[Salix-main] New tool: GUEFI

George Vlahavas
Hi all,

we have a new GUI system tool! This one is a GTK+3 frontend for efibootmgr
and can be used in UEFI systems for managing UEFI boot options. Since it
only makes sense to run it in UEFI systems, this means it can be used in
64-bit systems only.

Using GUEFI you can:
* Create a new UEFI boot entry
* Edit a UEFI boot entry
* Delete a UEFI boot entry
* Change the UEFI boot order
* Enable/disable a UEFI boot entry
* Configure a UEFI boot entry to be the default during the next boot only

The guefi package is now included in the 14.2 repositories. You should be
able to get it with:
sudo slapt-get -i guefi

as soon as your mirror syncs. If you want to get it before that, I have
also uploaded it here:
http://people.salixos.org/gapan/guefi/

Since this is new, everyone who can test it, please do so and report back.
It has already received some testing (thanks laprjns!) so there shouldn't
be any terrible bugs with it.

It does *not* work in 14.1. So you need a 14.2 64-bit installation to use
it. It will be included by default in the next beta release.

Now, guefi as all our other tools supports internationalization, so
translators are requested to visit the transifex resource page and provide
translations for your own language:
https://www.transifex.com/gapan/salix/guefi/

(some of you have already spotted the new resource on your own and have
added translations, so thanks!)

Full source code can be found in github:
https://github.com/gapan/guefi

Thank you!

Re: [Salix-main] New tool: GUEFI

Tim Beech
Great stuff! And it works! The best thing about it is the option to
change the path to what is booted. I have all sorts of crud in my /boot
from various attempts to get going with EFI, and I had been booting with
ReFind, which I dsabled in Guefi, and the first time, indeed the system
wouldn't boot at all, but I just had to boot once more in ReFind using
the BIOS popup menu, and corrected the boot path needed for Salix. So
now my machine just boots straight into it.

Unfortunately, I have no Windows, to test how that plays out.

It's brilliant, and I am hopeful it will prove to be newbie-friendly as
well. If I have time, I will write a section for the Startup Guide on
it.

On Fri, 15 Jul 2016, George Vlahavas wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> we have a new GUI system tool! This one is a GTK+3 frontend for efibootmgr
> and can be used in UEFI systems for managing UEFI boot options. Since it
> only makes sense to run it in UEFI systems, this means it can be used in
> 64-bit systems only.
>
> Using GUEFI you can:
> * Create a new UEFI boot entry
> * Edit a UEFI boot entry
> * Delete a UEFI boot entry
> * Change the UEFI boot order
> * Enable/disable a UEFI boot entry
> * Configure a UEFI boot entry to be the default during the next boot only
>
> The guefi package is now included in the 14.2 repositories. You should be
> able to get it with:
> sudo slapt-get -i guefi
>
> as soon as your mirror syncs. If you want to get it before that, I have
> also uploaded it here:
> http://people.salixos.org/gapan/guefi/
>
> Since this is new, everyone who can test it, please do so and report back.
> It has already received some testing (thanks laprjns!) so there shouldn't
> be any terrible bugs with it.
>
> It does *not* work in 14.1. So you need a 14.2 64-bit installation to use
> it. It will be included by default in the next beta release.
>
> Now, guefi as all our other tools supports internationalization, so
> translators are requested to visit the transifex resource page and provide
> translations for your own language:
> https://www.transifex.com/gapan/salix/guefi/
>
> (some of you have already spotted the new resource on your own and have
> added translations, so thanks!)
>
> Full source code can be found in github:
> https://github.com/gapan/guefi
>
> Thank you!

Re: [Salix-main] New tool: GUEFI

Richard Lapointe
Thanks George, it's a great tool that I think the greater Linux community will also find useful. I have tested it extensively on bare metal, including  editing and changing my Win 10 boot menu item. I believe that you have addressed all the bugs that I found.
I'm on an extended weekend vacation so I when I get home I will install the package then.
Sent from my iPhone (sitting by the ocean in Maine)

