Re: [Salix-main] Re : Forum down

12

Re: [Salix-main] Re : Forum down

thenktor
> If we want, it is easy to test. On nabble, just go to archive a ML :
>
> And it's ready, users can post through the ML or through the Web UI.

Going straight forward I've created a test account for salix-main:
http://salix-main.2320736.n4.nabble.com/
This might be useful and if not we still can delete it again.

> My 0.02 €, even if I'm not really objectif as I don't like using web
> based forum :P

IMHO a ML and a forum is different. I like my MLs low frequented and used for developer related stuff. I still prefer a web based forum for every day use.

Re: [Salix-main] Re : Forum down

George Vlahavas
These look nice, but there are 2 main issues:

1. How do you deal with spam? It seems that anyone can register online and once an email is sent, you can't delete it.
2. What happens to all that stuff that we already have posted in our forums? Can they be migrated?

On Sat, Dec 15, 2012 at 6:57 PM, Frédéric Galusik <[hidden email]> wrote:
Do we really need a such bloated forum with a such bloated database ? :P

I would love to see a simple forum synced with our mailing-list.
Else, do you know nabble and how mailing lists can be use ?
http://www.nabble.com/

Examples :
Python ML : http://python.6.n6.nabble.com/
FreeBSD : http://freebsd.1045724.n5.nabble.com/
Even more integrated, the libreoffice one :

If we want, it is easy to test. On nabble, just go to archive a ML :

And it's ready, users can post through the ML or through the Web UI.

If we want to embed it to a Salix HTML page, it is just a code
copy/paste and, voilà ;)
http://n4.nabble.com/help/Answer.jtp?id=36

No more work to maintain it, no more downed forum, just some happy people.

My 0.02 €, even if I'm not really objectif as I don't like using web
based forum :P

++fredg

2012/12/15 George Vlahavas <[hidden email]>:
> And it's down again. Actually it was down for several hours earlier, then it
> came back for a bit and now it's down again. Generally, the last few days it
> seems to be more down than up.
>

> On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 7:15 AM, jayseye <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Response time seems extremely slow ATM, and have noticed (and
>> reported) some spam posts. It's still possible IMO that the database
>> corruption could be related to attacks.
>>
>> On 12/9/12, Pierrick Le Brun <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Sorry, was away for two days for a series of christmas shows.
>> >
>> > Just came back this evening and saw that it was down again.
>> >
>> > I'll give it an thorough audit as soon as christmas season ease up.
>> > Until
>> > then I'll check it more often to limit the down tîme.
>> >
>> > Pierrick

Google+: https://plus.google.com/108565419331171281999
GPG ID: 2E31334B

Re: [Salix-main] Re : Forum down

Tim Beech

Would this be searchable? I find the forum archive an invaluable
resource, as must a lot of other beginners. Indeed, I often look up the
solutions to my own problems when they recur.

Also, I generally prefer working from the comamnd line, but I find the
forum's interface attractive and easy to use. I don't fully understand
the alternative, but I bet a lot of users like the existing interface
(though obviously not the crashes).

Tim / mimosa
On Wed, 19 Dec 2012, George Vlahavas wrote:

> These look nice, but there are 2 main issues:
> 1. How do you deal with spam? It seems that anyone can register online and once an email is
> sent, you can't delete it.
> 2. What happens to all that stuff that we already have posted in our forums? Can they be
> migrated?

Re: [Salix-main] Re : Forum down

thenktor
> Also, I generally prefer working from the comamnd line, but I find the
> forum's interface attractive and easy to use.

+1

--
Thorsten Mühlfelder
Salix OS: www.salixos.org

Re: [Salix-main] Re : Forum down

thenktor
> 1. How do you deal with spam? It seems that anyone can register online and once an email is sent, you can't delete it.

Even if you can delete it online, it's already in the inboxes of the mailing list subscribers.

Still this IMHO is a nice to use interface for a mailing list, but no replacement for a web forum.

