Quantcast

Re: [Salix-main] tetex install doesn't update PATH

Re: [Salix-main] tetex install doesn't update PATH

George Vlahavas
Hi Christopher,

yes, the PATH in salix doesn't include anything tetex specific as tetex is not installed by default in any salix edition. I know this is not written somewhere officially, but honestly, the recommended way to install latex would not be tetex, but rather texlive. Tetex is old and unmaintained and wont work at all with several newer latex packages and I don't really know why slackware is still keeping it. If you really want to use latex, rather than just having it installed, use texlive. Texlive works and is very easy to install. Just install texlive somewhere in your system (I have it under ~/texlive) and just add the bin directory in there to your PATH.

On Sat, Dec 15, 2012 at 5:56 AM, Christopher Rodriguez <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello All,

I've just finished installing Salix-OS on a few computers in my community, and I am
a bit surprised to see LaTeX not supported out of the box. However, in the Gslapt
Repository there is a tetex package, which easily installs... so this isn't a big issue for
me.

In Slackware, the default PATH already includes the /usr/share/texmf/bin directory as tetex
is fully installed. However, this is not the case in Salix... And, on installing tetex, the PATH
is not updated automatically. I would understand if this were a slackbuild, but it is actually
a package installed from gslapt... it should add the directories automatically, at least to
/etc/profile.

Anyway, is this an upstream problem, or is it something that may be solved from Salix?
It is not really that important, since it works if You add /usr/share/texmf/bin/ to the user's
PATH, but it is something I feel should be addressed. If it is fixable, where should I report
this, or how can I contribute a fix?

Sorry for my rather basic questions. I just want to do this right, as I am VERY impressed
with Salix and want it to be as complete as possible.

Thank You very much for Your time,

Christopher Rodriguez