub2 point of view, everything is correct.

grub2 is being chainload by the eltorito bootloader, which is isolinux.
IsoLinux also relies on the Bios for reading its configfile on the
optical disk. As it chain-booted grub2 image, it found its configfile,
so AT START, the CD was found, but after chainloading to grub2, the CD
is not available anymore.
I don't know which one is faulty: isolinux?, grub2?, the bios?

Can you give me the exact model and version of your BIOS and optical
drive, I will ask directly syslinux and gnu grub on this subject.
I will also prepare for you another ISO which uses grub2 as eltorito
bootloader directly, to see if it makes a difference or not. I hope you
burnt it on a rewritable media to not waste you DVD media.
Maybe another one not isohybrid too, to see if that confuses the bios
or isolinux in some way.

Regards,
Cyrille

Le 2013-01-16 11:35, tim.beech a écrit :

>> About that thread, I'm afraid it is confused to me as there were
>> both
>> information about booting from the CD and USB.
> Indeed. Here is a better link I found within the thread itself:
>
> http://www.salixos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=3698&start=23
>

>> Where did it stop in the boot process on the DVD actually?

Re: [Salix-main] Salix Live alpha booting problem

Cyrille Pontvieux-2
Sorry, I made a lot of english errors in my last post. Too bad I see
them after posting.

Re: [Salix-main] Salix Live alpha booting problem

Tim Beech
Dear Cyrille,

I'll get back to you with the information you ask for.

Just to recall some things from the previous discussion, the problem did
not occur with 13.37 xfce live, only maté; and I think you attributed it
tentatively to some change made between those two releases. Also, some other users
experiencing the same problem did eventually turn up. The last thing you
tried was a modified image for me to test but it didn't work.

The later part of that thread is clearer (after the discussion of the
USB problem was moved to a separate thread).

I suggest we email each other directly after this (not using the mailing list)
because it could be boring for most people and clutter the list.

I'll also test the disk on the laptop (still the same one) which also
didn't boot maté live 13.37.

I can confirm that 13.37 live works fine on both machines.

Tim