Re: [Salix-main] Re : Forum down

thenktor

Re: [Salix-main] Re : Forum down

Cyrille Pontvieux-2
Icould help Akuna finding the problem. I have a similar forum in
Animeka, and I'm pretty sure the problem is on MySQL side
(configuration). It is now possible to run phpbb with another database,
like postgresql. Think could probably solve some problems. A postgresql
package is available on both 13.37 and 14.0 (if the server is running
Salix).

Le 2012-12-19 21:38, Thorsten Mühlfelder a écrit :

> [...]

Now it happened for me that all services on salixos.org timed out:
salixos.org web page
salixos.org forum
salixos.org imap server
simplynux.net webmail

After a minute it came back and now the forum mysql table is broken again. Can someone check the uptime? Did the server crash and reboot? Did apache crash?

Re: [Salix-main] Re : Forum down

jayseye
Forum is inaccessible from here (U.S.A), shortly after a flurry of
spam posts. I understand that some believe that these are unrelated
events. Would just encourage everyone to keep an open mind when
troubleshooting ;->

On 12/20/12, Thorsten Mühlfelder <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Also I'm not sure if phpbb is the problem here. Maybe MySQL itself causes
>> the errors, but this definiteley should _not_ happen. It may be caused by
>> bad server hardware then.
>
> Now it happened for me that all services on salixos.org timed out:
> salixos.org web page
> salixos.org forum
> salixos.org imap server
> simplynux.net webmail
>
> After a minute it came back and now the forum mysql table is broken again.
> Can someone check the uptime? Did the server crash and reboot? Did apache
> crash?

Re: [Salix-main] Re : Forum down

jayseye
Forum is back now, running fine. As a possible diagnostic data point,
when it _was_ inaccessible, I got the following confirmation from
<http://www.isup.me/forum.salixos.org>:

"It's not just you! http://forum.salixos.org looks down from here."

Regards,
Marc Paul Rubin (jayseye)

On 12/28/12, jayseye <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Forum is inaccessible from here (U.S.A), shortly after a flurry of
> spam posts. I understand that some believe that these are unrelated
> events. Would just encourage everyone to keep an open mind when
> troubleshooting ;->
>
> On 12/20/12, Thorsten Mühlfelder <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Also I'm not sure if phpbb is the problem here. Maybe MySQL itself
>>> causes
>>> the errors, but this definiteley should _not_ happen. It may be caused
>>> by
>>> bad server hardware then.
>>
>> Now it happened for me that all services on salixos.org timed out:
>> salixos.org web page
>> salixos.org forum
>> salixos.org imap server
>> simplynux.net webmail
>>
>> After a minute it came back and now the forum mysql table is broken
>> again.
>> Can someone check the uptime? Did the server crash and reboot? Did apache
>> crash?

Re: [Salix-main] Re : Forum down

Pierrick Le Brun
Thanks Marc.

I don't know who believe it is is unrelated as it certainly can be. The
reason the forum is down sporadically is usually due to the overall
server first grinding to a halt. This could be due to spamers but also
spiders' peak activities and/or some hardware limitations or failures.
The often resulting mysql corrupted tables are a consequence, not a cause.

I'm now back to a more reasonable schedule where I can finally do
something about it and look into this more thoroughly.

Pierrick

Le 29/12/2012 06:14, jayseye a écrit :

> Forum is back now, running fine. As a possible diagnostic data point,
> when it _was_ inaccessible, I got the following confirmation from
> <http://www.isup.me/forum.salixos.org>:
>
> "It's not just you! http://forum.salixos.org looks down from here."
>
> Regards,
> Marc Paul Rubin (jayseye)
>
> On 12/28/12, jayseye <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Forum is inaccessible from here (U.S.A), shortly after a flurry of
>> spam posts. I understand that some believe that these are unrelated
>> events. Would just encourage everyone to keep an open mind when
>> troubleshooting ;->

>>> Now it happened for me that all services on salixos.org timed out:
>>> salixos.org web page
>>> salixos.org forum
>>> salixos.org imap server
>>> simplynux.net webmail
>>>
>>> After a minute it came back and now the forum mysql table is broken
>>> again.
>>> Can someone check the uptime? Did the server crash and reboot? Did apache
>>> crash?

