Quantcast

[Salix-main] Proposal to Rebuild Faad2

Richard Lapointe
I had a discussion with ElderDryas on IRC/Jabber today regarding problems with pithos (Pandora client) package that I built for 14.0 ( It also in 14.1 now) . Seems that it would throw a gstreammer error after playing a track. After several tracks  (~7) pithos would give up and stop playing altogether claiming "Too many gstreammer errors.   The error was a decoding error having something to do with DRM.  ElderDryas also mention that he was having other problems with certain videos and audio files in vlc, parole etc.  I confirmed the problem in pithos and set out to google for a solution.   Turns out that if you build faad2 with drm decoding enabled (--with-drm) it actually "..breaks the base functionality of the package.See this.    The Salix faad2, package going back to at least 13.37, has always been built with the "--with-drm" option.   So I rebuilt the package without this option on my 14.0 system, installed it and tried pithos again which then ran with errors.   ElderDryas agreed to try the new faad2 build and after installing said that not only had it fixed the pithos error, he also was now able to play the other video and audio files without problems.  If I recall correctly we had a lot of problems with perole and vlc at the beginning of 14.0 that I'm not sure were completely cleaned up.  Maybe this was this issue back then also.

Anyway I propose that we rebuild faad2, leaving out the "--with-drm" option for 14.1 and we should also consider back porting it to 14.0.  I will be happy to build these if you want.

Regards and Happy Holidays

Rich Lapointe (laprjns)

Re: [Salix-main] Proposal to Rebuild Faad2

George Vlahavas
Hi Rich,

I have already uploaded a new faad2 (by djemos) package without this option yesterday.

Στις Παρασκευή, 20 Δεκεμβρίου 2013, ο χρήστης Richard Lapointe έγραψε:
[...]

Yes, I discovered that moments after I sent the email.  Are you going make the change in 14.0?

Rich
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

Re: [Salix-main] Proposal to Rebuild Faad2

George Vlahavas
I don't have a 14.0 system with me. But if someone submits updates, then
of course! ;)

On Fri, 20 Dec 2013, Richard Lapointe wrote:

> Yes, I discovered that moments after I sent the email.  Are you going make the change in 14.0?
>
> Rich
> Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

Rebuilt packages submitted.

Rich