Ricard Lapointe

> On Jul 15, 2016, at 12:36 PM, George Vlahavas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> we have a new GUI system tool! This one is a GTK+3 frontend for efibootmgr
> and can be used in UEFI systems for managing UEFI boot options. Since it
> only makes sense to run it in UEFI systems, this means it can be used in
> 64-bit systems only.
>
> Using GUEFI you can:
> * Create a new UEFI boot entry
> * Edit a UEFI boot entry
> * Delete a UEFI boot entry
> * Change the UEFI boot order
> * Enable/disable a UEFI boot entry
> * Configure a UEFI boot entry to be the default during the next boot only
>
> The guefi package is now included in the 14.2 repositories. You should be
> able to get it with:
> sudo slapt-get -i guefi
>
> as soon as your mirror syncs. If you want to get it before that, I have
> also uploaded it here:
> http://people.salixos.org/gapan/guefi/
>
> Since this is new, everyone who can test it, please do so and report back.
> It has already received some testing (thanks laprjns!) so there shouldn't
> be any terrible bugs with it.
>
> It does *not* work in 14.1. So you need a 14.2 64-bit installation to use
> it. It will be included by default in the next beta release.
>
> Now, guefi as all our other tools supports internationalization, so
> translators are requested to visit the transifex resource page and provide
> translations for your own language:
> https://www.transifex.com/gapan/salix/guefi/
>
> (some of you have already spotted the new resource on your own and have
> added translations, so thanks!)
>
> Full source code can be found in github:
> https://github.com/gapan/guefi
>
> Thank you!

Re: [Salix-main] New tool: GUEFI

Tim Beech
I've just noticed a tiny thing, in the box to alter the timeout period,
the images for plus and minus are missing - I just see identical little
grey squares in each box. They still work, though.

Re: [Salix-main] New tool: GUEFI

George Vlahavas
Hi Tim,

I'm not home today, so I can't check for myself, but could it be the GTK
theme you're using? GUEFI is using GTK+3, so this probably looks different
than the respective widgets in GTK+2.

On Fri, 15 Jul 2016, tim.beech wrote:

> I've just noticed a tiny thing, in the box to alter the timeout period,
> the images for plus and minus are missing - I just see identical little
> grey squares in each box. They still work, though.

Re: [Salix-main] New tool: GUEFI

Tim Beech
Whatever I have is what was installed initially. I never mess with that
stuff. I'm using ratpoison at the moment not xfce, but presumably that
makes no difference.

Another thing, I wonder if a longer default timeout might not be good?
I'm thinking of the less experienced users who most need all this to be
easy for them.

On Sat, 16 Jul 2016, George Vlahavas wrote:

> Hi Tim,
>
> I'm not home today, so I can't check for myself, but could it be the GTK
> theme you're using? GUEFI is using GTK+3, so this probably looks different
> than the respective widgets in GTK+2.
>
> On Fri, 15 Jul 2016, tim.beech wrote:
>
>> I've just noticed a tiny thing, in the box to alter the timeout period,
>> the images for plus and minus are missing - I just see identical little
>> grey squares in each box. They still work, though.

Re: [Salix-main] New tool: GUEFI

Dimitris Tzemos-3
George, Gongratulations. You have done a very useful tool. Thanks.

Dimitris

On 15/07/2016 07:36 μμ, George Vlahavas wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> we have a new GUI system tool! This one is a GTK+3 frontend for efibootmgr
> and can be used in UEFI systems for managing UEFI boot options. Since it
> only makes sense to run it in UEFI systems, this means it can be used in
> 64-bit systems only.
>
> Using GUEFI you can:
> * Create a new UEFI boot entry
> * Edit a UEFI boot entry
> * Delete a UEFI boot entry
> * Change the UEFI boot order
> * Enable/disable a UEFI boot entry
> * Configure a UEFI boot entry to be the default during the next boot only
>
> The guefi package is now included in the 14.2 repositories. You should be
> able to get it with:
> sudo slapt-get -i guefi
>
> as soon as your mirror syncs. If you want to get it before that, I have
> also uploaded it here:
> http://people.salixos.org/gapan/guefi/
>
> Since this is new, everyone who can test it, please do so and report back.
> It has already received some testing (thanks laprjns!) so there shouldn't
> be any terrible bugs with it.
>
> It does *not* work in 14.1. So you need a 14.2 64-bit installation to use
> it. It will be included by default in the next beta release.
>
> Now, guefi as all our other tools supports internationalization, so
> translators are requested to visit the transifex resource page and provide
> translations for your own language:
> https://www.transifex.com/gapan/salix/guefi/
>
> (some of you have already spotted the new resource on your own and have
> added translations, so thanks!)
>
> Full source code can be found in github:
> https://github.com/gapan/guefi
>
> Thank you!