Re: [Salix-main] Re : Forum down

George Vlahavas
I have also noticed that the phpbb version we're using is now out of
date. Maybe we should upgrade to the latest. Thorsten?

On Sat, Dec 29, 2012 at 12:10 PM, Pierrick Le Brun <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Marc.
>
> I don't know who believe it is is unrelated as it certainly can be. The
> reason the forum is down sporadically is usually due to the overall
> server first grinding to a halt. This could be due to spamers but also
> spiders' peak activities and/or some hardware limitations or failures.
> The often resulting mysql corrupted tables are a consequence, not a cause.
>
> I'm now back to a more reasonable schedule where I can finally do
> something about it and look into this more thoroughly.
>
> Pierrick
>

> Le 29/12/2012 06:14, jayseye a écrit :
>> Forum is back now, running fine. As a possible diagnostic data point,
>> when it _was_ inaccessible, I got the following confirmation from
>> <http://www.isup.me/forum.salixos.org>:
>>
>> "It's not just you! http://forum.salixos.org looks down from here."
>>
>> Regards,
>> Marc Paul Rubin (jayseye)
>>
>> On 12/28/12, jayseye <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Forum is inaccessible from here (U.S.A), shortly after a flurry of
>>> spam posts. I understand that some believe that these are unrelated
>>> events. Would just encourage everyone to keep an open mind when
>>> troubleshooting ;->

Re: [Salix-main] Re : Forum down

jayseye
You're welcome, Pierrick -

One more data point: The Forum just started to slow down again, and I
notice that page loads are not completing. Firefox just keeps
reporting "Read www.salix.org" and the little "throbber" on that
browser tab just keeps spinning.

FWIW, I also like the idea of upgrading phpBB.

Marc

On 12/29/12, Pierrick Le Brun <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Marc.
>
> I don't know who believe it is is unrelated as it certainly can be. The
> reason the forum is down sporadically is usually due to the overall
> server first grinding to a halt. This could be due to spamers but also
> spiders' peak activities and/or some hardware limitations or failures.
> The often resulting mysql corrupted tables are a consequence, not a cause.
>
> I'm now back to a more reasonable schedule where I can finally do
> something about it and look into this more thoroughly.
>
> Pierrick
>

> Le 29/12/2012 06:14, jayseye a écrit :
>> Forum is back now, running fine. As a possible diagnostic data point,
>> when it _was_ inaccessible, I got the following confirmation from
>> <http://www.isup.me/forum.salixos.org>:
>>
>> "It's not just you! http://forum.salixos.org looks down from here."
>>
>> Regards,
>> Marc Paul Rubin (jayseye)
>>
>> On 12/28/12, jayseye <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Forum is inaccessible from here (U.S.A), shortly after a flurry of
>>> spam posts. I understand that some believe that these are unrelated
>>> events. Would just encourage everyone to keep an open mind when
>>> troubleshooting ;->

Re: [Salix-main] Re : Forum down

Pierrick Le Brun
Yes it seems a bit sluggish, although nothing out or the ordinary
regarding the memory ATM. (There was a shortage of memory yesterday
where oom-killer was invoked repeatedly and the forum went down as you
reported then).

