Quantcast

[Salix-main] New Startup Guide

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

[Salix-main] New Startup Guide

George Vlahavas
Hi,

with the valuable help of mimosa the new version of the startup guide is
almost ready. You can find a draft version of it in pdf form at the
following address:
http://people.salixos.org/gapan/guide/SalixStartupGuide_Draft_20140218.pdf

We would appreciate anyone taking a second look and commenting on it. It
hasn't gone through any proof reading at all yet, so there might be some
things that are off.

We'd like to have it ready by the time 14.1 is released (which is not that
far off now).

Thanks!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Managing the Performance of Cloud-Based Applications
Take advantage of what the Cloud has to offer - Avoid Common Pitfalls.
Read the Whitepaper.
http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=121054471&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk
_______________________________________________
Salix-main mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/salix-main
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Salix-main] New Startup Guide

Dave Cantrell

On 02/18/2014 11:39 AM, George Vlahavas wrote:
> We would appreciate anyone taking a second look and commenting on it. It
> hasn't gone through any proof reading at all yet, so there might be some
> things that are off.
>
As I read it, I'll submit my observations in small bunches:

1) About this manual -> "The latest version of this document is
available from our website" -> the link takes one to the Salix home
page, shouldn't it take one directly to the Startup Guide?

2) 2.2.1 Before starting -> "Recommended running specification (Intel
PIII 1 GHz, 512 Mb RAM, 8Gb HD space, or equivalent," -> This is the
<recommeded> specification or <minimum> recommeded specification?
Semantics maybe, but it sounds like Salix is "recommending" old hardware.

And wouldn't this be a good spot for a note on non-PAE+Salix?

3) Shouldn't "2.5 Partition management with cfdisk" be after 2.2.2
Partition Management (or part of it) and before "2.3 Installing from a
Salix Installation CD (all partitioning instructions before installing
instructions)?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Managing the Performance of Cloud-Based Applications
Take advantage of what the Cloud has to offer - Avoid Common Pitfalls.
Read the Whitepaper.
http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=121054471&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk
_______________________________________________
Salix-main mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/salix-main
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Salix-main] New Startup Guide

George Vlahavas
Thanks to everyone that helped, I have now uploaded the guide and added a
new link for it in the sidebar in the main page. It can be viewed online
at http://guide.salixos.org and a pdf file is also available.

I'm sure there are still things that need fixing/editing, but I believe
it's ready for public release as it is.

On Tue, 18 Feb 2014, Dave Cantrell wrote:
> As I read it, I'll submit my observations in small bunches:
>
> 1) About this manual -> "The latest version of this document is
> available from our website" -> the link takes one to the Salix home
> page, shouldn't it take one directly to the Startup Guide?

Not really. The link is to the website, which now has a link to the guide.
;)

> 2) 2.2.1 Before starting -> "Recommended running specification (Intel
> PIII 1 GHz, 512 Mb RAM, 8Gb HD space, or equivalent," -> This is the
> <recommeded> specification or <minimum> recommeded specification?
> Semantics maybe, but it sounds like Salix is "recommending" old hardware.

Fixed, thanks.

> And wouldn't this be a good spot for a note on non-PAE+Salix?

Probably, we'll have to see how to fit that in too. But actually, since
the recommended minimum is a PIII, PAE should never be a problem.

> 3) Shouldn't "2.5 Partition management with cfdisk" be after 2.2.2
> Partition Management (or part of it) and before "2.3 Installing from a
> Salix Installation CD (all partitioning instructions before installing
> instructions)?

The first "partition management" section refers to partitioning before
starting the actual installation. The cfdisk section is more specific on
how to use cfdisk during installation, that's why it's later on. It's not
perfect, but at this point it would need a complete rewrite to rearrange
it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Managing the Performance of Cloud-Based Applications
Take advantage of what the Cloud has to offer - Avoid Common Pitfalls.
Read the Whitepaper.
http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=121054471&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk
_______________________________________________
Salix-main mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/salix-main
Loading...