Re: [Salix-main] New tool: GUEFI

Richard Lapointe
So because of Tim's comment regarding the timeout setting, I finally googled what this function did. To my surprise (but it should have been obvious) the timeout controls how long the built in uefi boot menu is displayed before booting the  default OS. Every uefi system I have worked apparently has this time out set to"1" because I never see the built in menu come up unless I press the key that activated it.  It appears that the hardware / firmware vendors are setting one second as the default which makes it appear as there is no boot manger and loads the OS iimmediately.  This then creates confusion when a second operating system is installed; with the installer setting  the new OS as the default boot (makes it the first boot option) and  boots the new OS thereafter making it appear as if the original OS is no longer available ( I installed Slackware and it blew away my Win 20 install!!).

Setting the timeout to something more reasonable, like 10 to 30 seconds would make these multi-boot issues go away and eliminate ( in most cases) the need for boot managers like grub2 and rEFInd. This is  should be considered as part of the installation when eliloconf is ran.

Sent from my iPhone

Ricard Lapointe

> On Jul 16, 2016, at 4:53 AM, tim.beech <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Whatever I have is what was installed initially. I never mess with that
> stuff. I'm using ratpoison at the moment not xfce, but presumably that
> makes no difference.
>
> Another thing, I wonder if a longer default timeout might not be good?
> I'm thinking of the less experienced users who most need all this to be
> easy for them.
>
>> On Sat, 16 Jul 2016, George Vlahavas wrote:
>>
>> Hi Tim,
>>
>> I'm not home today, so I can't check for myself, but could it be the GTK
>> theme you're using? GUEFI is using GTK+3, so this probably looks different
>> than the respective widgets in GTK+2.
>>
>>> On Fri, 15 Jul 2016, tim.beech wrote:
>>>
>>> I've just noticed a tiny thing, in the box to alter the timeout period,
>>> the images for plus and minus are missing - I just see identical little
>>> grey squares in each box. They still work, though.

Re: [Salix-main] New tool: GUEFI

Tim Beech
Very good point. We don't want people thinking "Where on earth did Windows go when I installed this Linux thing?"

Setting the timeout to something more reasonable, like 10 to 30 seconds would make these multi-boot issues go away and eliminate ( in most cases) the need for boot managers like grub2 and rEFInd. This is  should be considered as part of the installation when eliloconf is ran.

Sent from my iPhone

Ricard Lapointe

> On Jul 16, 2016, at 4:53 AM, tim.beech <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Whatever I have is what was installed initially. I never mess with that
> stuff. I'm using ratpoison at the moment not xfce, but presumably that
> makes no difference.
>
> Another thing, I wonder if a longer default timeout might not be good?
> I'm thinking of the less experienced users who most need all this to be
> easy for them.
>
>> On Sat, 16 Jul 2016, George Vlahavas wrote:
>>
>> Hi Tim,
>>
>> I'm not home today, so I can't check for myself, but could it be the GTK
>> theme you're using? GUEFI is using GTK+3, so this probably looks different
>> than the respective widgets in GTK+2.
>>
>>> On Fri, 15 Jul 2016, tim.beech wrote:
>>>
>>> I've just noticed a tiny thing, in the box to alter the timeout period,
>>> the images for plus and minus are missing - I just see identical little
>>> grey squares in each box. They still work, though.

Re: [Salix-main] New tool: GUEFI

Yes, it could be that the theme you're using in ratpoison is not the same
default as with Xfce. Look into your ~/.gtkrc-2.0 and in your
~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini and make sure gtk-theme-name is set to
"Adwaita".

On Sat, 16 Jul 2016, tim.beech wrote:

> Whatever I have is what was installed initially. I never mess with that
> stuff. I'm using ratpoison at the moment not xfce, but presumably that
> makes no difference.
>
> Another thing, I wonder if a longer default timeout might not be good?
> I'm thinking of the less experienced users who most need all this to be
> easy for them.
>
> On Sat, 16 Jul 2016, George Vlahavas wrote:
>
>> Hi Tim,
>>
>> I'm not home today, so I can't check for myself, but could it be the GTK
>> theme you're using? GUEFI is using GTK+3, so this probably looks different
>> than the respective widgets in GTK+2.
>>
>> On Fri, 15 Jul 2016, tim.beech wrote:
>>
>>> I've just noticed a tiny thing, in the box to alter the timeout period,
>>> the images for plus and minus are missing - I just see identical little
>>> grey squares in each box. They still work, though.