Le 29/12/2012 21:54, jayseye a écrit :

> You're welcome, Pierrick -
>
> One more data point: The Forum just started to slow down again, and I
> notice that page loads are not completing. Firefox just keeps
> reporting "Read www.salix.org" and the little "throbber" on that
> browser tab just keeps spinning.
>
> FWIW, I also like the idea of upgrading phpBB.
>
> Marc
>
> On 12/29/12, Pierrick Le Brun <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Thanks Marc.
>>
>> I don't know who believe it is is unrelated as it certainly can be. The
>> reason the forum is down sporadically is usually due to the overall
>> server first grinding to a halt. This could be due to spamers but also
>> spiders' peak activities and/or some hardware limitations or failures.
>> The often resulting mysql corrupted tables are a consequence, not a cause.
>>
>> I'm now back to a more reasonable schedule where I can finally do
>> something about it and look into this more thoroughly.
>>
>> Pierrick
>>

>> Le 29/12/2012 06:14, jayseye a écrit :
>>> Forum is back now, running fine. As a possible diagnostic data point,
>>> when it _was_ inaccessible, I got the following confirmation from
>>> <http://www.isup.me/forum.salixos.org>:
>>>
>>> "It's not just you! http://forum.salixos.org looks down from here."
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Marc Paul Rubin (jayseye)

Re: [Salix-main] Re : Forum down

jayseye
So we can probably assume, then, that the server PC already has its
maximum amount of physical RAM installed... Otherwise we'd have seen a
plea for donations ;->

Re: [Salix-main] Re : Forum down

thenktor
> Yes it seems a bit sluggish, although nothing out or the ordinary
> regarding the memory ATM. (There was a shortage of memory yesterday
> where oom-killer was invoked repeatedly and the forum went down as you
> reported then).

Try these:

1) Displaying top CPU_consuming processes:
ps aux | head -1; ps aux | sort -rn +2 | head -10

2) Displaying top 10 memory-sonsuming processes:
ps aux | head -1; ps aux | sort -rn +3 | head

Maybe we sould really have a look into a more lightweight forum? I'm a bit annoyed of the phpbb admin interface anyway :D

Re: [Salix-main] Re : Forum down

Pierrick Le Brun
Actually that server should have plenty memory and CPU for our usage.

I am fine-tuning fail2ban and have blocked rogue IP's who have been
flooding http access. Let's see what comes out of this.

I'm not that enthusiast about migrating the forum and loosing important
historic. Let's also see the result of updating it to its latest version.

Pierrick

Le 30/12/2012 12:01, Thorsten Mühlfelder a écrit :

>> Yes it seems a bit sluggish, although nothing out or the ordinary
>> regarding the memory ATM. (There was a shortage of memory yesterday
>> where oom-killer was invoked repeatedly and the forum went down as you
>> reported then).
> Try these:
>
> 1) Displaying top CPU_consuming processes:
> ps aux | head -1; ps aux | sort -rn +2 | head -10
>
> 2) Displaying top 10 memory-sonsuming processes:
> ps aux | head -1; ps aux | sort -rn +3 | head
>

> Maybe we sould really have a look into a more lightweight forum? I'm a bit annoyed of the phpbb admin interface anyway :D

Re: [Salix-main] Re : Forum down

thenktor
> Actually that server should have plenty memory and CPU for our usage.

I've thought so. That's why I'm interested in the memory consuming processes.

> I'm not that enthusiast about migrating the forum and loosing important
> historic. Let's also see the result of updating it to its latest version.

I'd only consider a migration if the existing entries can be saved.

Thorsten

Re: [Salix-main] Re : Forum down

thenktor
> I have also noticed that the phpbb version we're using is now out of
> date. Maybe we should upgrade to the latest. Thorsten?

Done.

Re: [Salix-main] Re : Forum down

jayseye
A _post-dated_ Post just alerted me to manually turn off Daylight
Savings Time in the User Control Panel. Along the way I found, at the
bottom of each page, "Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB
Group."

Perhaps that "2007" just a cosmetic left-over from the previous
version's template. In any case, the Forum seems very responsive
tonight. Looking forward to a happy, and more stable, New Year at
<salixos.org>!

On 12/30/12, Thorsten Mühlfelder <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> I have also noticed that the phpbb version we're using is now out of
>> date. Maybe we should upgrade to the latest. Thorsten?
>
> Done.

12