Re: [Salix-main] New tool: GUEFI

Right. The correct place to set that should probably be eliloconfig. I'll
look into it. 10 seconds should be enough I think.

On Sat, 16 Jul 2016, Richard Lapointe wrote:

> So because of Tim's comment regarding the timeout setting, I finally googled what this function did. To my surprise (but it should have been obvious) the timeout controls how long the built in uefi boot menu is displayed before booting the  default OS. Every uefi system I have worked apparently has this time out set to"1" because I never see the built in menu come up unless I press the key that activated it.  It appears that the hardware / firmware vendors are setting one second as the default which makes it appear as there is no boot manger and loads the OS iimmediately.  This then creates confusion when a second operating system is installed; with the installer setting  the new OS as the default boot (makes it the first boot option) and  boots the new OS thereafter making it appear as if the original OS is no longer available ( I installed Slackware and it blew away my Win 20 install!!).
>
> Setting the timeout to something more reasonable, like 10 to 30 seconds would make these multi-boot issues go away and eliminate ( in most cases) the need for boot managers like grub2 and rEFInd. This is  should be considered as part of the installation when eliloconf is ran.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> Ricard Lapointe
>
>> On Jul 16, 2016, at 4:53 AM, tim.beech <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Whatever I have is what was installed initially. I never mess with that
>> stuff. I'm using ratpoison at the moment not xfce, but presumably that
>> makes no difference.
>>
>> Another thing, I wonder if a longer default timeout might not be good?
>> I'm thinking of the less experienced users who most need all this to be
>> easy for them.
>>
>>> On Sat, 16 Jul 2016, George Vlahavas wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Tim,
>>>
>>> I'm not home today, so I can't check for myself, but could it be the GTK
>>> theme you're using? GUEFI is using GTK+3, so this probably looks different
>>> than the respective widgets in GTK+2.

Re: [Salix-main] New tool: GUEFI

Tim Beech

On Sat, 16 Jul 2016, George Vlahavas wrote:

> Yes, it could be that the theme you're using in ratpoison is not the same
> default as with Xfce. Look into your ~/.gtkrc-2.0 and in your
> ~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini and make sure gtk-theme-name is set to
> "Adwaita".
Those are unchanged, and indeed, when I go to xfce on boot by doing

sudo init 4

instead of startx, the symbols appear correctly as a plus and minus
sign. I don't think this is probably of any importance.

However, with the delay set to 10, what I see is not a choice between
the options I ticked - rather, the iniitial BIOS screen, inviting me to press
Del to enter setup or F8 for popup menu, just sits there for ten extra
seconds before booting whatever the first option was.

Re: [Salix-main] New tool: GUEFI

Richard Lapointe
Sorry but will not be able to test until Tuesday.  I'm on a technology free (accept for smart phones because the wife has one) extended weekend vacation.

Sent from my iPhone

Ricard Lapointe

> On Jul 16, 2016, at 3:13 PM, tim.beech <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On Sat, 16 Jul 2016, George Vlahavas wrote:
>>
>> Yes, it could be that the theme you're using in ratpoison is not the same
>> default as with Xfce. Look into your ~/.gtkrc-2.0 and in your
>> ~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini and make sure gtk-theme-name is set to
>> "Adwaita".
> Those are unchanged, and indeed, when I go to xfce on boot by doing
>
> sudo init 4
>
> instead of startx, the symbols appear correctly as a plus and minus
> sign. I don't think this is probably of any importance.
>
> However, with the delay set to 10, what I see is not a choice between
> the options I ticked - rather, the iniitial BIOS screen, inviting me to press
> Del to enter setup or F8 for popup menu, just sits there for ten extra
> seconds before booting whatever the first option was.

Re: [Salix-main] New tool: GUEFI

Richard Lapointe

I played around with the timeout value on my Asus Laptop and am very disappointment that it does not control how long the builtin UEFI boot menu is displayed.  Rather it just allows you to adjust the time that you have to press the key which does bring up the UEFI menu.  On my Asus laptop in CMS mode it just sits at the boot splash screen for the length of time that the timeout is set at. In pure UEFI mode it just displays a blank screen or the duration of the set timeout. In both cases, during this time, I can press the ESC key and bring up the boot menu screen.  So it looks to me like there still will be a need for a 3rd party boot manager like grub2 or rEFInd.

Rich Lapointe

reports.http://sdm.link/zohodev2dev